Forums
March 28, 2024, 09:48 AM

Author Topic: Current status of the League  (Read 17442 times)

Offline skunk3

Re: Current status of the League
« Reply #180 on: August 05, 2018, 10:20 PM »
skunk, honestly the old me would absolutely annihilate me now at rope hahaha!

You say that but what is more likely is that you felt more confident at rope back then because of your skill relative to that of other players. Generally speaking a player from today who has all those extra years of experience and practice would destroy their past self as well as most other people. You might be rusty at certain schemes that were more popular back then than today but overall I guarantee that a lot of those memories we have of godly players from way back in the day are heavily rose-tinted from our nostalgia glasses and that players only get better as time goes on, not worse. That's just my opinion, anyhow.

Of course people are different than others and some people can develop roughly the same amount of skill as someone else in far less time, which explains how some people who haven't been playing that long (relatively speaking) can hold their own against people who have been playing from day one, or close to it. I remember pre-Mablak Mablak, when he was just an average player. He was never godly at anything for the longest time... just another person and I played with him a bunch. Then in less than a year he went from an average player to an excellent player, which brings me back to my point that experience matters in Worms, as does routine practice. I am certain that if we took pretty much any good player from today and sent them back in time to WormNET in 99-00 they would utterly rape everyone, including those old names we miss so much.

Also, as an unrelated side note, I've noticed that if I play for an extended period of time and then take a break (a few months, maybe) from Worms I end up playing better than if I played straight through. I think that taking a break from Worms every once in a while is a good thing because some players (myself, at least) develop bad habits and when you can take a break and press the 'reset' button and come back to the game fresh you remember what you should and shouldn't do and those bad habits get dropped. I might be a little rusty for the first few days but eventually my skills come back and I play better than before because I can take all of that experience forward and start over again clean.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:26 PM by skunk3 »

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #181 on: August 05, 2018, 10:47 PM »

You say that but what is more likely is that you felt more confident at rope back then because of your skill relative to that of other players. Generally speaking a player from today who has all those extra years of experience and practice would destroy their past self as well as most other people. You might be rusty at certain schemes that were more popular back then than today but overall I guarantee that a lot of those memories we have of godly players from way back in the day are heavily rose-tinted from our nostalgia glasses and that players only get better as time goes on, not worse. That's just my opinion, anyhow.

Of course people are different than others and some people can develop roughly the same amount of skill as someone else in far less time, which explains how some people who haven't been playing that long (relatively speaking) can hold their own against people who have been playing from day one, or close to it. I remember pre-Mablak Mablak, when he was just an average player. He was never godly at anything for the longest time... just another person and I played with him a bunch. Then in less than a year he went from an average player to an excellent player, which brings me back to my point that experience matters in Worms, as does routine practice. I am certain that if we took pretty much any good player from today and sent them back in time to WormNET in 99-00 they would utterly rape everyone, including those old names we miss so much.

Also, as an unrelated side note, I've noticed that if I play for an extended period of time and then take a break (a few months, maybe) from Worms I end up playing better than if I played straight through. I think that taking a break from Worms every once in a while is a good thing because some players (myself, at least) develop bad habits and when you can take a break and press the 'reset' button and come back to the game fresh you remember what you should and shouldn't do and those bad habits get dropped. I might be a little rusty for the first few days but eventually my skills come back and I play better than before because I can take all of that experience forward and start over again clean.
You always re-imagine old players, Cody was better than me in 2001 and he is better than me in 2019.  You do revisionist history better than anyone I know.  You can't beat me in a bo7 and i cant beat mablak in a bo7, so you are a few standard deviations from a worms pro.  You'll get there if you spend half as much time talking about how great you used to be, as you claim your mastery to be.  You have to play much more to jump up to the next tier, right now you are relegated to being a has been.  You play one or two schemes well, but that doesn't give you carte blanche to say or do whatever you want, it just makes you into the next Zalo.  Your lack of humility is  incredibly annoying to me, nothing worse than a player who thinks he is way better than he is.  I'll offer a paypal match which you will inevitably decline, but ill give you 10-1 odds on a bo7, you are that much of an underdog in a real competitive match.  And you bet your ass I'll show up, unlike Zalo, and in not even in shape anymore, I don't play this game anymore.  You won't back it up, though, I'm sure there will be some apologist reply by this time tomorrow. 

