Forums
April 29, 2024, 01:32 PM

Author Topic: WormOlympics 2013: Discussion  (Read 6634 times)

Offline StepS

Re: WormOlympics 2013: Discussion
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2013, 02:35 PM »
omg, in the experimental standings Chile loses 79 points. very bad luck  :-X
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2013, 02:37 PM »
maybe ffie can give me 9000pts penalty so chile will win on experimental system as well :D

« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2013, 02:38 PM »
No doubt you've earned it ::)

Offline Crazy

« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2013, 04:39 PM »
for me, the pairings is not the problem. the problem is I now go to bed in 6:00 and get up in around 14:30 because all of my favorite roping tourneys are hosted by chileans at 4:00, 5:00 nights, while there's almost nothing like this in the daytime, rarely even evenings. this killed my sleep, but np. keep playing with yourselves then.

btw guys I think we should advertise WA in asia. I mean, we would have the same people density 24/7, without being so few in the mornings.

Haha Steps, you're crazy man. I like you!! Let's team up for the 2v2 Roper and RR tournaments in the winter edition? Atleast the chileans are hosting tournaments, it's in their timezone, can't really blame them.. If Incog wins this year, he will actually be very close to Random as the best player of all time in WO. Random has 3 golds, 1 silver and 1 bronze, Incog will have 2 golds, 2 silver and 2 bronze ^^

Offline SPW

« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2013, 04:49 PM »
Random00 and I just did that some years ago. We played night tourneys and even some early morning ones (european timezone). Just to f@#! always the same bunch of south americans  :D

And we were successfull.  :)

Offline Crazy

« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2013, 05:42 PM »
On a more serious note though, it's sad to see so much drama, fight, selfish behavior and what not during WO. I don't believe it's one, two, or ten persons fault, it's something that we are all fault in. Ofcourse, some players are worse then others, but that will always be the case. Banning them works on a short-term period but not in the long run. I think I wrote a similar post after last years olympics, where I gave my opinion on why we're having these tournaments in the first place. What's the purpose of having such a large group of tournaments every summer and winter?

Why has FFie been holding this event for the past 10 years? Such voluntary work that goes on for such a long period of time has always a strong passion and will behind it. I can't speak for her, but while all she has ever done is giving of herself, I feel we give little, if not nothing, back in return. Last years mess as an example. WO is such a big part of WA's history, but I can't really see how, or more importantly why, it should continue to be held.

I don't know how many more chances we'll get, but something has to change... And it has to come from the community. I can't remember that there was so much ignorance and bullshit before. I want to say everything was so much better before, it's such an easy way out of the issue, just staying completely out of it, but it's not a good one. What can we do? ???

« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2013, 06:06 PM »
It think it grew up inside each of us from early days. This season was like boiling point for players, so changes kinda required.
Its like in Ukraine about people and Police. This year was a year when people stopped to afraid them and attacked some police stations just becouse boiling point reached. People can`t take anymore all those things that they do. Guess something similar we can see here, but between each other. Becouse those who are players - the a also a mods. Anger is a thing that can grow up. And at some point it explodes. Since one exploded, chained reaction can easely happen. Everyone start thinking that "it`s time". And fill each other with all those dirt.
What world do in sport olympics with players who cheating / behave bad / does unfair things? Those player got discualified for a season. Disqualification is good thing for those who don`t respect rules.
What people do when things goes wrong repeatedly? We changing rules. We rewrite the laws. We improve the laws. Make them nicer and make a rules that minimizes chances of repeation same bad situations.
I think that`s what we also have to do in our case.

« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2013, 07:07 PM »
On a more serious note though, it's sad to see so much drama, fight, selfish behavior and what not during WO. I don't believe it's one, two, or ten persons fault, it's something that we are all fault in. Ofcourse, some players are worse then others, but that will always be the case. Banning them works on a short-term period but not in the long run. I think I wrote a similar post after last years olympics, where I gave my opinion on why we're having these tournaments in the first place. What's the purpose of having such a large group of tournaments every summer and winter?

Why has FFie been holding this event for the past 10 years? Such voluntary work that goes on for such a long period of time has always a strong passion and will behind it. I can't speak for her, but while all she has ever done is giving of herself, I feel we give little, if not nothing, back in return. Last years mess as an example. WO is such a big part of WA's history, but I can't really see how, or more importantly why, it should continue to be held.

