Forums
March 28, 2024, 07:27 PM

Author Topic: D3D9Wnd 0.7.1.1: Direct3D 9-based windowed mode with multi-monitor support  (Read 89642 times)

Offline StepS

D3D9Wnd updated!
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2013, 11:09 PM »
A new update has been released.

• The ActiveBackground feature has been made available to be enabled permanently with a settings file. It is also finalized and now works in all cases. Window border in this mode is now possible, and the window is no longer stuck in top left corner.
  • Users with Windows Classic/Simplified interface (no aero/DWM) are no more limited to top left corner, and they can now also use the border. ActiveBackground is always forced enabled for them, as before.
  • Added TopLeftPosition feature for people who need the in-game window to be on top left. This can also be temporarily enabled with Ctrl+L.
  • Added AutoUnpin feature which will automatically unpin mouse cursor when you switch to another window (alt-tab or any other ways). Enabled by default now.
  • Mouse will now be pinned after clicking inside the WA's window if it was unpinned before. For stretched and expanded modes it will be re-pinned automatically when you get back to WA.
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline j0hny

Re: D3D9Wnd [MULTIMON CONTEST ONGOING!]
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2013, 06:54 PM »
what would we do without them :) gj guys
If you wanna play cup or something, Im at the email: lukaszmok21@gmail.com sound on my phone.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) \(ツ)/ (╯°□°)

Offline StepS

UPDATED!!!
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2013, 03:21 PM »
A new update released, 0.5.5.0.
  • Now got rid of the "2x size" maximum resolution limit! This means you can set any resolutions you like without any mouse issues, as long as your GPU supports it (maximum 2D texture size).
  • Added the long-awaited Run frontend in background feature to prevent the frontend menus from self-minimizing when switching to another window. When it is enabled, the frontend will keep running in background. Now enabled by default, can be switched using the "RunInBackground" setting under [FrontendSettings].
  • The built-in in-game mouse capture has now been improved to reflect the actual window's positions, just like done recently for ActiveBackground.
  • The NoTopmost feature has been moved to the [Misc] section and now affects both frontend and in-game. Still can be switched with Ctrl+T, but this time in both places.
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
Very awesome Steps.. I've been hoping for that 'Run frontend in background' feature. One step closer to perfect for multi-monitor users. The only thing that could improve it now is if the mouse didn't get trapped inside stretched/custom-sized frontend windows. The way the default windowed (top left) frontend mode works is perfect, the way you can click freely in and out of WA's focus. It's just a bit hard to read comfortably, with its small size. With stretched/custom sized frontends, you still have to minimize the game to operate other windows.

And I just wanna say, your D3d9wnd utility makes WA with multiple monitors sooo much more enjoyable. The Ctrl+G and Ctrl+H in-game feature that lets you browse the internet and watch people's turns at the same time is awesome. Thanks for continuing to develop it, even though you play on 1 screen on a laptop.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 05:28 PM by j0e »

Offline StepS

Very awesome Steps.. I've been hoping for that 'Run frontend in background' feature... One step closer to perfect for multi-monitor users. The only thing that could improve it now is if the mouse didn't get trapped inside stretched/custom-sized frontend windows. So that it would work the same as the default (windowed) size where you can click into and out of the window easily. The way the default (windowed) size works is perfect now, but it's a bit hard to read with its small size.
Man, if it was possible, i'd do it the in the day this was released. But it is not. The current frontend is so buggy that all of its controls, as well as mouse listening is bound to top left angle. Moving that control window will also move any icons or menu elements out the window, leaving us with just sky and stars. There were many attempts at finding a solution to properly move the controls but that solution was never found. Kawoosh wanted to look deeper into it one day, but still didn't get to it.

There's also a very small quirk with the Ctrl+G/Ctrl+H feature in-game.

When you do Ctrl+G/Ctrl+H the first time, the Ctrl+H has no effect. The Ctrl+G releases the mouse as intended, but as soon as you click outside the WA window, the window is no longer active. The Ctrl+H does not keep the WA window active in the background, and all animation stops.