Skill has gotten better, and you are blinded because you play nobodys all day in a deserted server.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:56 PM by TheWalrus »

Offline WTF-8

« Reply #182 on: August 06, 2018, 12:49 AM »
Also, as an unrelated side note, I've noticed that if I play for an extended period of time and then take a break (a few months, maybe) from Worms I end up playing better than if I played straight through. I think that taking a break from Worms every once in a while is a good thing because some players (myself, at least) develop bad habits and when you can take a break and press the 'reset' button and come back to the game fresh you remember what you should and shouldn't do and those bad habits get dropped.
<Cueshark> i found that after a long break from rr isn't so bad...you might forget a little about how to rope correctly but you also forget a little about roping incorrectly
The manual in the installation folder is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #183 on: August 06, 2018, 01:15 AM »
You say that but what is more likely is that you felt more confident at rope back then because of your skill relative to that of other players.

This is beyond madness...

There is so much wrong with what you said it's frustrating choosing where to begin.

Well, to begin with, I said the old me would absolutely annihilate me now, not the old me would absolutely annihilate me if I practised for a year straight.

Next, I know myself and my experiences, that I experienced by the way, better than anyone.

I already explained my story earlier about how I exclusively switched schemes for like 10 years and very rarely ever roped during that whole period, and now even on TUS when I started to Rope again it was never the same without my old keyboard, not to mention i've just NEVER felt the passion that I felt back then, and that I was mostly picking BnG/Hysteria at every opportunity, I did get back into rope for 1-2 years when I was in cfc, but I still focused more on BnG.

Before BnG, I only focused on Rope, during BnG I focused on BnG, during TUS I played a lot of everything but spent a few years focused on mastering Darts as well.

Yeah you are right, people get better with time and practise, but I haven't spent my time practising, I can't believe that isn't obvious to you.

I had a funny vision, you on Jerry Springer right after he tells us his "Final Thought" and you turn round and try to convince the audience "What he meant to say was..."

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 01:16 AM by TheKomodo »

Offline skunk3

« Reply #184 on: August 06, 2018, 01:22 AM »

You always re-imagine old players, Cody was better than me in 2001 and he is better than me in 2019.  You do revisionist history better than anyone I know.  You can't beat me in a bo7 and i cant beat mablak in a bo7, so you are a few standard deviations from a worms pro.  You'll get there if you spend half as much time talking about how great you used to be, as you claim your mastery to be.  You have to play much more to jump up to the next tier, right now you are relegated to being a has been.  You play one or two schemes well, but that doesn't give you carte blanche to say or do whatever you want, it just makes you into the next Zalo.  Your lack of humility is  incredibly annoying to me, nothing worse than a player who thinks he is way better than he is.  I'll offer a paypal match which you will inevitably decline, but ill give you 10-1 odds on a bo7, you are that much of an underdog in a real competitive match.  And you bet your ass I'll show up, unlike Zalo, and in not even in shape anymore, I don't play this game anymore.  You won't back it up, though, I'm sure there will be some apologist reply by this time tomorrow. 

Skill has gotten better, and you are blinded because you play nobodys all day in a deserted server.

What is with your shitty attitude lately? Every time you respond to anything that I say it's always argumentative, hateful, spiteful, etc.

It makes rational sense that someone with nearly 20 years of Worms experience is going to trounce someone who is playing a game that is only 1-2 years old, am I right? I am not "revising" history here. All I said is that players tend to get better over time and that a lot of the greatness we remember from the past (not always, but mostly) is distorted by nostalgia and a lack of perspective. Someone who was an amazing player back in the early 2000's might only be a mediocre player by recent standards, and by 'recent' I mean in the last ~5 years, not necessarily *right now.* This is because people almost invariably get better at ANYTHING with practice and experience.