I don't know how many more chances we'll get, but something has to change... And it has to come from the community. I can't remember that there was so much ignorance and bullshit before. I want to say everything was so much better before, it's such an easy way out of the issue, just staying completely out of it, but it's not a good one. What can we do? ???

Bravo, mate.

"Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 12 hours." Damn :(

I for one can't stand all this drama, which is why I'm not very active in worms lately. I think I get my fair share of drama at work already and WA is supposed to be my way of escaping the drama of real life. The sort of drama that gets created here just for the heck of it is just so petty, too.
What's worse is that all this bullshit creates extra work for moderators (in this case, especially for FFie and Balee - and I don't recall either of them pissing anyone off unless they thoroughly deserved it). A chimpansee is smart enough to realise it's a bad idea to throw your poop at the people who do something for them that they like. I don't think this is an intelligence race anybody should want to lose.

Now, I'm sure a couple of people who feel they are being talked about are going to think "well, Asbest was the problem!". To that, I can respond with a quote:

[22:50] <aAa`Asbest`LoF> ok, thanks.

Less than an hour earlier, he was so angry at, well, everyone, but for some reason especially me, he said he wished me to be tortured eternally in hell (or something in that order). Not sure how something like a game can inspire that kind of anger in anyone, but never mind that. All I did after that was talk to him.
It's easy to look at someone unpopular and having fun at his or her expense, I see it all the time. Very popular in primary schools, but also online. But you have to remember that Asbest did not start out like this.

You don't have to like everybody, you don't have to show up at their birthday party, you don't have to buy them gifts. Just show them some decency.

It's a sad thing too, because there are plenty of awesome people on WA.
Pyroman, making an easy to use pairing tool for tournaments, for example.
LeTotalKiller and many others, hosting tournaments and taking all the abuse without resorting to bullying themselves.
SPW, hosting eac like that.
MI, always looking for ways to improve TUS.
People hosting cups again and again, like HHC, pizzasheet, Komo (you can say all you want about Komo and he does have his negative sides, but he damn sure does a lot for WA)

The list goes on (I won't include the whole list, since the post would be too long) and for such a small game, that's impressive. And you'll notice that none of them has ever asked for even a thank you in return.

And you know what? It's not even a problem if you're not in that impressive list. People will host their projects because they like it and if you have a good time playing in them, all the more power to you. Just don't make the organisers feel like they're doing something they don't enjoy.

Offline LeTotalKiller

« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2013, 10:47 AM »
DarkOne said it all, I'd probably not have managed to rephrase my thoughts the way he did. Now, I'm pretty sure players who played fairly and behaved fairly would be really disappointed to see that some selfish (and what not) players stole the yearly WO fun they had for upcoming years, and that, just for the sake of the latter category's own selfishness: "haha, we broke WO forever, that thing we hated so hard, gj guys, gg WO xDDDDDDDD". Not being pretentious but I feel like part of the former category (I share the thoughts I've mentioned, at least).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 05:55 PM by LeTotalKiller »

Offline piki1802

« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2013, 01:53 PM »
What can we do? ???

I think, we should not use this thread as a global WormOlympics discussion anymore. Yes, I admit a lot of drama has been here in this season's WO. But the past is the past, and we should focus on the future. Not every years WO can be a succus, and when it isn't (like this one) we should learn about the stuff we did wrong this year, and change that for next years WO.

It's easy pointing fingers, and saying "all the drama is because of Asbest!". What we don't think off, is that he probably wont say anything wrong without a reason. Maybe you've hurt him, or really annoyed him (like me being 5 mins afk in pro 2vs2 tournament). But now don't me wrong, his English isn't that well, so he would offend youquicker than others would.

Noe, there is one thing bugging me, how does every one laugh when taner swears, and when Asbest starts offending multiple times it gets called Drama.

Well, my post made probably no sense, because I still started to talk about the "drama". But for one, I think we should be mire carefull about what we say to people who get easily offended, or don't speak English very well. That's how I think the atmosphere would be better next WO.

Offline LeTotalKiller

« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2013, 05:21 PM »
Eh, can't define "drama" accurately... I guess it would refer to all the controversial discussion caused by the ones who cheated & co. in the first place.

Also, as I've told you on IRC, Asbest is worse in that he actually affects the tournament's tree by sometimes lying about his losses and what not. Taner on the other hand just sits and trolls, which doesn't really affect tournaments' games (the only problem is the insulting, really).

And the thing we have to worry about now is WO's future, or the possible lack thereof.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 05:57 PM by LeTotalKiller »