Forums
March 29, 2024, 05:44 AM

Author Topic: MapGEN v0.8.7.2  (Read 54780 times)

Offline Plutonic

Re: MapGEN v0.8.6.2
« Reply #300 on: February 04, 2019, 01:27 PM »
Ok, I think I can see what people mean, will have a stab at a new version.

oooh, I do like these pillar islands. maybe add a scale slider to make the same results but at a higher dpi and no artifacts?

What do you mean by this? not sure what you mean by dpi in this case, and can you point out the artifacts?

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #301 on: February 04, 2019, 03:23 PM »

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #302 on: February 04, 2019, 03:34 PM »
Well, that's just a bigger map, you can set any map size you want up to about 8000x8000.

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #303 on: February 04, 2019, 03:47 PM »
Well, that's just a bigger map, you can set any map size you want up to about 8000x8000.

Does MapGEN generate from a random seed internally? I think it would be good to expose it and be able to modify it, that way we can compare how the same map looks with the same aspect ratio but different size, using the same seed for generation.

Offline StepS

« Reply #304 on: February 04, 2019, 05:16 PM »
oooh, I do like these pillar islands. maybe add a scale slider to make the same results but at a higher dpi and no artifacts?
You can create double-sized terrain themes and use them to generate higher-dpi maps. Here's a test I did with Medieval x2 (on the right):
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #305 on: February 04, 2019, 07:30 PM »

Does MapGEN generate from a random seed internally? I think it would be good to expose it and be able to modify it, that way we can compare how the same map looks with the same aspect ratio but different size, using the same seed for generation.

Yes, it does have an internal seed, and while it isn't possible to manually enter one, re-generating with a known seed is possible using the "Modify" button. For example, these two RR maps were made by saving a map, pressing 'modify' and then doubling both the map size and the path width before regenerating. If you "load" a previously saved map you also load in its seed and can re-generate it with a different texture, different object layouts etc.

The issue here is that many of the algorithms aren't currently "stable", in that by tweaking the values, more work needs to be done, more random numbers need to be rolled and the maps diverge. The cavern maps here also share a seed, but because the complexity hasn't also been scaled to match they look very different.

I do however have fixing that on my to-do list, ideally the same seed would try to keep maps similar even with settings tweaks. Once I have algorithms we are happy with, I will get on to playing with that.

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #306 on: February 04, 2019, 07:47 PM »
Ha, ok, I have just "fixed" that issue for the new caverns...

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #307 on: February 09, 2019, 02:25 PM »
yes! that's exactly what I'm looking for! :D

Offline Edoardo Moretti

• Italy Italy
  • Wacky Asperger and creator of War'n'Guns.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 09, 2019, 10:00 PM »
That's a cool and interesting program and I tried it. Good Job!

By the way...like ARTemych, I'm making some custom themes based on my series War'n'Guns:https://www.tus-wa.com/forums/off-topic/a-brand-new-creaction-warnguns-32216/. the first theme is called Evil's Castle, I just finished to make the ground and soon I will make the objects.

There's some examples so far...

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #309 on: February 10, 2019, 11:00 AM »
yes! that's exactly what I'm looking for! :D

Ok cool, I will add an option for that type of scaling.

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #310 on: February 11, 2019, 02:05 PM »
Super quick update on the new island maps. With sensible settings I am now getting this:

It is obviously possible to create some weird maps with settings at their extremes, but... well what would you expect?

« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 10:02 AM by Plutonic »

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #311 on: February 11, 2019, 03:48 PM »
Looks a lot more like W:A style to me, which is good.  :)

I think Sensei and me want a special type of map for Aerial scheme as he mentions about maps being more spaced so that to allow easy jetpack maneuvering.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #312 on: February 11, 2019, 03:58 PM »
Looks a lot more like W:A style to me, which is good.  :)

I think Sensei and me want a special type of map for Aerial scheme as he mentions about maps being more spaced so that to allow easy jetpack maneuvering.

For that Aerial scheme you linked, yeah, you'd need quite basic open maps cause without sudden death, games can get nasty darksided.

@Plutonic, awesome work. Looks lot better now. As Xrayez said, I would have hard time distinguishing mapgen and ingame generator island map now.
Will let you know for more possible patches if I stumble upon any. Thx for fixing.

Offline SiD

« Reply #313 on: February 11, 2019, 04:21 PM »
I really like the hexagonal generation, It'll be available for island maps too?

Also, the number of colours selected in the program doesn't seem to affect the maps generated in the map editor.

Offline Plutonic

« Reply #314 on: February 11, 2019, 04:42 PM »
Thanks! I will finish off what I have and let you lot play with the settings to see if it can function to Aerial, if not I can add some extra params to hopefully help.

I really like the hexagonal generation, It'll be available for island maps too?

Also, the number of colours selected in the program doesn't seem to affect the maps generated in the map editor.

It wasn't originally planned, the hex grid is purely part of the underlying algorithm and rendering it was just a debug tool, that said, there is no harm in allowing it, just have to find
a place to put it in the interface.