Forums
April 23, 2024, 06:59 PM

Author Topic: People using the prefix "Sir" infront of their nicks  (Read 3667 times)

Offline Crazy

People using the prefix "Sir" infront of their nicks
« on: May 26, 2010, 12:04 PM »
I find it a bit odd when I see people, mostly some members of CKC, using the title Sir infront of their nicks. It`s a free world, so why not, but this title does have a meaning after all. You receive the title when you are made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire, and knighted for some kind of Honour. I really doubt anyone on Worms has been made CBE for their outstanding work on worms, lol. The only player I can think of who can pull it off wearing this title, is SirSmokeAlot, ironically an ex CKC member. He has though, as far as I can remember, always had this nick. But when you all of a sudden change your nick from *** to Sir***, it`s just wrong!

You have to EARN the title. You receive the title because you really deserved it. Let me take some examples: Sir Elton John! He has done outstanding work within the music for the past 40 years, and also done alot for the fight against AIDS. Or Sir Paul McCartney! His singing career has passed 50 active years now, but he`s still going strong. The Beatles, I feel I don`t need to say anymore. Sir Ian McKellen, maybe an unknown name for some. He played Gandalf in LOTR. He was given the title because of his outstanding work for theatre, acting, and also fighting for equality and Gay Rights.

Say, if there were anyone in Worms who had the power to entitle someone to Sir, lets take Spadge in team17 for example lol, there are only 3 or 4 active members of this community that deserves this title. First off is our very own DarkOne. He has done so much for the community for the past 10 years, and he`s still contributing. Making many many maps for a various of schemes, reviewing maps for WMDB, inventing RRKit where he hosted tournaments and updated the ranks after every week, writing tutorials to help newbies like Zippo, helping out on FB with the playoffs, offering his services at XTC, and now helping out here at TUS where is the one who does most of all 4 mods on the complaints, and also making sure people get their Cup games done.
The next one that comes to my mind is HHC. He has like Darkone done a lot for the community in many ways for over a decade. He was helping out and mod`ing at WACL in 99/00, he created his own league WL, which was for both wa and wwp. Being a mod at this league was not easy, as every game was reported manually on the forums, whereas HHC would have to add them to the standings on a daily basis. HHC also created WEL if I`m not mistaken, he has made tons of maps, creating new schemes, and writing tutorials such as his well known T17 tutorial.
The last one I want to mention is Chicken23. Being one of the most loyal players on WA, and one of the best clan leaders on WA. C23 has always been one of the most active and eager forum writers on many different kind of leagues. He has alot of ideas and knowledge which the community benefits from. He`s also been helping out with leagues, at XTC he did a great job helping out Veg. C23 also took the initativ to create an own league when there was no other around, but the league was doomed to get hacked by a no-lifer.

Well, I could mention more names, but I feel I`ve dealt out enough brag here :-[ My point is, remove the title, please. No one should wear it, its Worms, but if someone should wear it, its none of those whos actually wearing it now! I may be overreacting here, but I just had to get it out of the system.

Offline TheKomodo

Re: People using the prefix "Sir" infront of their nicks
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 12:32 PM »
I agree, but now that you have mentioned it, tomorrow, everyone will be Sir...

Offline chakkman

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 12:55 PM »
I actually think you are overreacting a bit Crazy. I mean this is a game and people pick their nicks for fun, there's not too much thinking behind it mostly i guess. :) 

Offline Free

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 01:08 PM »
Who pissed on your morning cereals Crazy? :D

Nice post about the valuable members though, you have good memory. :O0o0

Offline HHC

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 01:14 PM »
I modded WACL in like 2003 (?), when it made a short comeback. I loved doing it (more than the manual stuff of WL and WEL that just became a drag), but Colon wasn't planning on pulling through with the project.. it was a shame  :'(

btw, thanks for the honours  :D

Offline Crazy

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 01:29 PM »
I actually think you are overreacting a bit Crazy. I mean this is a game and people pick their nicks for fun, there's not too much thinking behind it mostly i guess. :) 

Yeah maybe, but if you name yourself Sir, you must have very high thoughts about yourself  in my eyes :o

Offline Ray

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 01:30 PM »
Sir, it's just a nickname after all. ;)

Nice post about the people though. Hey, I did a lot for the Hungarians, just people don't know that, why would they? Do I get to be SiRay? [/sarcasm]

Offline Crazy

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 01:34 PM »
I modded WACL in like 2003 (?), when it made a short comeback. I loved doing it (more than the manual stuff of WL and WEL that just became a drag), but Colon wasn't planning on pulling through with the project.. it was a shame  :'(

btw, thanks for the honours  :D

Okay, IBB in 99/00 and you in 2003 then, I thought it was opposite! But yeah Free, I had to get up way too early today :P

Offline Crazy

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 01:44 PM »
Sir, it's just a nickname after all. ;)

Nice post about the people though. Hey, I did a lot for the Hungarians, just people don't know that, why would they? Do I get to be SiRay? [/sarcasm]

Well, there`s a difference between working at a restaurant and calling one of the customers on a table for Sir, then a Sir in which it has become part of the persons name.  I have the outmost respect for people such as McCartney, E. John, McKellen, and also Alex Ferguson at some sort. So being a Sir for me, its not just a nickname, Sir is someone people in general really respect. I`m not saying I don`t respect Shyguy/Sogeking and Luzak/Juice, but they havent deserved this title yet.
It`s great what you`ve done for the Hungarians Ray, but you must prove yourself worthy over time (over a longer period). It`s not that hard to do an effort for a smaller period, but if you keep on delivering year after year with the same passion and contribution, that`s when you`re starting to earn the title.

Offline THeDoGG

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 02:01 PM »
Ahah !

And what about "Lord" then ? Does LordHound really deserve this nick name ?

But if we keep your logic Crazy, people can't use a name that doesnt really describle them.. Are you really "Crazy" ?? For me you are not crazy enough =)

Will HHC really come here ? and will IBB really be back ? I havent see him for years, he shoulda use the name IWBB (I wont be back)

Is MI a monkey living in an Island ? Oh yeah he's for real sorry, here's the proof xD

Is NC a ninja smoking camels ? Is Free really.. a free man?? Does OS never change his socks ? :O

I can continue the list with a lot of examples..  :P

Offline chakkman

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 02:05 PM »
I can just agree with TheDogg. And Crazy, seriously spoken your name is an insult for people from the lunatic asylum. ;)

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 02:09 PM »
lol crazy.... crazy

but about SIR, theres that german "clan" SIR, they all play worms in an internet cafe themed like a space ship. Heh, nice guys, always makes me chuckle
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:11 PM by NAiL »
worm and learn

Offline HHC

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 02:10 PM »
Will HHC really come here ?

yes

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 02:18 PM »
lol no offence man but your post seems like a big unessecary ass lick. Im not saying the people you mentioned havent done good work for the community, but theres so many other people that have done good work for the community that there isnt any point in just mentioning 3 of them...
worm and learn

Offline Free

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 02:21 PM »
Is Free really.. a free man?? Does OS never change his socks ? :O

Hell yea I'm a free man!

And I doubt OS, the lazy weed smoking bum he is, even bothers wearing socks.