Forums
April 20, 2024, 01:34 AM

Author Topic: Good Guides for New Players?  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Scrungo

• Worlds WORST Worms Player

• United States United States
  • Remember: Be rad, not sad!
    • View Profile
Good Guides for New Players?
« on: October 13, 2020, 07:41 AM »
So, I've been playing W:A for a few years now, but mainly casually, and with friends. I'm not that good at the game competitively, nor do I know much about this game in depth. So, I was wondering if there's any good guides out there to help learn the game?

I really want to start playing this game more seriously, so any help is appreciated!!!! :D
worms is pretty cool

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
Re: Good Guides for New Players?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 08:19 AM »
This is a good guide to play Rope Race: http://d1.worms2d.info/tutorials.htm
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Offline Sir-J

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 08:25 AM »
-
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 05:45 AM by Rudolf289 »

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 08:32 AM »
Ah, these pages will help you a lot too... They received a lot of updates recently and are still being updated by the way.

• The weapons articles of Worms Knowledge Base are very good for you to learn tricks, tips, details and tactics
  • The schemes articles of Worms Knowledge Base have lots of information about each scheme you wanna learn
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 08:38 AM by FoxHound »
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Offline Saint

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 10:14 AM »
my friend created a guide to rope yesterday,unfortunately, it's a Russian voice Dx

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 10:27 AM »
Welcome to Worms Armageddon / The Ultimate Site.

I like to categorize all schemes into 3 categories:

Artillery - This includes everything where the main focus/skill of the scheme is accuracy with firing weapons at other worms, so memorizing weapons and how they work is important, e.g, BnG, Hysteria, Aerial, Boom Race, Golf, Fort, etc.

Strategic - This includes everything where the main focus/skill of the scheme is strategic planning, adaptation and execution, trying to out-think your opponent, e.g,  Team17, Elite, Intermediate, Abnormal, Mole Shopper etc.

Physical - This includes everything where the main focus/skill of the scheme is a players physical ability, with reflexes and hand to eye coordination being extremely important. These schemes use utilities and weapons such as Ninja Rope / Bungee Rope / Jetpack to play schemes such as Roper, Wascar, Big RR, Tower Race, Bungee Race, Jetpack Race, Super Sheep Race, Trick Race, TTRR, WxW, Darts, Warmer etc.

Most players tend to specialize mostly in 1 of these categories, however it's not unusual for some players to excel in all 3 categories.

The great thing about this game, each scheme takes 5-10 minutes to learn, and possibly years to master, among other things, they range in difficulty, luck, skill and length of average time for a game to finish.

The first thing I would advise you to do is to familiarize yourself with the most common schemes people play and the rules:

https://worms2d.info/Schemes

If you visit this page linked directly above, you can spend some time reading up on the various schemes to find out some basic information and even some pages have replays available for download so you can have a look quickly.

If you already have some basic experience and know which schemes you enjoy, i'd follow the advice of Rudolf289 and search through League games here from top players in each scheme, that way you can see the possibilities and techniques used, and attempt to learn them yourself.

Feel free to ask absolutely anything you want and we'll do our best to answer. :)

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 08:50 PM »
There is some long russian youtube video that explains the game mechanics very well but i cant seem to find it

Offline Korydex

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2020, 09:28 PM »
There is some long russian youtube video that explains the game mechanics very well but i cant seem to find it
It's on WormTube, which is linked to in the newbie guide book :)

Offline Scrungo

• Worlds WORST Worms Player

• United States United States
  • Remember: Be rad, not sad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2020, 09:58 PM »
Wow, thank you so much everyone!! I've been spending today reading up on things on worms2d.info, and watching replays of matches!
One question I do have is, what are some of the most played schemes? I would really like to check them out!
worms is pretty cool

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 10:47 PM »
Intermediate is the most played scheme, the biggest worms tournament of the year is going on currently in this scheme at https://cwtsite.com/

There are replays from years past showcasing some of the best worms has to offer on that site.

