Forums
March 28, 2024, 09:01 PM

Author Topic: Fall Calculator (module)  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Kradie

Fall Calculator (module)
« on: August 16, 2019, 09:35 PM »
During a fall in a rope based scheme, particular in BIG Z RR. You will want to know when to react before hitting the surface ground/object. This can help aid player knowing when to move etc. The free fall module will activate during a fall, and give you timely estimate when to fire rope and continue. How? Well, in the free fall, a count down will appear over the worm's body as it is falling, counting down when closing the surface from 5 or 3. When it hits zero it hits the ground literally. On one second it means 1 second to react before hitting the ground.

This idea I give to anyone who wishes to purse it and make it a reality. It would be helpful during falls.

Thanks.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline Triad

Re: Fall Calculator (module)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 11:44 PM »
Unrelated to your request, but I gotta ask out of curiosity. Isn't this kinda like hand holding, training mode kind of stuff that you despised in the chute thread? I mean, this is basically like racing lines in racing games. With racing lines, the game tells you when you should hit the brake, with this it will tell you when you should hit the rope. We all know racing lines are considered as training aid, so why you're in favor of such things even though you were really passionate about no chutes in the other thread?

Don't get me wrong, I am not against your idea. I am just curious of your reasoning behind this compared to chute.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 10:29 AM »
Lmao I was just going to say something similar...

Like, the guy was just involved in a MASSIVE debate about how he thinks using parachute in roping is for weaklings, he regards it as hand-holding, and thinks using parachute is a "crutch"...

Then he goes and asks for this????

:D :D :D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D

Like, he could have waited at least a week or something lol.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 11:14 AM »
Quite true, it is like hand holding. Why? Because it will basically have you prepared. I asked because, I was in a BIG zar RR with a couple of friends, and I didn't make a clean drop. So I thought of this fall module that could assist like crate finder. People seemed quite positive to the idea, so I thought to bring it up here. People rope on different resolutions by choice or they are stuck on one particular resolution. I happen to choose my own resolution, but some could say ''Well choose a higher resolution''. My reply would be ''I am used to it''. Then that person with no surprise COULD SAY ''Well, people are used to rope with parachute''  :D

But actually now that I think of it. It was a bad idea to request such module. Why? It is  basically like HAND HOLDING! Like with this crate finder feature! It tells you where the crate is, and with this fall module it will tell you when to react during a drop. But with higher resolution you do get to see more of the map and some could say ''Well Kradie, that's more hardcore'' But then with no parachute, it is more hardcore.  :D ;D :D ;D :D
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 12:07 PM »
Next you will be telling us human babies are pathetic because they are cared and nurtured for many years and they should do everything by themselves without any help at all.

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 01:46 PM »
for f@#! sake, can you scrubs just stop whacking your hands against each other just because you two are using two different playstyles, you free-roaming cows?

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 01:58 PM »
 :D

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 03:19 PM »
This kinda makes sense because indeed people are playing at different resolutions and display sizes, so this could actually even out the potential advantage of having a larger screen. A reasonable fall distance would need to be taken into account so that it doesn't feel like "training mode", and players could make use of their reaction times. This would also help to even out advantage of whether you have previously played on a particular map, knowing where and how to fall.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 03:25 PM by Xrayez »

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 04:00 PM »
I think it's a good idea. WA should be able to cater to all levels of play. Should be activated like /arrows so everyone knows you're using it. Map makers would be glad to stop adding fall indications. Most other video games have a mini-map.

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 04:39 PM »
*points at the tool-assisted speedrun client of WA*

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 04:41 PM »
Edit - Damn, you beat me to one of the points to this as I was writing this!

So yeah, he's a little insight into how weird I am...

I've been sitting thinking about this and actually debating with myself in my head the pros and cons of this:

Me - "It's definitely too much of an advantage telling you exactly when to react, taking out the skill and challenge of timing your reaction pretty much completely..."

Myself - "Yeah, but a lot of Big RR map designers have already implemented a sort of "traffic light" system where they add lines/dots or change colour of the wall RED/AMBER/GREEN giving you a good hint as when to shoot"

Irene - "Yeah but telling you the exact second when you shoot rope is TOO much help"

"Well, what's the difference between numbers, shapes & letters? They are all just signs acting as a countdown telling you when to respond"

"Ok, good point, should it be allowed in a League match?"

"Well players get to choose what maps they play, and there are only a few maps with the "traffic light" system, this would make all maps with these falls too easy, I guess it's not the end of the world but I just thinks it takes away a great challenge from Big RR. Players can change resolution, they can also learn to use cam lock"

Now, when I came to this conclusion I immediately thought, well Kradie is probably gonna challenge me on this and compare it to the parachute debate we just had, so then I thought:

"Then how come you don't like roping without parachute, as it adds a bit more of a challenge?"

"Because this feature would assist your actual roping, if you fall, straight into ground, with or without parachute the outcome will be the same, BOING - POP!"

"I guess this would be like having TAS activated during your whole turn roping, showing each possible rope connection available while being disconnected"

For those of you who don't know, i've had a shot of the TAS before many years ago, it basically moves frame by frame, showing several ropes ahead of the worm that will connect, it's pretty cool.

I'd say it's a good idea for training, in funners etc, i'm still kind of undecided but I guess i'm learning towards not allowing it in a League match, but totally like this idea for training.

Not really bothered if it did become a League thing, I mean if it's available to everybody, as long as it looks good on the screen, and only happens for huge falls, it would be a nuisance to see numbers come up on screen every single time your worm starts falling  :D

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 04:51 PM »
Most other video games have a mini-map.

Wait...

This would be THE BEST F**KING IDEA EVER! for Big RR!!!!! Having a little mini-map showing the position of your worm bottom left/right or top-left/right!!!

One of the best ideas i've heard for a long time :) I think it would look cool as f**k, would be more of a cosmetic than useful because of scale and judging, but still useful!

I reckon it would be hard to implement though? Need to put this into the suggestion box for 4.0 and hope we're still alive to use it  :D ;D :D

Offline Triad

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 06:28 PM »
Minimap idea is actually brilliant, it'll be even more like racing!

Thinking about it, I got a weird idea. Bear with me:

1) Randomly generate a Big RR with Legion's BRRG.
2) 2v2 teams, but only one from each group will be racer, other one will be co-pilot.
3) TTRR scheme, preferably with ldet like Sensei's challenges so you'll have to finish a map ot one sitting.
4) Co-pilots will give racers pace notes, by looking a preview print of map or smth, like in Rally Races.
5) We got Big Rope Rally!

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 06:44 PM »
It's a pretty fun idea Triad to get involved like that, but I guess you can see far enough ahead in the map anyway, and plus a lot of players are very familiar with a lot of maps because there aren't thousands of maps like TTRR. I guess the co-pilots and players would have to memorize maps very well and have knowledge of which moves work best.

I think this idea would work a bit better in Trick Race because the maps are labelled like that.

I guess they would have to use VOIP as well which would be pretty cool as the person roping can't exactly stop to look at chat.

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2019, 09:15 AM »
"Legion's BRRG"....

Hrmmmm, tell me more - what does it do that MapGen doesn't?