Forums
March 28, 2024, 10:19 PM

Poll

Could real time mode neglect the turn based mode in WA?

Yes
4 (23.5%)
No
6 (35.3%)
It will be about 50/50
7 (41.2%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Real time mode in Worms Armageddon?  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Kradie

Real time mode in Worms Armageddon?
« on: April 02, 2019, 03:28 PM »
We may have come so attached to the schemes we play. Do you think they will be neglected in favor for real time implementation to Worms Armageddon?
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Real time mode in Worms Armageddon?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 05:34 PM »
Could colonization of other solar systems interfere with colonization of Pluto? I don't think we'll ever get realtime support unless WA gets open-sourced. Either way it's a long way off.

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 07:20 PM »
it will have its purpose, but Worms is Worms - the classic will stay with old-schoolers, whether it be returning or active players

as for schemes go, so far you can have your usual normal remixes, real-time rope/chute/jet/walk races, in-game map making, ... idk
scheme creators might find something nice, but Worms at it's core will remain as a turn-based strategy game

Online shmug

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 03:08 AM »
I'm just curious what people will come up with

Real time racing is obvious

What else?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 03:09 AM by shmug »

Offline Sensei

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 05:33 AM »
I'm just curious what people will come up with

Real time racing is obvious

What else?

When you say racing, you might think only about rope.
But there's whole abundance of schemes with same philosophy.

Boom race, battle race, jetpack race, parachute race, supersheep race.. What about golf or some crazy variant of capture the flag, forts, mine madness..

And we're talking only about schemes that already exists.
Ppl probably thought rubberworm was not gonna change much and that WA can't be optimized further.. but you can see how many positive things came out of that module in recent years.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 08:25 AM »
If there is a realtime mode ever implemented in the future, I'd like it to be sophisticated enough to not merely be all players taking turns at the same time, but editable to a degree. For example, in a 3 vs 3 match each turn is one player from each team.

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 09:05 AM »
Real-time mode would require significant rewrite I suppose (to support all features), as the underlying architecture was made to work in modem era which didn't allow to synchronize game between players in real-time. Modern games take advantage of high-speed Internet so you see more games shifting towards real-time experience. Some RTS games could still use the technique as in Worms to optimize the sheer amount of data needed to synchronize players. For instance, imagine the case with thousands of units. Both techniques have their pros and cons.

There are two aspects of this: the gameplay and the actual architecture. Turn-based and real-time modes could co-exist just fine if the architecture was made real-time from ground-up as turns could be still processed in real-time, but not the other way around.