Forums
April 16, 2024, 04:45 AM

Author Topic: MapGEN v0.8.7.2  (Read 55148 times)

Offline TheWalrus

Re: MapGEN v0.7.0
« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2016, 05:45 PM »
Ok, new version is up with the following changes:

v0.7.0
* New algorithm for SSR. I suck at SSR, so if anyone out there can let me know if it produces completeable maps it would be much appreciated!
* Added drop-down to allow selection of colour depth, defaults to 64.
* Changed width and height sliders to allow a min map size of 696x696 so people can make tall thin maps
* Changed width and height sliders to only allow selection of valid values (multiples of 8 etc) rather than fixing just before generation.
pluto, do you think we could include some custom terrain into next update?  I know of a few people that have used mapgen to create custom landscapes using their own image assets, could be nice to have a few more choices.

Offline Kaleu

« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2016, 07:06 PM »
Great tool man! Thanks a lot!
Experience the best TTRR gameplays with my maps!

→ The best of Kaleu ←

↓ Average anti-modules player ↓

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2016, 07:39 PM »
Ok, new version is up with the following changes:

v0.7.0
* New algorithm for SSR. I suck at SSR, so if anyone out there can let me know if it produces completeable maps it would be much appreciated!
* Added drop-down to allow selection of colour depth, defaults to 64.
* Changed width and height sliders to allow a min map size of 696x696 so people can make tall thin maps
* Changed width and height sliders to only allow selection of valid values (multiples of 8 etc) rather than fixing just before generation.
pluto, do you think we could include some custom terrain into next update?  I know of a few people that have used mapgen to create custom landscapes using their own image assets, could be nice to have a few more choices.

Yeah, of course, I can put together a new Theme pack if you have some assets?

Offline SiD

Re: MapGEN v0.7.1
« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2016, 09:56 PM »
Very nice improvement to SSR generation. No more path overlaps and visually more pleasing.
70 path size is always completable regardless of complexity. 50 path size can generate bends I believe to be impossible.

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2016, 10:07 PM »
Hey SiD, thanks for the info! I did wonder! Any idea on the smallest theoretically completable size? I will adjust the minimum if we can work it out. Have you managed it on 70 then? Shall I set it to that for now? Do you have a replay?

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2016, 10:23 PM »
Having prodded at it a bit more, yes 50 looks impossible, 60 looks like it might be doable if you stick to the outside, so I will make that the minimum for the next build.

Offline SiD

« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2016, 10:30 PM »
70 replay
* 2016-03-20 22.26.05 [Offline] R___R.WAgame (152.36 kB - downloaded 101 times.)

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2016, 07:45 PM »
:D Very nice. Let me know if you have any suggestions for improvements. I was thinking of adding checkpoints if I can work out a nice way of doing them.

Offline XanKriegor

« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2016, 01:32 AM »
I tried to make a BnG map in-game but it returns only one style maps that looks like a dozen of spikes. I cant see any way to build in WA's editor any options related to MapGEN, but may be random styles should be its output? Like: spikes, flat, canyon, ±floaters and other options, and so on, so a player could get a desired style eventually.

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #114 on: March 22, 2016, 06:59 AM »
Hi Xan,
Currently, the wormkit module just uses your saved settings. If you open mapgen, set all the options to random (grey ticks) and the others to how you like it and press save on the top right, it will continue to use that in game.

Obviously, this isn't great if you like variety. I have avoided trying to hijack the editors settings, as they will change each version, which is a pain. I will probably look to fibd a way to save particular settings, or at least have multiple defaults, but haven't got round to looking at it yet.

Offline XanKriegor

« Reply #115 on: March 22, 2016, 08:21 AM »
Hi, Plutonic, thanks, that isnt nithing already)))

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2016, 11:46 AM »
I have some suggestions regarding IndiMask.

- Ability to force all colors to a single behavior (indi, tough, weak)
- In the editor, PageUp and PageDown will move the highlighted color up and down respectively.

Also, can you explain how WfW tiles work?

EDIT1: Also, how about Mole Shopper maps? Take a map size, choose how much holes you want and boom, ready to play with no surprises. Good for RubberWorm Mole Shopper too.

EDIT2: For some weird reason, Maze Shopper only generates one combination. Why?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 12:14 PM by TheMadCharles »

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2016, 08:38 PM »
I have some suggestions regarding IndiMask.

- Ability to force all colors to a single behavior (indi, tough, weak)
- In the editor, PageUp and PageDown will move the highlighted color up and down respectively.

Nice ideas, I'll add them to the list!

Also, can you explain how WfW tiles work?

Maybe. It's been a while since I wrote it. The simple answer is "not all the well" if you ask me! I want to have another go at it at some point but haven't come up with any good ideas yet. Is there something specific you want to know about it? If so I can try and remind myself!

EDIT1: Also, how about Mole Shopper maps? Take a map size, choose how much holes you want and boom, ready to play with no surprises. Good for RubberWorm Mole Shopper too.

I never did anything for mole shopper because I assumed that there was nothing more to do than the in build editor could provide. But if you have some ideas for things get them down in here and I may give it a go.

EDIT2: For some weird reason, Maze Shopper only generates one combination. Why?

Um.. no idea! Does it? I hadn't noticed. (Checks). Your right! Urrr, I'll take a look.
Edit: Fix for next version.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 09:07 PM by Plutonic »

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2016, 10:15 PM »
For WfW, I would like to know which color means what

As it goes for Mole Shopper:,
- obviously to get a very big (8000x8000 that is) or very small (696x696) map size
- have grass and/or soil on top and on bottom respectively of the map on demand
- randomly placed holes like they are in W:A, or one could make a custom hole sprite and ability to choose how much can be put. Over 300 will have to do it, because that's the max default in W:A
- maybe random tunnels on demand? with size of them and how much on demand? I wouldn't be surprised if that would be too difficult

Also, for some reason using the map width slider I can't come back to the default width of 1920. Why?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 10:19 PM by TheMadCharles »

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2016, 10:55 PM »
For WfW, I would like to know which color means what

Oh! Are you trying to customise it by adding / modifying the stuff in the tiles directory? Ok, I will have to go remind myself.

As it goes for Mole Shopper:,
- obviously to get a very big (8000x8000 that is) or very small (696x696) map size
- have grass and/or soil on top and on bottom respectively of the map on demand
- randomly placed holes like they are in W:A, or one could make a custom hole sprite and ability to choose how much can be put. Over 300 will have to do it, because that's the max default in W:A
- maybe random tunnels on demand? with size of them and how much on demand? I wouldn't be surprised if that would be too difficult

Yeah, ok, will take a look at some point :)

Also, for some reason using the map width slider I can't come back to the default width of 1920. Why?

Thought I had fixed that, will take a look.