Forums
March 28, 2024, 09:44 AM

Author Topic: Current status of the League  (Read 17441 times)

Offline skunk3

Re: Current status of the League
« Reply #210 on: September 06, 2018, 09:39 AM »
Honestly I don't think anything f@#!ing matters in terms of TUS / leagues / etc. Hardly anyone plays anymore.

Every time I log on to WormNET it's just the typical people on snoopers or IRC and a handful of random noobs. Players of note RARELY ever play. I'm tired of it. The past few weeks have convinced me that W:A is f@#!ing dead. Revamping the league won't help. This game is done. Earlier in the summer it wasn't quite as bad but now it's like there's no point of even booting up the game. There's no competition. Everyone is playing their gay ass Rocket League, Fortnite, etc.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 09:59 AM by skunk3 »

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #211 on: September 06, 2018, 10:35 AM »
Everyone is playing their gay ass Rocket League, Fortnite, etc.

This.

It's not our fault, it's the way the world works, the younger generations don't want to copy the same sh*t their predecessors did. Because it's "not cool enough".

So they end up playing easier simple games with no depth like Rocket League, PUBG, Fortnite etc.

I haven't even loaded WA for weeks now, don't ever intend to install it again, just not enough activity to be worth it anymore.

Offline MarianRV

« Reply #212 on: September 06, 2018, 11:09 AM »
What's wrong with Rocket League? xd

Offline Mega`Adnan

« Reply #213 on: September 06, 2018, 03:11 PM »

I agree.... especially Mine"CRAP"t. Not even one humiliating parody is made on it, and people are feeling proud having themselves as Minecraft character bullshit.
And a 12 year old boy making rip-off songs adding Minecraft bullshit to it, people are proud of it and listens to this crappy voice everyday.
 They think they have achieved something good in their lives, but actually they have not. :D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 03:18 PM by Mega`Adnan »

Adnan, you are Mega, not Micro and not even faint  :D So fight till the end please.

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #214 on: September 06, 2018, 09:10 PM »
lets open the flood gates, add ariel to classic, mole shooper and other popular schemes

reduce the season length, try 90 days again...

i think you need some motivation to play and a really long season is the opposite of that for anyone who is playing to try and make playoffs.

There is literally nothing to lose and with this little activity putting all the schemes in 1 pot to encourage the new players is fine.
mole shopper and aerial into classic, 90 days, sounds good to me.
i second this, should happen

Offline Senator

« Reply #215 on: September 07, 2018, 08:42 AM »
So the consesus about the league is: It's dead and nothing will change that? xD

Merging Free and Classic leagues would be the kiss of death, that's for sure ;D If I were to change something, I would make the league easier to approach for newcomers. Less schemes and replace some of the classics. If you are just going to add more schemes to Classic league, you can forget about Mole because molers won't join anyway. Aerial you could add because it seems to be "hot" now among TUS people.

edit: deleted stupid ideas
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 03:35 PM by Senator »

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #216 on: September 07, 2018, 05:50 PM »
Merging Classic and Free, is the most backwards idea i've heard considering leagues.

Many of us here that are left on the forums, have extreme hatred towards certain schemes, is that really gonna help us? Are we HONESTLY going to play schemes we don't like when an opponent picks them? I know I wouldn't, I don't play singles simply because they added Intermediate, and I don't like seeing Intermediate AND Elite, in the same League.

I've wanted to play Singles for like 5-6 years now but haven't ever saw a system I thought is worth my time.

Which do you want more:

The league to be active.
YOU to be actively playing leagues.

If you want the league to be more active, you are gonna have to drop everything you love, and make it a few schemes, the ones that people still playing WA actually enjoy most.

If that means having Mole Shopper, Big RR, and Aerial as the only League schemes available, why not? If you care more about the league and your own personal agenda, I feel it's the right choice to make.

Or!

Ask the community what THEY want, put a vote up, ask everyone what 3 schemes they want, just take the 3 most voted answers, and make those the schemes we play.

You could take a vote once or twice a year, and just make the League those schemes, then it will always reflect the modern times.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #217 on: September 08, 2018, 09:02 AM »
Anybody who plays an inordinate amount of video games is at the very least depressed on some level, whether they can acknowledge it or not. Of course there could be other factors involved, like living in the middle of nowhere, being disabled, etc... but the fact remains that heavy, chronic gamers almost invariably experience depression. This leads us to a 'chicken or the egg' scenario though - Do gamers play a lot because they are depressed, or does gaming a lot make one depressed? I suspect it's a bit of both, with the former being more influential by far.

Myself included, I have never known anyone in my life who is a hardcore gamer who IS NOT depressed. That's anecdotal but still counts for something. Furthermore, 12 hours of play time per day is far beyond what most heavy gamers even play. That's an attempt to escape your life. Your problems. Your feelings. It's basically a drug, and definitely an addiction of a sort.