I can't beat you in a bo7 of what? And why are you even making a challenge? I'm not talking any sort of shit. I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying somewhere along the way. I also am not talking about how great I used to be, so I don't understand how you come to that. If anything what I said is that I am better today than what I used to be. Actually, that's exactly what I said.

I am very active. I'm on WormNET every day playing games of all sorts, although Big RR is what I play the most. I also don't think that I have carte blanche to say whatever I want, nor do I think that anything I've said is out of line, arrogant, or factually incorrect. Humility? The only thing that I've said recently that can be taken as arrogant was me talking about Big RR the other day, and it's not arrogance when it's just plain true.

You also went on to say that skill has gotten better, which reinforces what I said and undermines what you said. (derp!) And yeah, AG is a bit boring these days but I was also playing before lots of people decided to quit, so what's your point there? Also, it's not as though AG is totally lacking in skilled players. I really don't understand what you're talking about, or why you're even mad. If you want to play some games vs. me get your ass in WormNET and challenge me because I'm on a lot.

Finally, as far as Mablak goes, he wasn't always an elite level player. I'm not taking anything away from him by saying that. All I'm saying is that he started off as an average player and ended up rapidly gaining in skill due to lots of practice. Within less than a year he practically exponentially increased his skill level, and I remember it because before I took that break he was whatever, and when I got back I was like wtf man! That isn't revisionist history, btw. That's just how it was.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 01:26 AM by skunk3 »

Offline skunk3

« Reply #185 on: August 06, 2018, 01:32 AM »
You say that but what is more likely is that you felt more confident at rope back then because of your skill relative to that of other players.

This is beyond madness...

There is so much wrong with what you said it's frustrating choosing where to begin.

Well, to begin with, I said the old me would absolutely annihilate me now, not the old me would absolutely annihilate me if I practised for a year straight.

Next, I know myself and my experiences, that I experienced by the way, better than anyone.

I already explained my story earlier about how I exclusively switched schemes for like 10 years and very rarely ever roped during that whole period, and now even on TUS when I started to Rope again it was never the same without my old keyboard, not to mention i've just NEVER felt the passion that I felt back then, and that I was mostly picking BnG/Hysteria at every opportunity, I did get back into rope for 1-2 years when I was in cfc, but I still focused more on BnG.

Before BnG, I only focused on Rope, during BnG I focused on BnG, during TUS I played a lot of everything but spent a few years focused on mastering Darts as well.

Yeah you are right, people get better with time and practise, but I haven't spent my time practising, I can't believe that isn't obvious to you.

I had a funny vision, you on Jerry Springer right after he tells us his "Final Thought" and you turn round and try to convince the audience "What he meant to say was..."

Well of course the old you who has done nothing but practice a particular scheme for quite a while would *possibly* beat the current you who hasn't devoted time to that one scheme in a while. However, no matter how good at rope you were back then, if you were to practice it even for a fairly short time, I don't see how/why your current self shouldn't be able to win because you're literally the same person, only with more experience. Unless you got some sort of an injury between then and now there's no major reason why your old self should dominate your current self as long as you've practiced up a little bit. You still have all of the skills your former self had, it's just a matter of shaking the cobwebs off.

In short, what I'm saying is that your current self should be capable of doing anything your past self was capable of and then some. This isn't like a physical sport where age plays a factor in declining ability.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #186 on: August 06, 2018, 02:27 AM »
In short, what I'm saying is that your current self should be capable of doing anything your past self was capable of and then some. This isn't like a physical sport where age plays a factor in declining ability.

No, this is what you said, less than 4 hours ago:

Telling me I can be as good as I used to be, and that my mind and feelings are pretty much f**king useless are 2 completely different things.

And actually, age can decline, i've cracked my knuckles my whole life and just like my Mum told me as a little boy, I shouldn't have, for one...

