Forums
March 28, 2024, 05:12 PM

Author Topic: Roping - what do you like and hate about it?  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Xrayez

Roping - what do you like and hate about it?
« on: November 08, 2017, 11:52 AM »
I decided to start this topic in hopes to gather more perspective on how ropers deal with, well, ropes. The opinions are scattered throughout forums and I'd like to integrate this knowledge. This knowledge will be valuable for any potential spiritual successor of W:A that comes out, including mine, as you may know. I feel like this is a crucial part of the game that made W:A prosper, including BnG (of which I know most of the aspects already). Alas, my roping experience is limited.

If you don't mind, please try to answer some of the following questions:
  • What do you like/hate about roping?
  • What features would you add/remove in order to facilitate/improve roping experience?
  • Is remapping essential and how would you see it?
  • What is so special about W2 rope compared to W:A rope?
  • Are you satisfied with rope's physics? Would you like to see both realistic and current rope physics alongside?
Don't limit yourself on the vision of how would you improve it, but also replace it with totally different beast that is better than the current rope.

Possible features:
  • Controllable and unrestricted angle (Xrayez, HHC)
  • Rope reattachment without using second instance of rope (HHC)
  • Auto-detachment on attachment (Xrayez)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 12:58 PM by Xrayez »

Offline HHC

Re: Roping - what do you like and hate about it?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 12:17 PM »
It's basically a jetpack that runs on human fuel, that's the fun in it. You have pretty much the same capabilities, but it's you who makes the engine work and decide on the speed.

What would make it more interesting (possibly) is if it had the same steering possibilities as a jetpack. Rope as it is now is limited to \, I or / angles. In practice this means the only decent maps to roperace on are strictly horizontal and vertical tubes. It's impossible to race a tube that is diagonal, or a corner that is circle-shaped.

A perfect one isn't needed though, there needs to be some limitations, that's part of the fun. Nothing beats blowing yourself up releasing a zook  ;D

Remapping doesn't seem essential? I'd keep it simple, more than arrows and spacebar to use and the thing becomes overly complicated? Like, it's hard enough for newbs in WA to rope.

W2 is more frisky a rope, it's a tiny bit quicker and it doesn't reach as far as WA one. What makes the W2 one the most fun to me is the sound of the 'ploing'  ;D

Realistic rope physics? Like in the newer generation worms? It works terrible :x You need the rope to be stiff..

I take it you've looked at the one in speedrunners?

It has no limitation in angle it seems, although I'm not sure it's perfect just yet. Haven't played this game myself btw, but perhaps you can pick up on some things, like the way zooks and such are shot while in mid-air. In your worms clone it could be something like this as well, where you perhaps select rope at the start of the turn, but where you can let go off the rope during a race and just reattach again without using a 2nd instance of the weapon. Then you could make the moving a mix of various techniques. The jumping also seems something you could implement, jumping against walls to go up large shafts and all that. In WA its just backflip and chutes :x
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 12:19 PM by HHC »

Offline Sensei

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 12:41 PM »
  • What features would you add/remove in order to facilitate/improve roping experience?
  • Are you satisfied with rope's physics? Would you like to see both realistic and current rope physics alongside?
Don't limit yourself on the vision of how would you improve it, but also replace it with totally different beast that is better than the current rope.

• No luck, only skill. / Nothing to hate there..Except screen tearings with vsync off. Hope it gets fixed sometime.
  • No adds. Only chute and rope + white flag when Sensei owns you.  / Dyna and nana? Haha, please...
  • If you don't use mechanical keyboard, sooner or later it will be essential. / There's no advantage, only habbit and training.
  • Not a thing.
  • Yes / Yes

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 12:46 PM »
What would make it more interesting (possibly) is if it had the same steering possibilities as a jetpack. Rope as it is now is limited to \, I or / angles. In practice this means the only decent maps to roperace on are strictly horizontal and vertical tubes. It's impossible to race a tube that is diagonal, or a corner that is circle-shaped.

I think this can be achieved quite nicely. The \ and / angles mechanics may remain, but the rope's angle could be actually shifted by the character's rotation to confirm to tube's angle.

Haven't played this game myself btw, but perhaps you can pick up on some things, like the way zooks and such are shot while in mid-air. In your worms clone it could be something like this as well, where you perhaps select rope at the start of the turn, but where you can let go off the rope during a race and just reattach again without using a 2nd instance of the weapon.

Yeah, good idea. All little things are important.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 01:08 PM »
Please for the love of god give us 0.5 increments with fuse in your version  :-* I was thinking 0.25 but perhaps that would make it too easy?

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 01:12 PM »
Please for the love of god give us 0.5 increments with fuse in your version  :-* I was thinking 0.25 but perhaps that would make it too easy?

Planned. I'm gonna take care of adequate customability.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 01:20 PM »

Are you single?  :-*  8)

Offline Xrayez

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 01:22 PM »

Are you single?  :-*  8)

Yes, I'm a single developer  :-*

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 01:30 PM »
I was gonna crack a joke there, but nah it's too gay lol.

I'll answer the OP later, off to bed.

Offline Hurz

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 04:35 AM »

Offline nino

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 10:40 AM »

huahuaha funny ae

i rly hauhuahuhaha'ed
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.

Offline Senator

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 11:32 AM »
In WMD the rope shoots out faster so you get faster taps without fingerroll. You can also activate parachute while flying so you can fly up and then chute anywhere on the map :D

edit: also shoot weapons while flying like here, kinda cool..
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 12:17 PM by Senator »

Offline Sensei

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 12:17 PM »
Lol. Again with wmd :)
WA have all that you mentioned, just turn on /ts in lobby.

So again, it makes it better in WA, cause those features are optional, not mandatory.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 12:19 PM by Sensei »

Offline Anubis

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 12:49 PM »

1: I like that it is mainly skill who is better at roping. I don't like that the KB has such a huge impact at very high level of roping. (including modding/remapping)
2: No idea.
3: See 1.
4: It's faster and feels more responsive.
5: The only important physics rope need to have are momentum and logical acceleration, Worms games after WWP don't have that.

Offline Godmax

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 08:49 PM »
I hate EVERYTHING about roping