Regardless of your copypasta definition of the world "problem," you know exactly what I meant because I spoke in plain colloquial language, so don't equivocate here. Gaming 12 hours a day is a major problem whether or not you have kids or are in a relationship. It's bad for YOU as a person physically and psychologically. Once in a while a 12 hour marathon isn't a bad thing but every day for a month straight? That's a red flag, a serious red flag.

Between gaming and sleeping you had a total of MAYBE 6 hours per day to do everything else you need to do in life... cook, eat, shop, socialize, bathe, clean, handle personal business, look for a job, keep in contact with friends and family, and any number of things that don't involve gaming. I think it is safe to assume that you were quite likely not attending to things that you needed to attend to and probably sitting around your abode all stinky and unkempt.

Anyway I hope that you're not still gaming 12 hours a day or anywhere even close to that... for your own sake. Seriously.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 09:07 AM by skunk3 »

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #218 on: September 18, 2018, 08:25 PM »
 :(

i just want to be able to find a tus or competitive game on the odd occasion when i come online, but i can't be the sole driver of sitting on ag and always being active to try and keep WA. I love worms and don't want to see competitive leagues die, but it needs everyone working in the same direction and some collective mind set to make it enjoyable enough for us to either all come back, or motivate new players to want to play 'league' style.

I do think that cups are becoming more popular or getting activity shows that the short term appeal of winning a cup of tourney in schemes that are in the main league highlights the issues of the league seasons being too long and not allowing schemes which are now more popular than traditional classic.

I don't think the community or league should be governed just by komodo disagreeing either.

There needs to be some kind of action or vote, and i think maybe enough people here would vote for shorter seasons and adding kaos, arieal and mole shopper at a minimum?

Offline Sensei

« Reply #219 on: September 18, 2018, 08:42 PM »

i just want to be able to find a tus or competitive game on the odd occasion when i come online, but i can't be the sole driver of sitting on ag and always being active to try and keep WA. I love worms and don't want to see competitive leagues die, but it needs everyone working in the same direction and some collective mind set to make it enjoyable enough for us to either all come back, or motivate new players to want to play 'league' style.

Probably wasn't your intention but I saw this post as: "my time is more precious than yours so you rather sit in ag and make stuff happen so I can come in once a week and get some instant games going.."
Some of us are tired of trying to convince oldschool to get back. ;)

There needs to be some kind of action or vote, and i think maybe enough people here would vote for shorter seasons and adding kaos, arieal and mole shopper at a minimum?
There was dozens of polls and tryouts to make league active again. Not many of ppl are interested anymore. Lots of schemes still needs corrections but we can't even get that going. As I've mentioned few times - of all community only around 40 ppl voted in that poll about new update release.. And 80% of them voted "NO!"
What else is there to say!? :D

Although, I would be the last to say it's over. Will support any ideas that might actually get us somewhere. But lets stop recycling posts. Twitters, reddits, twitch, compilations, videos, promotions. Surely there are ppl in community that can get some new faces, playing on nostalgia card. Saw it, did it. It's possible. But I don't have skills nor resources for attracting larger amount of newbies.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 08:44 PM by Sensei »

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #220 on: September 19, 2018, 07:19 PM »

Probably wasn't your intention but I saw this post as: "my time is more precious than yours so you rather sit in ag and make stuff happen so I can come in once a week and get some instant games going.."
Some of us are tired of trying to convince oldschool to get back. ;)

I can totally see how the post came across like that and point accepted. I think what I was trying to say is that one person cannot single handedly restore competitive league games to wa. It needs to be a collective effort. I just know personally the reasons why i am inactive and so many other oldschoolers are is because of personal reasons in life with jobs and family etc, compared to 10 or even 5 years ago when i had less responsibilities.

There was dozens of polls and tryouts to make league active again. Not many of ppl are interested anymore. Lots of schemes still needs corrections but we can't even get that going. As I've mentioned few times - of all community only around 40 ppl voted in that poll about new update release.. And 80% of them voted "NO!"
What else is there to say!? :D

Although, I would be the last to say it's over. Will support any ideas that might actually get us somewhere. But lets stop recycling posts. Twitters, reddits, twitch, compilations, videos, promotions. Surely there are ppl in community that can get some new faces, playing on nostalgia card. Saw it, did it. It's possible. But I don't have skills nor resources for attracting larger amount of newbies.

I hate going in circles and recycling posts, everyone disagrees, komodo (sorry Dave) will always argue against something or someone else will. Just sitting around debating it isn't going to help unless there are some real actions taken and the only person who can do that is MI.

Yes we are all in agreement that to make the league active again we need to train newbies and log into ag to play ourselves, but we would be lying to ourselves if there are not other things we can do (mainly MI) and some changes to the TuS website, or the creation of a more simple league system and website, would make competitive gaming in worms and the concept of logging into a website to report the games you've played on wa into that league more appealing.