When you restore focus to the WA window, Ctrl+G/Ctrl+H works as intended --- you can click outside of WA's focus and WA continues to animate in the background.
This doesn't happen for me. Can you show your settings file?

Edit: I understand what you mean there. You first press Ctrl+G and only then Ctrl+H. This will never work because you are not focused on the W:A window anymore (the keyboard keys only work when the game is on foreground). Do it in reverse. Or... you can just not press ctrl+g, because there's the new "AutoUnpin" feature. Btw, check out the "ActiveBackground" in ini file... It can be enabled permanently now.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 05:27 PM by StepS »
[...]

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
Disregard my post... I figured out the Ctrl+G/Ctrl+H thing while I was testing... I've just been doing it wrong. Thanks for the tip about "ActiveBackground" in the ini file... never knew about that!

And I assumed the stretched mouse focus was impossible... just checking since you have made some breakthroughs recently with the frontend.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 05:34 PM by j0e »

Offline StepS

And I assumed the stretched mouse focus was impossible... just checking since you have made some breakthroughs recently with the frontend.
unfortunately those "breakthroughs" (there was only one recently btw which is right now) have nothing to do with that messy control window, on which every button, form, and graphics icons depend :( we have to thank Team17 for using MFC with such a poor implementation some decades ago. That's also the reason why current W:A maintainers don't change the way frontend works. One single change can break everything, and you may spend long hours or days trying to find and resolve the issues. We all hope for 4.0, but until then, this is the only real solution for now.
But still if you need to keep the big window running, just use Alt+Tab or something similar!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 05:43 PM by StepS »
[...]

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
Quote from: StepS
...those "breakthroughs" (there was only one recently...
It's a good one though. Useful to monitor chat, see when players light up, etc, while you browse.

Quote from: StepS
But still if you need to keep the big window running, just use Alt+Tab or something similar!
Thanks .. I'll try this when I get home.

Offline StepS

D3D9Wnd updated!
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2013, 11:53 AM »
A small update (0.5.5.5) was released, sorry for delaying, should have been released many weeks ago.

• Minor fixes
  • Now supports square- and rectangle-shaped multi-monitor setups (for example, 2 monitors above 2 monitors). A least 65025 simultaneously working monitors are supported. The total width is defined by the top monitor row. Totally untested.
[...]

Offline twistah

in the options i've selected Direct3D 9 (CPU). aaand.. my worms takes 25% of my screen now while its in the upper left corner? i've downloaded this with the intention to get rid of my lags in rope games. how do i set this up properly? is there a key combo to maximize that window?

Offline StepS

in the options i've selected Direct3D 9 (CPU). aaand.. my worms takes 25% of my screen now while its in the upper left corner? i've downloaded this with the intention to get rid of my lags in rope games. how do i set this up properly? is there a key combo to maximize that window?
frontend was always 640x480, and this is how it looks like on a big screen without stretching. you can only stretch it using the settings. to do that, open wkD3D9Wnd.ini. then, depending on what you need, you may want to stretch it to cover the whole screen by enabling Stretch=1 in the FrontendSettings section. or if you want it to be a custom size, do EnableCustomSize=1 and set your size below.
[...]

Offline twistah

ok, ty. gonna try that later

Offline twistah

hm, i did that with Stretch=1 and chose Direct3D 9 (CPU), but worms is still in the upper left corner? ;/

Offline StepS

hm, i did that with Stretch=1 and chose Direct3D 9 (CPU), but worms is still in the upper left corner? ;/

Spoiler! View
[...]

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
Awesome job steps. Steam compatible! Just a suggestion: include some quick instructions in the archive, and use .ZIP instead of .RAR - to make it more noob accessible!

I'm noticing a big surge of new players from the weekend $1 sale. More are likely to stick around if they can figure out how to use this program.