Forums
March 29, 2024, 02:35 PM

Author Topic: Map making help  (Read 472 times)

Offline skunk3

Map making help
« on: July 16, 2018, 02:23 AM »
I've decided to try my hand at making some Big RR maps and I gotta say that I am totally stuck. I don't have much of an image editing background aside from basic cropping/resizing/color shifting of photos in Photoshop. I have been messing around today with the Paint.net program as well as an old copy of Paint Shop Pro 9.0. In the Paint.net program I wasn't able to figure out how to overlay a grid, nor how to 'snap' my lines to said grid. In PSP I was able to figure that out now I have other issues. Whenever two of my lines end on the same point, the result is a blocky stump at the end rather than a rounded/smooth node. I also can't figure out the tool for making various kinds of curved lines at all. I remember drawing curved lines in Photoshop a long time ago and it seemed much easier. In PSP I can't figure it out at all and end up getting random elliptical shapes, often going in directions that I don't want. It's all a huge mess, and I'm just playing around with solid color lines. I have no idea how to make the terrain a texture of some sort, or how to make it appear beveled / 3D. I thought that making maps would be a piece of cake but it's proving more annoying that I anticipated... and making more complicated stuff like the steps in Yuurepoer maps? Yeah right. I wouldn't even know how to begin with something like that.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 02:25 AM by skunk3 »

Offline Dr Abegod

Re: Map making help
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 03:21 AM »
In PS go to the layers palette. Make the background layer black. Add a new layer to draw the map on.

Now select the line tool. U can choose in the menu to either draw so called paths, shapes or pixels. To start with just select pixels. Make sure the new layer is selected when you draw. The color you use is not important now.
Now draw your map. Right click on the new layer and select layer styles. Here you can select another color, 3d effects etc..
HF

Offline skunk3

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 06:21 AM »
I'm gonna need to 'acquire' a copy of Photoshop.

Offline WTF-8

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 06:56 AM »
"5% bought yet"
The manual in the installation folder is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

Offline HHC

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 07:32 AM »
use paint  ;D Even a total naab can use that program.

I use it for most stuff nowadays  :-[