Forums
April 20, 2024, 12:56 PM

Author Topic: I LET CHATGPT NAME MY WORMS TEAMS?! (NOT CLICKBAIT)  (Read 745 times)

Offline h3oCharles

I LET CHATGPT NAME MY WORMS TEAMS?! (NOT CLICKBAIT)
« on: March 03, 2023, 06:34 AM »
I and Xrayez have recently toyed around with using ChatGPT to name Worms Teams, sometimes even using specified themes

for me, this idea started when I plan to host a worms tournament for participants in a polish speedrunning marathon when I needed to nerf myself in some way. the first thing I thought of, is using a team I didn't memorize a rotation for.

this initially started with me trying to recreate an already existing team "Lemon and Lime" I had by recreating it in polish, but not knowing citruses in my native language and being skeptical of synonymical overlaps, I scrapped that idea

the second attempt was trying to write a prompt in polish, and despite it being my native language, it went horribly. the first step was me trying to come up with a name, so to try to be efficient, I ask for 10 names, then picking one I let them name 8 worms afterward

the result itself wasn't that bad, besides some grammar errors and worm 1 having too long of a name, but it was fine otherwise

what made me doubt myself here was them not correcting errors I name them... again, in Polish. perhaps they are inexperienced in that language.

the next attempt was trying to generate team names with a prompt in English, again, starting with team names.
the names themselves made me confused, so the next prompt was to give lore to each name

however, I ended up scrapping this, because the themes were too similar to worms, as in the IRL animal, where I don't think this is necessary, given the teams are usually fantasy-themed (i think). also, some of the themes were akin to dark siding, which (to put it mildly) I found interesting

so, the next thread, with a slightly different prompt, and the fantasy-themed trope shows. also, given the previous thread, I found having lore to each team be useful, so I can figure out the theme of the teams easier at a glance

each worm is also given some lore as well, cuz may as well lol

overall, besides this taking two prompts, i was pretty satisfied... but i thought it could be better. so I took some time to figure out a single prompt for making one team... and i got it!

the first attempt with the new prompt ended up with a toxic theme, which I find kinda ironic. With this result, besides removing "The" from the team name, everything fits like a glove

in the same thread, I tried asking them for a chess theme (specifically about the most popular chess engine), was a little bit disappointed that they named chess pieces...

but refining the theme gave better results

trying to make a polish-themed team, the first answer was about... snakes and mythology...? to be fair, besides the names being in polish, i didn't specify myself regarding that, and I'm fully aware of that

however, asking it to give another team in the same thread... bingo.

as for Xrayez, being the local Hysteria enthusiast himself, he asked for a Hysteria-themed team, which was pretty decent

i think what really makes this fascinating, is besides the limited internal character table and 16-character limit, naming a team of worms is subjective and open-ended, making this a very interesting topic

oh, and here's the final prompt i used. after that prompt, in a new line, you can specify the theme, too
Code: [Select]
give me a name for a team for a game of Worms, along with 8 worm names, with brief lore for it. these do not have to be thematically similar to the real-life animal
what are your thoughts? do you have any team suggestions?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 06:58 AM by h3oCharles »

Offline Xrayez

Re: I LET CHATGPT NAME MY WORMS TEAMS?! (NOT CLICKBAIT)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 10:59 AM »
besides the limited internal character table and 16-character limit, naming a team of worms is subjective and open-ended, making this a very interesting topic

I think you could ask ChatGPT to come up with worm names that have 16 characters limit, by the way. Or having exactly some number of characters in it. Some names could also start with the same letter to make it slightly harder for the opponent to keep track of the worm order.

You can also ask ChatGPT to fix potential grammar mistakes in your prompt, and then resubmit the prompt again. This generally improves the quality of an answer.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 11:02 AM by Xrayez »

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2023, 01:43 AM »
I think you could ask ChatGPT to come up with worm names that have 16 characters limit, [...]
You can also ask ChatGPT to fix potential grammar mistakes in your prompt and then resubmit the prompt again. [...]
usually when I specify that in my prompts, they don't really follow that, and sometimes even makes things more scuffed. maybe not specifying the exact length could work, such as "try using as few characters as possible" or sth like that

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 08:41 PM »
update regarding this as I've been generating more teams

i attempted the Lemon and Lime team again, and in the first attempt, they apparently thought that a Kiwi is a citrus...

...thankfully, they corrected themselves after a follow-up prompt

As for specific themes, this is where the open-ended nature of the task really shines, as some of the coming-up teams here were based around WA's default soundbanks, Angry Scots being first

The next attempt was a team for the Drill Seargent soundbank, and overall, the names were problematic because of the length, so I had to look up military titles to shorten the names, and now (the titles being all capitalized) look tacky. I could do a follow-up prompt with trying to fix that, but I'm not sure if that's even recoverable

tried one for Cyberworms, and i feel like this one went too all over the place, probably because of my theme prompt... maybe ill try that one again later.

btw, they like to give "The" prefix to a bunch of team names, but that prefix a lot of the times is a difference between the name fitting in, so i usually remove it

next is the Thespian soundbank, and i think this is as best as it gets for this prompt

next, i tried a historic Poland team, and i had to regenerate once due to theme inconsistency, but it came out pretty well

last one for now (with greetings to Dejw) is Linux OSes, which came out perfectly

idk how long I'm still gonna milk this, but this is a pretty good creative exercise for me