As mentioned, adding in newer schemes which are more popular to the players of today will help.
Improving the UX/UI of tus site and navigation to make it more clear and simple to report games and see standings (currently we have about 4 different leagues and standing tables?) but in the older league days it was just one ladder or 1 league and so easy to see exactly what was going on.

Centralize all the leagues and systems so its clear whats being played, we are spoilt for too much choice.
Reduce the season length.

Perhaps with some of those changes things might pick up and it may make it more encouraging for older and more inactive players to continue to play and coming to AG maybe more than once a week.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #221 on: September 20, 2018, 03:24 AM »
Tom we all have our own ideas, in order to argue against something, you have to support something else...

I think merging everything is a bad idea, i'd like to see everything simplified.

How are you going to convince everyone to come back and start playing when there is a mountain of issues that prevent or encourage people not to play?

We've been waiting for 4.0 for many years, players don't want to play schemes they don't like, activity is low people don't want to sit around for hours looking for a clanner or singles when they could be having fun doing something else, the general atmosphere and behaviour of many different cultures/players don't exactly combine very well these days, the idea of what we even think is suitable for a league doesn't spark with the newer generation of casual players, the elitist attitude of experienced players, poor sportsmanship, cheating, the fact that the skill gap between experienced players and beginner players...  The list goes on...

I honestly don't know what it will take to generate activity to the point we have a healthy, active league, and to be honest I don't think anyone else does either, especially when everyone keeps disagreeing with everyone.

So stop blaming me, it's rude.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #222 on: September 20, 2018, 09:43 AM »
 ::)

The way the site is at the moment was fine years ago when the game was active. These days the game is as inactive as it has ever been. I personally can't think of a time when activity was so low, especially activity of seasoned players. I personally don't have an issue with the UI of this site but the league formats themselves are confusing because everything is so separated. I think some major simplication wouldn't hurt at all, even if people might complain about having to play schemes they don't like. Big deal.

Many W:A newbies have no idea what TUS even means and probably little to no desire to play leagues, and those who would potentially be interested in playing leagues would most likely be extremely confused by this website, particularly when it comes to Leagues and whatnot. League play is at a trickle already and making changes probably wouldn't hurt it for the worse. I dunno. As I said before, I don't think it matters at all what changes are made because I can't think of any changes to the Leagues that would bring players back, and seeing old players become more active (in general) is far more desirable to me than seeing newer players become more active within TUS... and since there's no real incentive for anyone to come back out of sheer boredom and nostalgia, what else is there to offer? Nothing, basically. Empty hopes and promises of a 3.8 release that may be officially released one day. To be honest, I don't even think 3.8 would be enough to bring back a lot of players, especially not long term. A few might install and check it out but I doubt they'll become active again.

To me this whole discussion is akin to two guys bailing water out of the bottom of a sinking boat and arguing about whether it is best to bail water with a circular pail or a squared one.

I think the real question that needs to be asked is of the inactive players: What would you NEED to see implemented to become seriously active again? Is there anything that could be done, or has life and its various commitments relegated W:A to 'fond memory' status? I still don't even fully understand why SO MANY players went inactive at roughly the same time. It's like all of a sudden the game died because of a domino effect of: "if (X) isn't playing anymore, I won't either..."

I think that all of this talk of brainstorming ideas to entice veteran players to become active again is just wishful thinking and chat, nothing more. The only thing that can save this game is 3.8 being way more awesome than expected, and it being released soon.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #223 on: September 20, 2018, 03:21 PM »
I think the real question that needs to be asked is of the inactive players: What would you NEED to see implemented to become seriously active again?

Personally, for me, i'd play singles if the league was simplified into 3 schemes, but i'd have to personally like those 3 schemes as well.

And that's an option I don't think many people would like to see lol.

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #224 on: September 20, 2018, 07:01 PM »
I think the real question that needs to be asked is of the inactive players: What would you NEED to see implemented to become seriously active again?

Personally, for me, i'd play singles if the league was simplified into 3 schemes, but i'd have to personally like those 3 schemes as well.

And that's an option I don't think many people would like to see lol.

for me it would be activity, knowing whenever i log into wn i can find a classic tus single or clanner and that enough players were taking part to make it worthwhile trying to make CKC win the leagues or reaching playoffs and winning against a group of skilled allrounders.

Just like the domino effect of old players disappearing so quickly, it would need a similar effect in a positive way of getting people back.

seasons at nearly a year long make me not want to even bother because there will never be an end to a season so whats the point?

we are all in agreement about how we are on deathsdoor, so lets just reduce the season length back to their originals and add arieal to classic, there is literally nothing to lose and MI could make the change tomorrow i'd imagine??
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 07:02 PM by Chicken23 »