Forums
March 28, 2024, 11:00 AM

Author Topic: How much longer will you play?  (Read 2605 times)

Offline Xrayez

Re: How much longer will you play?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 03:46 PM »
The problem is that W:A/community is going to fade away sooner or later despite having the most loyal wormers here.

Komo, I've quit W:A for similar reasons. I don't feel hopeful for this community. But I would like to revive it.

Since I quit W:A, I've been working on my game project in hopes to recreate W:A, similar to Bamboy's. I didn't know that he was working on the clone at the time I began developing process, though we have split up ideologically anyway. I'm really reluctant to show it off here, part of the reason is that it's still in early development stage, and I'm not really sure whether it's going to succeed. I realize that I need to form a team at some point consisting of content creators and probably developers, so I just let you all know about that.

I'm finishing university this year and will start working on the project more thoroughly. I think it will be a long term project, because there's still much to learn.

My answer: I just replaced playing W:A with "developing W:A", though I miss the community  :-*

Offline Kradie

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 04:35 PM »
Ladies... LADIES! Look at you all, typing cynical words of doom. Worms Armageddon isn't dying, it is your need that is not met, and WA doesn't give it to you anymore. Why is this you wonder? Perhaps the lack of players? Hmm, let's look around, no old school, no familiar faces, no skilled players that YOU know about. OH but wait! What about that user that plays something I don't like? Or that person who hosted a scheme I enjoy but I don't bother to join? Many of these users aren't here on TuS. TuS may be infrastructure of its own, but there's a lot of footwork outside of it. I advice you to go look for it!

But no, here you all are, sitting here telling how much Worms has died and that it's inevitable. So what? Still you are here, inextricable drawn back, just to repeat the circle of death again. Some intellects have other prioritize to follow, and worms may not be on the top 10 to do list. So it makes you sad that you do not have what the rest  might have, consequently encouraging you to make sense of your own life.

But do not feel discouraged, as I said in another thread, follow what makes sense to you. IT is all about you and your happiness, and not others.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline Korydex

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 05:04 PM »
The problem is that W:A/community is going to fade away sooner or later despite having the most loyal wormers here.

Komo, I've quit W:A for similar reasons. I don't feel hopeful for this community. But I would like to revive it.

Since I quit W:A, I've been working on my game project in hopes to recreate W:A, similar to Bamboy's. I didn't know that he was working on the clone at the time I began developing process, though we have split up ideologically anyway. I'm really reluctant to show it off here, part of the reason is that it's still in early development stage, and I'm not really sure whether it's going to succeed. I realize that I need to form a team at some point consisting of content creators and probably developers, so I just let you all know about that.

I'm finishing university this year and will start working on the project more thoroughly. I think it will be a long term project, because there's still much to learn.

My answer: I just replaced playing W:A with "developing W:A", though I miss the community  :-*
gl Xrayzik :)

Offline Sensei

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2017, 05:42 PM »
Can we get some heads ups xray? You tube video or at least some notes about the project you're working on?

Btw, apparently W:A community have lots of ppl that are good in the field of programming. Did any of you ever asked CS and DC to help them with updates? At least they could give some "tasks" to few members of community to fasten up the process and take a load of their backs. That seems to have much more sense than developing W:A copies :/ At least to me.

Or maybe they're just too strict about their bussines and don't want anybody's help :)
We, as players, have really small amount of information about what's happening. It gets frustrating at times..

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 06:00 PM »
ppl like to focus more on school than games... just like me

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 06:06 PM »
Xrayez, hook me up to make the audio stuff!

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 06:13 PM »
Can we get some heads ups xray? You tube video or at least some notes about the project you're working on?

Btw, apparently W:A community have lots of ppl that are good in the field of programming. Did any of you ever asked CS and DC to help them with updates? At least they could give some "tasks" to few members of community to fasten up the process and take a load of their backs. That seems to have much more sense than developing W:A copies :/ At least to me.

Or maybe they're just too strict about their bussines and don't want anybody's help :)
We, as players, have really small amount of information about what's happening. It gets frustrating at times..

I will consider creating a separate thread introducing a first playable. So far I can say is that I'm working on the core features, namely:
  • Loading maps into the world, mostly png with RGBA support, other formats should work as the game engine handles conversion automatically
  • Loaded maps are converted from bitmap to vector objects, allowing for static and dynamic bodies! I considered implementing bitmap, but realized that I want something new, even though it cost me a lot of work.

As the physics is not based on bitmap collision detection as in W:A (?) but rather vector-based physics, the process of land destruction and building is pretty complex and involves many steps of optimization.
Vector-based collision detection and physics is far more superior than simple pixel-perfect detection. At the end, I'd like to have a game where one can interact with everything.

Ropes is another big topic I'll try to implement as close as possible to W:A rope.

I don't really know what CS and DC are working on, they are probably stuck with their own architecture, and that means cool features like I described would be hard to implement in the existing codebase. Besides, I have put a lot of work to turn back, I've been working on this stuff for at least 7 months. I take it as a learning project that might end up something good.

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2017, 06:15 PM »

Sure, I knew you'd be excited! Good sound and visuals are crucial, it will make or break the gaming experience no matter the gameplay.

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2017, 06:29 PM »

Sure, I knew you'd be excited! Good sound and visuals are crucial, it will make or break the gaming experience no matter the gameplay.
im in too, will write the worm dialogue.  i have some dirty limericks i havent used yet. 

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2017, 05:18 AM »
The biggest problem is obsessive behaviour, doctor convinced me to take up a course on mental wellbeing which will begin soon and I hope will help me become mentally stronger.
I can somewhat relate to obsessive behaviour because I've had some OCD-like symptoms in the past but that has been one of my smallest problems as the symptoms were relatively mild. Actually I have a "crazy" idea. I will start a topic about mental illnesses and share you my story. Hopefully the course will help you :)

Anyway, I'm planning to come back to W:A. At least for some games every now and then, even if there are just a few people playing these days :P

Offline Stressfish

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 10:37 PM »
I'm playing this game since 1999, joined this community just some months ago.

Going to play this game as long as I can ping wormnet1.team17.com. Love it and will prefer it to any other game without hesitation!

Offline Hurz

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2017, 12:12 AM »
4 life

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2017, 01:18 AM »
Usually I'm the same "4 life' etc, but how can we do that after everyone else disappears and there are like 20 of us left and don't even enjoy the same schemes...

Too much diversity, no common bound anymore.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2017, 02:53 AM »
TUS challenges!!! Solo offline will be our last worming hope.
By the time online W:A dies (which will happen.. NEVER), there will be enough of these challenges to keep us amused for next 20 years :)

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2017, 03:16 AM »
Yeah but what would be the point doing challenges if no one sees it lol?

Surely the most exciting part of them is having a record other people can see, to acknowledge your hard work...