I believe a few of the guys are streaming and commentating some games this year but I can’t access my twitch account to link you because I forgot password lol

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2020, 11:46 PM »
Intermediate is the most played scheme

Really? Is there proof of that? And is that most played in leagues, as funners, or everything?

Would genuinely come as a massive surprise to me if Intermediate turned out to literally be the most played scheme. But I see so many Big RRs hosted as funners and very little Intermediate compared the past month.

I'd probably agree with it's the most popular league scheme currently because of CWT/ONL, the only other schemes I see being played competitively a lot right now are Team17 and WormsRoper W2 style roper.

I'm curious now to see a list of the top 10 most popular schemes hosted on WNET overall for each year, then again a lot of games don't have the scheme name as the host title so it would be hard to tell.

Over the years i'd say a lot of schemes have had their turn in the spotlight in different ways:

Shopper / Roper / Warmer / Elite / Intermediate / BnG / Hysteria / WxW / Big RR / TTRR / Darts / Kaos / Mole Shopper / Team17 / Aerial / Bungee Race / Battle Race / Boom Race / Super Sheep Race / Fort

I'd say those are the most popular schemes of all time listed above, they've all had phases of being extremely popular.

In my opinion, Roper / Elite / TTRR would be the 3 most popular and played league schemes of all time, but mostly "back in the day".

If we are talking about most popular and common scheme of all time played for fun, i'd honestly say Shopper as everyone ranging from noob to master can enjoy it, and it showcases some nice map design and talent with Ninja Rope / Weapons as well.

Offline Saint

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 09:25 AM »
go to WormNET,you see a lot of hosts here with the name "roper,ttrr,elite"?I don't think so.70% of all games are intermediate,this is the main and main scheme,even when you create a lobby,this scheme is the default,and this is the first scheme that the player who started playing worms gets acquainted with,if we consider TUS specifically,then rope schemes are mainly played here,but what is the point of choosing the most popular scheme?I don't think it matters anymore

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 11:54 AM »
70% of all games are Intermediate, LOL.

Prove it.

Edit - I'm still laughing at that.   ;D

I have nothing against Intermediate, if you enjoy strategic schemes it's one of the best, but wow, to say 70% of all games are Intermediate, that's hilarious.  :D

Edit #2 - I've been sitting in AG all day, I have 2 computers so while watching TV and doing my daily stuff, i've been watching AG on the other screen just to monitor what games are being hosted.

I'm actually really surprised lol, Intermediate does seem to be the game hosted the most, BUT, most of them seem to be the same handful of players hosting over and over again, for example i've seen Bytor host Intermediate1on1 3 times within 5 minutes, multiple times, I guess he keeps getting noobs, quitting and rehosting or something.

Surprisingly, and actually makes me kind of happy, i've been seeing a lot of Supersheeper games hosted.

Those 2, along with Big RR and Shopper, seem to be the 4 most common schemes i've seen hosted today.

Few special mentions as well to - Hysteria, Blast Zone and Mole Shopper.

I'd maybe say 15-25% of all games hosted are Intermediate/Normal, which would still be a much higher percentage than any other scheme today, but no way is it anywhere close to 70%, it's definitely more popular than when I was last active though, that's for sure.

If the OP is looking for the most actively played competitive league scheme with an extremely high skill ceiling, with potential to win prizes and stuff and an actual feeling of progress, improvement and community, Intermediate for sure, no doubt about it right now in this current era of Worms Armageddon.

This is actually very fascinating watching all the games being hosted, for 8 hours straight i've rarely seen the number of games hosted at any one time dip below 4, at any one moment there are at least 4 games hosted, and constantly seeing 6-12 games being available at any one time.

That's great news for activity, the time it takes games to complete, there must be at least 200-400 unique players on every day, even if they aren't league players :)

Offline Anubis

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2020, 08:01 PM »
How many Warmers did you see? lol

Team17 scheme also seems dead to me, right? What else is dead? BnG?