Forums
April 20, 2024, 04:56 AM

Author Topic: Flaming health bars?  (Read 669 times)

Offline lolicon-guy

• Chile Chile
    • View Profile
Flaming health bars?
« on: April 06, 2020, 04:55 PM »
I made a ranked server years ago, and in order to respect accuracy to the old setup, I spent weeks trying to find info from old/archived pages, people who used to play during ranked years, strings for HTTP headers and HTML tags from executable, and whatever unused data current WormNET could give me (schemes for deleted channels and so on). Something to note, back then I didn't understood just what every individual HTTP header meant; I don't remember which ones, but from my hex editor, today I say: SetPlayerType (which IIRC is NOT related to PlayerLevel, the medal's ID), ServerInformation, SetPlayerReliability, FileCheck, CDFileCheck

One thing that called my attention, W:A was meant to display flaming health bars for Elite and Staff players: I never managed to make those work. There's not a single video about it either, so the only proof of their (previous?) existance are the words from an old guy called CleanAir.
I understand that WormNET has been through many changes on game side forgetting the rank system, and some issues arise such as the misplaced "Show Rankings" button. What I don't know, is if has this feature actually been removed in the new updates, or I simply didn't knew how to enable it.
It's just honest curiousity; For one, do consider that if it happens to be a "locked down" feature that can be fully enabled by "pushing the right hidden button", it's the kind of stuff TCRF would be eager to see.

In case those were effectively removed on further updates, I tried to see them in the original version, under Oracle VirtualBox with Windows XP, but would outright crash at some point when trying to enter any server, no matter how "fail-safe" I'd try to setup mine. I don't remember if I did it with or without the "WA Patch", though.

In resume, my questions are:
- Did I miss a switch, perhaps one of those headers I don't know what are for?
- Have the flaming bars been intentionally removed in an update? which one?
- In case it's unintentionally disabled due to a bug, which was the first update to offer changes to WormNET's interface or game-side system or so on?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 05:14 PM by lolicon-guy »

Offline StepS

Re: Flaming health bars?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 06:12 PM »
It still works in WWP, and I had it working for fun a few years ago (you need my custom MyWormNET for it, I think it should be on github)

has this feature actually been removed in the new updates
yes
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline lolicon-guy

• Chile Chile
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 06:38 PM »
yes
great, so, is it known in which version it got removed? Or does it look the very same with no changes in WWP?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 06:41 PM by lolicon-guy »

Offline WTF-8

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 12:35 AM »
The program then filtered various pieces of data from the communication, which could be used to display a custom rank (instead of the default lowest rank) or, most popularly, turn on the flaming power bars option in online games. These were effectively disabled in a beta in October 2004 (and completely disabled in March 2005) so are now also obsolete.
- https://worms2d.info/LeetF*ck

btw
Quote from: the manual in W:A installation folder
The function to render flaming health bars was always being executed, whether or not any flaming bars were actually being displayed. This routine was unoptimised and very processor intensive. It is now much more efficient, and furthermore will not run unless needed.
- v3.6.21.1 Beta Update (2004.09.23)
The manual in the installation folder is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural