Forums
April 19, 2024, 08:04 AM

Author Topic: It's That Time Again  (Read 2685 times)

Offline Ricky

• India India
    • View Profile
Re: It's That Time Again
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2014, 01:22 PM »
where we stand on the issue of seeing out community grow (potentially at the cost of it becoming less tight and cozy) and so on. This thread:

Are the veterans of WA afraid that they will be lose their identity if the community grew to unprecedented levels some day? Is that what is meant by the "cost" which is often mentioned?

Anyway I don't know what the excitement is about, we know that Cybershadow and Deadcode are working on the game and CyberShadow has said that the progress may be slow but they do have a free hand so it is not like Mike will ask CS and DC to show some urgency... also I think since Team17's forum closure the uncertainty has somewhat increased on future developments.

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2014, 02:49 PM »
Are the veterans of WA afraid that they will be lose their identity if the community grew to unprecedented levels some day? Is that what is meant by the "cost" which is often mentioned?

I don't think it's a matter of the veteran players being afraid of getting replaced at the top echelons of play by a new generation, in fact most of those I talk to regularly would welcome the competition. It's more about the atmosphere in the community potentially shifting as a result of an invasion of new players not following established norms that we take for granted today, like for example how aliasing is generally frowned upon on WormNet, or how tough we tend to be on cheaters compared to many of the extremely populated (shooter) games out there and things like that. Unless 4.x happens first, hardcodes standard variants of the competitive schemes into the game itself, implements scheme rules natively and somehow finds a way to bring attention to various guides and tutorials, I do think it's a realistic fear that WA might lose some of the aspects that make it such a unique game to play with others online.

Does any of that for a second make me wish it wouldn't explode with activity overnight? Hell no.

Anyway I don't know what the excitement is about, we know that Cybershadow and Deadcode are working on the game and CyberShadow has said that the progress may be slow but they do have a free hand so it is not like Mike will ask CS and DC to show some urgency... also I think since Team17's forum closure the uncertainty has somewhat increased on future developments.

I feel this uncertainty is just what Mike's arrival stands to improve. More communication between T17 and the two maintainers, but also between them and the player base, is something I can only welcome. Whether it ends up resolving any actual issues or not, perhaps serves to motivate things to move on at a quicker pace... don't know yet. We'll see!

Offline HHC

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2014, 03:12 PM »
Sounds like he'll be gone in a month  ;D

Poor chap.

T17's main prob is that they want to make games they don't have the skill for.
It looks okay on their desktop but 80% of the players have issues running the game the way it is supposed to. And then they haven't even started playing yet. It just makes people pissed off.. and eventually they stop buying the tenth-a-year follow up to a series that 20 years ago was world class, but right now is just giving people hemorrhoids.

They should focus on small, simple 2d apps. And once that works correctly, transform the app into a game that looks the same, but just has additional options that the small size of an app can't support.
I'll say it again, the best thing they released lately was Crazy Golf. That's the way to go imo.

The sales success of the facebook game proves my point.
As limited and unsatisfying it is to those of us used to a complete game of that.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 03:14 PM by HHC »

Offline flex

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 10:35 AM »
lel

Offline StepS

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 01:11 PM »
I'll say it again, the best thing they released lately was Crazy Golf. That's the way to go imo.
Indeed
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline The Extremist

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 04:45 AM »
I actually recently skimmed over that old TUS thread from 2011 where we were discussing the possibility of WA (4.x) making it onto Steam and it strikes me that a lot of the replies there were direct answers to things Mike has been asking about so far. How important official rankings are to us, why WA is the game for us, where we stand on the issue of seeing our community grow (potentially at the cost of it becoming less tight and cozy) and so on.

The WA community has been WAY too tight 'n' cozy for too long. The in-crowd dominates and is causing stagnation.

I'm happy to see that Team17 is loosening up a bit. Lately, they've just been focused on promoting their new products and rarely answer questions outside the scope of their marketing strategy.

Here are my requests for the new guy...

1. Correct the recommended system specs on WA's Steam page.

2. Tell DC/CS to give us an estimated timeline based on their current progress instead of the same old "when it's done".

3. Have Team17 actively promote WA. It may be old, but it still has the most features/flexibility of any Worms game, and offers a special kind of gameplay that can't be found anywhere else.

Offline Free

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2014, 09:00 AM »
I contacted T17 year and a half ago through CS and was offering them visibility on a huge finnish lan party, my free time/work and money to DC so he could finish up with the new patch asap

I was asking about legal issues and wanting someone to contact me but got nothing back.

Bitches

Offline Ricky

• India India
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 08:39 AM »
The feedback page, it seems is no longer being maintained so while we wait for the 4.0 update, how do we know about the features and requests that are likely to appear in 3.x updates? And if someone wants to discuss those or may have a new idea what would be the best place for him to present it, here or on the Steam forum?

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 04:19 PM »
The first gaming session with Mike is finally going to happen tonight, guys. Details here:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/217200/discussions/0/41973821460129641/

The feedback page, it seems is no longer being maintained so while we wait for the 4.0 update, how do we know about the features and requests that are likely to appear in 3.x updates? And if someone wants to discuss those or may have a new idea what would be the best place for him to present it, here or on the Steam forum?

The UserVoice feedback page is still relevant, but the devs do keep an eye on both the Steam discussion forum and this section of TUS here. So I guess people use whichever they prefer. I just pester them about things on IRC. :D