I can't tap as good with my left hand as I used to, it hurts and seizes up, I used to be almost as good with my left as I am with my right, now it's not, which is why i'm so excited about learning cross now I don't have to actually cross my arms over.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 02:30 AM by TheKomodo »

Offline skunk3

« Reply #187 on: August 06, 2018, 03:13 AM »

Telling me I can be as good as I used to be, and that my mind and feelings are pretty much f**king useless are 2 completely different things.

And actually, age can decline, i've cracked my knuckles my whole life and just like my Mum told me as a little boy, I shouldn't have, for one...

I can't tap as good with my left hand as I used to, it hurts and seizes up, I used to be almost as good with my left as I am with my right, now it's not, which is why i'm so excited about learning cross now I don't have to actually cross my arms over.

I'd say that loss of physical ability due to knuckle cracking falls more under 'injury' than 'age-related decline,' but that's kinda moot and splitting hairs.

What I said earlier still applies though... how 'good' someone was at a particular scheme 'X' number of years ago is relative to the overall skill level of everyone else they were playing against at that time, and as I said, players tend to get better as time goes on. This applies to almost any video game. You can look at tournament footage from any competitive game around the time it came out and compare it to people years later playing the same game and there's often a very noticeable jump in skill level, with people who would have been 'elite' back in the day being average today. It's just the natural progression of any game, even professional sports. A good NBA team from today would dominate a good NBA team from the 70's, for instance. The bottom line is that if all things are equal, the version of yourself with more practice/experience is going to be better than the version with less practice/experience. 

What I am saying by all of this isn't taking away from any past Worms players at all. What I'm saying is that anyone who has played this game for an extended period of time has only gotten better *overall* due to practice/experience. I am also furthermore saying that anyone who reached a certain level of performance in whatever scheme can still play at that level if they chose to, barring injury and whatnot. A little practice might be needed but those skills don't just disappear into the ether.

Also, I am not saying that these older players sucked and that our memories of them being great are PURELY nostalgia. For anyone reading, please don't misinterpret that. They were great for their time, and that may or may not mean that they would be great compared to the skill level of players within the past couple of years. What I am getting at is that as time has gone on and people have learned more and more about the intricacies of the game, players in general have gotten better. Individual players who have been playing for a long time are most certainly better today on the whole than they were in the past, although they might be a bit rusty at certain schemes... and generally speaking, your garden-variety mediocre modern Worms player is very likely to be of a higher general, overall skill level than that of a player back in the early 2000's of the same relative 'level' (so to speak), and that's because they have been able to learn from other players with years of experience with the game, as not every W2 competency translated over to W:A with perfect accuracy in addition W:A being nearly 20 years old at this point.

The one thing that limits the skill growth of current players is the lack of game activity. Back in the day the game was far more active, and as a result, more competitive and people developed skills faster.

To get back to the original topic, I like Chicken23's ideas, for the most part. If people want league play to be a big thing again it needs to be accessable to everyone, which means that it needs to be simplified into one Free League with players having the ability to play just about any scheme they want and also do BO3/DON. Also, there needs to be veteran players in AG telling newcomers about the league, how to sign up, how to report games, and letting people know about tourneys/cups/etc. Cater to what is currently popular, even if it sucks. I think Super Sheep Race is wack but if people like playing it, make a tournament. Make Mole tournaments. Hell, have a freakin' Shopper tournament. Anything to drum up interest and excitement and also to get players familiar with TUS and the league. Most importantly veteran players need to come back and start playing regularly because complaining about a lack of activity is kinda circular logic. BE THE CHANGE.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 06:04 AM by skunk3 »

Offline Anubis

« Reply #188 on: August 06, 2018, 10:55 AM »

What Komo writes is true. Also, nobody here kept playing the same scheme for 15+ years and we all took breaks and whatnot. 10 years ago my former self would absolutely demolish me in anything roping related because at that point I was playing W:A 24/7. Just because this game is not physical does not mean you do not decline over the time if you stop caring and put passion in. Being good at something is not just your body, it's your mindset as well and frankly my mindset back then was "I wanna be the best there ever was" and now it's "who cares game is dead". So naturally my former self will just laugh and show me why he is better while I will accept that he's better since my drive to be better than him would be gone.

