Forums
March 28, 2024, 11:40 AM

Author Topic: Early 2000s  (Read 4784 times)

Offline varialheelflip

Early 2000s
« on: March 01, 2019, 04:26 AM »
Any players from the early 2000's still around? I've bumped into oldsock and saltyk9. I know walrus is around too.  Hope to play with you guys soon, been a while.

I'd like to give a shout out to Sensei and his twitch interviews with old school wormers. I bumped into the interview from a link that bloopy posted in our WwA facebook group. From that interview I downloaded the game and trying to play a little bit when I have time. Thanks Sensei!

And Hello everyone.

Offline skunk3

Re: Early 2000s
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 05:06 AM »
Not too many that play often. Every time I've logged into W:A lately it's been totally dead, aside from maybe a handful of random noobs and idle snoopers.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 09:08 AM by skunk3 »

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 12:31 AM »
I started playing in 2004, though I've rarely played the past couple of years while I'm working on a console backlog.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 10:13 AM »
Not too many that play often. Every time I've logged into W:A lately it's been totally dead, aside from maybe a handful of random noobs and idle snoopers.

Again, these ''random'' can surprise you with their intellect, & can evolve.
I can mention a couple of ''unfamiliar'' names here. But they don't matter to you, because they have not compete in league, or are from the old generation.

Regardless, there are still people around like Walrus & Saltyk, that's about it.
I did however encounter franz aka flowingwater 2 years ago. We had a lengthy warmer.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline skunk3

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 02:43 PM »

Again, these ''random'' can surprise you with their intellect, & can evolve.
I can mention a couple of ''unfamiliar'' names here. But they don't matter to you, because they have not compete in league, or are from the old generation.

Regardless, there are still people around like Walrus & Saltyk, that's about it.
I did however encounter franz aka flowingwater 2 years ago. We had a lengthy warmer.

We've talked about this before.

I have played with literally thousands of randoms over the years and that's well and good but these days when I jump on WormNET I want to play with people I know, or at the very least people who are aware of rules, can speak and understand English well, have some degree of skill, and aren't idiot trolls. I don't give a crap if people play in leagues nor do I care what 'generation' they are from. I don't want to play with noobs, period. It's a waste of time. If I want to play randoms and roll the dice I have Worms WMD for that.

Anyway, I see Salty and sometimes Walrus on Snooper but I haven't seen them active when I've logged in lately... then again, I typically log in and log off fairly quickly if I see that AG is dead, as it usually is these days. I don't use Snoopers (I hate them) and I don't have the patience to sit around for ages hoping that someone will want a game. Thank goodness I've accumulated quite the circle of friends who play WMD because I can still get my Worms fix. (But not my roping fix, sadly.)

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 06:44 PM »
I don't give a crap if people play in leagues nor do I care what 'generation' they are from. I don't want to play with noobs, period. It's a waste of time.

There are many who share the same view as you, unfortunately that is why there are so many "noobs", and that is why less and less "skilled" players stick around.

Imagine, if education around the world ceased to exist, because teachers & experts around the world saw pupils & students as "noobs" and thought of engaging with and teaching them as a waste of time.

From the perspective of a noob, it is entirely possible that only a few encounters with such an impatient opinion as you have there can put someone off a game completely.

The human race is mostly selfish.

Offline Anubis

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 10:01 PM »
I don't give a crap if people play in leagues nor do I care what 'generation' they are from. I don't want to play with noobs, period. It's a waste of time.

There are many who share the same view as you, unfortunately that is why there are so many "noobs", and that is why less and less "skilled" players stick around.

Imagine, if education around the world ceased to exist, because teachers & experts around the world saw pupils & students as "noobs" and thought of engaging with and teaching them as a waste of time.

From the perspective of a noob, it is entirely possible that only a few encounters with such an impatient opinion as you have there can put someone off a game completely.

The human race is mostly selfish.

Well, teachers/professors get paid. I would happily teach noobs roping for money. It's our hobby and freetime we use. So it makes sense we wanna spend it with quality people. :P

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 10:29 PM »
Well, teachers/professors get paid. I would happily teach noobs roping for money. It's our hobby and freetime we use. So it makes sense we wanna spend it with quality people. :P

Not all of them get paid, some volunteer, some experts have more money than they know what to do with, but teach out of passion and curiosity, call it legacy, hope and passion for the future of mankind.

And I wasn't just speaking about paid professions, I mean friends teaching other friends, enthusiasts teaching other enthusiasts, like going to a skatepark and watching, practising, and learning from the best there :)

Or hanging around with other musicians...

