Forums
March 28, 2024, 06:41 PM

Author Topic: DON'T UPDATE ON 1709! (WIN10)  (Read 3853 times)

Offline Sensei

DON'T UPDATE ON 1709! (WIN10)
« on: December 14, 2017, 06:39 PM »
Simple as that. No further explanations. Just don't do it.

Offline Rabbzz

Re: DON'T UPDATE ON 1709! (WIN10)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 07:34 PM »
Too late

Offline Sensei

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 08:07 PM »
Too late

There's downgrade possibility.
Go to Update&Security, then pick Recovery. (I guess it's like that, my system is on croatian)
Somewhere in Recovery win10 will offer you going back on previous version. But if 30 days have past, it will not be possible anymore.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 09:07 PM »
Managed to downgrade to 1607.
Minimizing works, vsync off works. Worming the way it's supposed to be.

f@#! you microsoft.
1-0 Sensei.

Offline XanKriegor

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 11:28 PM »
f@#! Win10, big time.

Offline Rabbzz

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 05:13 AM »
I’ve never had a problem with win10, though guess I haven’t had a real good rope in a long time also

Offline StepS

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 08:36 AM »
You did not even describe what problems you're having. I now saw it in another thread which you didn't link to.

Almost the only issue I've had with 1709 (and solved) is low performance when having many windows open, due to some new anti-exploit techniques implemented. I recommend to disable Control Flow Guard, especially if you're dealing with graphics-heavy software. Otherwise rendering may become very slow in various apps.
Another issue that may be related to the latest updates (initially it worked on 1709) is that Hyper-V got broken, and its dependent "vmcompute" service won't run, no matter what I do. I've met at least one other dude with this exact problem, but he says that rolling the updates back doesn't help. This problem is new to December 2017.

I have already had two Wormers install the update. One of them reported only one issue with running the game which he resolved himself. He felt that the game was not running in exclusive fullscreen (which I couldn't independently verify), so the framerate was lower. He says he got it resolved by enabling "Disable fullscreen optimizations" in WA.exe properties. (I've mentioned this option before)
The "black screen issue" when v-sync is disabled has been confirmed to be fixed in 1709.

Other than this, the highlights I personally found useful in 1709 are: "placeholder" files support on OneDrive (which were last seen on Win 8.1 and then temporarily removed over dubious reasons) - where certain files are shown in your Explorer but actually are stored remotely and can become available offline at will, GPU Usage display in Task Manager, support for mounting external and non-NTFS drives on the Linux-on-Windows subsystem via drvfs, and a battery performance/capacity slider which I use on tablet.

Anyway, this is expected with recent Windows updates. The Fall Creators Update was released quite broken as said on various blogs. They still haven't fixed the issue where the cursor jumps to the corner of the screen when selecting multiple files in Winrar or 7-zip and scrollbars are present. In the end, what you see will of course depend on your software and hardware, some hardware drivers may be sensitive to the update more than others. I would expect them to gradually fix the issues in the next 4 months.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 08:48 AM by StepS »
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline Sensei

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 11:09 PM »
So.. Few days ago, my 1607 version of win10 started causing problems (at least i think).
Games became unplayable cause of weird laggs and glitches, and W:A was dropping before even joining/hosting.

Decided to get 1709 update, but problem was I couldn't do it anymore (already downgraded once).
Last option was to download .iso file of 1709 from torrent, mount it and install.
Did all of that, got fresh C: disc (25 gb of old stuff gone)
All games seem to work now. Except, you know it - W:fkn:A.

Tried to right click it and disable fullscreen optimizations - no luck!
Then I made it compatibile with XP service pack 3, and game started working. Miracle.

Until I realised rope and jet are not like they used to feel on 1607. Some weird input lag is present.
Then I realize I can't open parachute (have it on right control and can't get it to work anymore after update)
Then I realize I can't click on taskbar icon after minimizing to get back in game.. etc. etc.

Why microsoft doing this to us wormers? Is there any chance some of you had similar problems, and if yes, how did you fixed it and get W:A to run smooth like it's supposed to!?

Thx.

f@#! you microsoft.
1-0 Sensei.

Guess it's 1-1 now. And they got away goal.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:13 PM by Sensei »

Offline StepS

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 01:42 AM »
Until I realised rope and jet are not like they used to feel on 1607. Some weird input lag is present.
Then I realize I can't open parachute (have it on right control and can't get it to work anymore after update)
Just to confirm, did you restore your settings on the new system? Your registry, which had all the config, was wiped fresh. Sounds like you forgot to enable wormkit too.

Then I realize I can't click on taskbar icon after minimizing to get back in game.. etc. etc.
That's because you enabled XP compatibility mode. Which forces the game to run "As Administrator", which causes the bug you described.
Instead, set it to Windows 8 or 7 compatibility mode.
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline Sensei

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 04:58 AM »
Just to confirm, did you restore your settings on the new system? Your registry, which had all the config, was wiped fresh. Sounds like you forgot to enable wormkit too.

Only changed C:: drive. Worms wasn't installed on that one.
Nah m8, didn't forgot to enable :) I use your wormkit module for roping. And cause wk_remapkeys doesn't allow to change f8 to right ctrl naturally, I also need to have IntesKeyChange program running in background, so that key gets remapped. (using command F8=#0xd2 in wk_remapkeys)
But since 1709 I'm not able to use right control as F8, for unknown reason.

[
That's because you enabled XP compatibility mode. Which forces the game to run "As Administrator", which causes the bug you described.
Instead, set it to Windows 8 or 7 compatibility mode.

Enabled XP mode cause game rejects to start after compatibility with Win 8 or 7.
When hosting/joining, I got that annoying sound of error and black screen.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:00 AM by Sensei »

Offline STRGRN

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 01:53 PM »
is it this 1709 update thingey that's causing worms to whitescreen after minimizing and opening up again?

Offline nino

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 03:00 PM »
Simple as that. No further explanations. Just don't do it.

Ok m8 i wont. ty
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.

Offline AduN

• Chile Chile
  • hai2u!!1!:)
    • View Profile
    • my page
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 03:39 AM »
Win10? Whats that

Offline philie

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 02:12 PM »
is it this 1709 update thingey that's causing worms to whitescreen after minimizing and opening up again?

same problem here.
i can get over the white-screen by clicking on something to get into anther menu, like the map editor. all is left then is a white box in the upper screen that stays there, also while in-game.. pretty annoying.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 06:22 PM »
same problem here.
i can get over the white-screen by clicking on something to get into anther menu, like the map editor. all is left then is a white box in the upper screen that stays there, also while in-game.. pretty annoying.

Yeah man. This update is pure f@#!up.
As I've heard around internet, ppl have problems with all their games since 1709.
Some fix the problem with rightclicking .exe file and checking box "disable fullscreen optimizations". But for some, even that doesn't work. And judging by how fast and efficient microsoft fixing their problems - these ppl are screwed big time :)