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #189 on: August 06, 2018, 12:40 PM »
lets get back on track about discussing a new league system we think is sustainable in wn's current state

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #190 on: August 06, 2018, 12:56 PM »
Nah, honestly, f**k that, do NOT make the mistake of giving people far too much choice, it just splits everyone up even more.

All we need is a small handful of popular schemes, something that appeals to old and new players.

I could name at least 10 people off the top of my head that would stop playing if this system Chicken23 and skunk3 said was put into place.

Who honestly gives a f**k about 3 scheme PO when you still gotta put up with boring ass schemes you don't wanna waste your life playing?

Seriously, I could pick Darts, takes 5 minutes, then they pick Mole Shopper or Team17 or BattleRace and i'm stuck for at least 30 minutes absolutely bored out my f**king skull, as would most people be, you can do a lot in your life in 30 minutes man, a lot of people have a lot of reasons for quitting, but I am very confident that's a big one, being forced to play schemes you don't like for their pick, then being insulted when you want to give a free win.

What's worse, someone not wanting to waste their time, or someone noob bashing someone that actually hates that scheme?

I've already said my piece so I won't propose more ideas because that's my personal favourite I suggested.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #191 on: August 06, 2018, 07:18 PM »
Nah, honestly, f**k that, do NOT make the mistake of giving people far too much choice, it just splits everyone up even more.

All we need is a small handful of popular schemes, something that appeals to old and new players.

I could name at least 10 people off the top of my head that would stop playing if this system Chicken23 and skunk3 said was put into place.

Who honestly gives a f**k about 3 scheme PO when you still gotta put up with boring ass schemes you don't wanna waste your life playing?

Seriously, I could pick Darts, takes 5 minutes, then they pick Mole Shopper or Team17 or BattleRace and i'm stuck for at least 30 minutes absolutely bored out my f**king skull, as would most people be, you can do a lot in your life in 30 minutes man, a lot of people have a lot of reasons for quitting, but I am very confident that's a big one, being forced to play schemes you don't like for their pick, then being insulted when you want to give a free win.

What's worse, someone not wanting to waste their time, or someone noob bashing someone that actually hates that scheme?

I've already said my piece so I won't propose more ideas because that's my personal favourite I suggested.

If you want people to play league games you have to entice them to do so. Older/veteran players would likely be fine with a league with a handful of scheme options, especially if the scheme picks made sense. However, never players are going to want to play the schemes that they know and enjoy. Also, regardless of what handful of schemes are picked for the league, I don't see that decision as enticing any currently inactive veteran players to become active. Do you? The people who are inactive right now aren't inactive because of the format of the league, mostly. They've stopped playing because of life issues, other games taking over interest and time, and lack of desire to play due to other people not playing.

We all know what are the most popular schemes on WormNET these days, and if we don't cater to those schemes then we cannot possibly expect the league to be active. It's as simple as that. Whether some of those schemes are boring and/or take a while to play is irrelevant to the stated overall goal. Why should Darts be an allowed scheme pick when T17 is bemoaned? What is 'boring' is pretty subjective when it comes to Worms if you ask me. I think that BnG is the most boring scheme ever and I'm not advocating removing it. IMO schemes like mole shopper, SSR, intermediate, classic, and wxw and/or shopper should definitely be a part of the league because that's what people play.

I don't see an option that can please everyone. I still say that we should focus on league shit after we address the primary problem, which is player inactivity. If more people post to TUS saying "I'm back!" and show up in AG to play games and whatnot, that will drum up more interest than a league format change.

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #192 on: August 21, 2018, 07:38 PM »

If you want people to play league games you have to entice them to do so. Older/veteran players would likely be fine with a league with a handful of scheme options, especially if the scheme picks made sense. However, never players are going to want to play the schemes that they know and enjoy. Also, regardless of what handful of schemes are picked for the league, I don't see that decision as enticing any currently inactive veteran players to become active. Do you? The people who are inactive right now aren't inactive because of the format of the league, mostly. They've stopped playing because of life issues, other games taking over interest and time, and lack of desire to play due to other people not playing.