Everybody is born stupid with the potential for greatness, nobody is an expert on 1st attempt.

I just think it's selfish to think in the manner skunk wrote above.

Offline l7cx1Cl

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 03:43 AM »
hi var how r u, not sure if u knew me as MP or toxic, either way good to see old wermerz still alive ^.^

and hi skunk and komo  ;D
and... anu >.>

you produce dnb komo?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 03:52 AM by l7cx1Cl »

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 06:19 AM »
Yeah I do mate, love the Game Boy in that pic  :D

Offline l7cx1Cl

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 06:26 AM »
Hah thx it's actually my ipod 😏

Yo where can I listen ?  What daw u using?

Offline skunk3

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 07:52 AM »

Not all of them get paid, some volunteer, some experts have more money than they know what to do with, but teach out of passion and curiosity, call it legacy, hope and passion for the future of mankind.

And I wasn't just speaking about paid professions, I mean friends teaching other friends, enthusiasts teaching other enthusiasts, like going to a skatepark and watching, practising, and learning from the best there :)

Or hanging around with other musicians...

Everybody is born stupid with the potential for greatness, nobody is an expert on 1st attempt.

I just think it's selfish to think in the manner skunk wrote above.

The thing is, I don't feel any sort of obligation to play or teach. Playing W:A is a recreational activity and drawing a comparison between Worms players and educators (paid or not) is a bit disingenuous, don't you think?

If I don't feel like spending my time playing with random noobs, that's not selfish, because in order for it to be selfish I would need to have some sort of obligation to play with them. I don't. Furthermore, the reason why W:A is so inactive these days isn't necessarily because of people not wanting to play with noobs, it's more due to a domino effect of long-time friends and adversaries fading away from the game (for various reasons) and losing interest. I think that a lot of people are like me in the respect that they would prefer to play with others who they know well and also respect skill-wise, especially when a lot of people who play this game have been around for a very long time by normal gaming standards.

I have gone out of my way more times than I can possibly remember over the years to help noobs, teach them, answer questions, etc. I've definitely paid my dues, so to speak... so when I boot up W:A and want to play a game I don't want to spend my time facepalming and watching people derp around, fail, and generally waste my time. I like playing against the best players I can find, and I'm sure some noobs do too... but f@#! 'em, they're noobs. :)

And hi Toxic! The Push 2 is a great controller. I sold mine a few months ago to fund a drum machine I wanted and I really regret it. Sorta. I'll get another one.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 07:54 AM by skunk3 »

Offline Anubis

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 11:41 AM »
hi var how r u, not sure if u knew me as MP or toxic, either way good to see old wermerz still alive ^.^

and hi skunk and komo  ;D
and... anu >.>

you produce dnb komo?

Why anu ">_>"? I don't hold grudges or negativity close to my heart. Any disagreements we had in the past are meaningless to me after a while. :D

Offline Sensei

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 01:41 PM »
^
Right...
He still have me blocked cause I told him he's cringe! :)

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 03:13 PM »
The thing is, I don't feel any sort of obligation to play or teach. Playing W:A is a recreational activity and drawing a comparison between Worms players and educators (paid or not) is a bit disingenuous, don't you think?

If I don't feel like spending my time playing with random noobs, that's not selfish, because in order for it to be selfish I would need to have some sort of obligation to play with them. I don't. Furthermore, the reason why W:A is so inactive these days isn't necessarily because of people not wanting to play with noobs, it's more due to a domino effect of long-time friends and adversaries fading away from the game (for various reasons) and losing interest. I think that a lot of people are like me in the respect that they would prefer to play with others who they know well and also respect skill-wise, especially when a lot of people who play this game have been around for a very long time by normal gaming standards.

I have gone out of my way more times than I can possibly remember over the years to help noobs, teach them, answer questions, etc. I've definitely paid my dues, so to speak... so when I boot up W:A and want to play a game I don't want to spend my time facepalming and watching people derp around, fail, and generally waste my time. I like playing against the best players I can find, and I'm sure some noobs do too... but f@#! 'em, they're noobs. :)

And hi Toxic! The Push 2 is a great controller. I sold mine a few months ago to fund a drum machine I wanted and I really regret it. Sorta. I'll get another one.

If you don't want to play with them, that's fair enough, but it's the whole "f@#! them for being a noob" kind of vibe that is selfish & rude, not to mention ignorant, as I said, everyone starts out a beginner, and if they can't find something to learn from, or someone doesn't teach them, how can you expect them to get better? I just find it extremely nonsensical to hate someone because they haven't learned something that you have...

Of course, feel free to hate trolls lol, everyone hates them :D