We all know what are the most popular schemes on WormNET these days, and if we don't cater to those schemes then we cannot possibly expect the league to be active. It's as simple as that. Whether some of those schemes are boring and/or take a while to play is irrelevant to the stated overall goal. Why should Darts be an allowed scheme pick when T17 is bemoaned? What is 'boring' is pretty subjective when it comes to Worms if you ask me. I think that BnG is the most boring scheme ever and I'm not advocating removing it. IMO schemes like mole shopper, SSR, intermediate, classic, and wxw and/or shopper should definitely be a part of the league because that's what people play.

I don't see an option that can please everyone. I still say that we should focus on league shit after we address the primary problem, which is player inactivity. If more people post to TUS saying "I'm back!" and show up in AG to play games and whatnot, that will drum up more interest than a league format change.

And how would the issue of player activity be addressed?

I think life issues have been the biggest factor for veteran players and you can't really change that for those with kids, full time careers and busy social lives. I guess what you can change is wanting people to play WA in the little downtime that they do have by themselves. I've personally spent time watching TV series over w:a when i do get time to myself. I don't play other computer games.

I think an active league would bring alot of people back if it could stay active but its a bit of a chicken and egg situation. To get an active league again you need players coming back or ways of getting the new players, competing in league games. Hence the suggestion of a more inclusive league system.

Dave - you spend a lot of time still on w:a and on the worms community but you do not have the deserve to play classic league. Imagine if you did and was picking bng and roper against players like dibz and sbaffo, it would encourage others to maybe think about picking tus as well.

So far no one has commented the potential change of league system into a point based league. I think that would make a huge difference and could encourage activity even if the schemes stayed the same.

Also i'm not saying we add EVERY scheme, we could certainly experiment and add moleshopper, inter, big rr, ssr first.

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #193 on: August 21, 2018, 07:49 PM »
oh and ariel.

Why don't we propose some changes for MI to implement in a league update and see what that does for tus?

• Bring back classic all-round league system structure with normal season lengths like original TUS system, not a split rope vs default ladder/standings
  • Considering the removal of ratings for scheme. A point based system could be an exciting change for the community and does have its benefits. A 1-1 result results in both players gaining 2 points on a 3 point for a win and - 1 point for a lose system, sometimes people were not excited or motivated to play tus when the leader in a scheme because a 1-1 would result in overall rating drop and potential decrease in standings, this would reward activity which is currently what the league needs
  • Only IF a point based system is bought back, reduce season lengths to 30 days, 45 days or 60 days for shorter seasons - this may encourage activity as the current season length in TUS makes me not the slightest bit interested because the season are so long i feel like there is no point in playing, need to find a balance of knowing that even if slightly inactive still have a change to compete in a season, 45-60 days could work well?
  • Add the following schemes in classic league and remove from free league. SSR, Moleshopper, Inter, Big RR/Tower, Aerial. (these i feel as most popular non classic schemes being played on wn currently. Potential to add Darts?)
  • Find a way to fit those schemes into the playoff catoregies - some good discussions has been made on this within the thread
  • Consider reducing playoffs to top 4 positions based on activity - remember cl2k had no playoffs and was active (but 2 divisions..) and currently TUS struggles with 8 player POs?

Offline Senator

« Reply #194 on: August 21, 2018, 08:36 PM »
You were away for too long Chicken23 :D

There is all-round ladder. Rope and default ladders are just on top of that. Inter and Big RR are already in the all-round (Classic) league.

Seasons were 60 days for a long time. Only after the rope and default ladders were introduced the all-round season was lengthend. Activity had dropped well before that.

Playoffs are already possible with 4 players.

I don't think more schemes or a different point system would help at all. People on WormNet are not interested in playing in a league and if they are, they don't want to play Classic league schemes. You could make a league with Mole Shopper, Shopper and Intermediate, for example, but I'm not sure if even that would bring new players. Btw, I asked players who participated in Mole Shopper cups if they were interested in a Mole Shopper league and only 6 were interested.