Forums
April 19, 2024, 02:03 AM

Poll

Should they release Worms Armageddon v3.8 on Dec. 31st. even if it's unfinished?

Yes. ("even if it hurts the game" or "I don't believe Deadcode, it won't hurt the game to release it now")
16 (38.1%)
No. ("release it when the maintainers believe it won't hurt the game" or "release it at a future date when I don't believe it will hurt the game")
26 (61.9%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: February 27, 2018, 01:49 AM

Author Topic: Should they release Worms Armageddon v3.8 on Dec. 31st. even if it's unfinished?  (Read 21222 times)

Offline miketh2005

As you know, the maintainers set a deadline of the end of the year to release v.3.8. Of course it could have been sooner if the maintainers thought it was ready. Obviously they don't think it's ready, but they will release it anyway, unfinished, December 31st. (Plus however long T17's process takes.)

I'm creating this poll so that they can receive some input from the community before they makes this decision.

I will be voting "no" and here is my explanation for why I will be voting this way:

Deadcode has reasons for why v3.8 hasn't been released yet. To throw these reasons away in order to comply with some arbitrary deadline will hurt Worms Armageddon according to Deadcode's own logic. Here are his reasons:

if "almost everyone" agrees that it should have been released long ago (and therefore, presumably finished) then why hasn't it been released yet?

I'm sorry, I can't be specific. Basically, I feel it would hurt the long-term future of the game to release it at this point, with certain features unfinished. But whether or not I manage to finish these things, you will be getting a release by the end of the year.

After releasing 3.8, I want to go back to a much more frequent release schedule, like it used to be before 3.6.28.0.

Again, this argument doesn't follow. It'd be like Elon Musk saying he can't release the new Tesla because he believes people will die due to mechanical issues they still need to work on, but he will release it anyway on [Arbitrary Date Goes Here], even if these issues are not worked out.

People's lives should take precedence!

In the same way, if Deadcode believes W:A will be hurt by releasing 3.8 unfinished, then why release it anyway? (And if it will not be hurt, why wasn't it released sooner?)

I think it should be released as soon as the maintainers are confident W:A will not be hurt by the release; no sooner or later, and not by some arbitrary deadline.

We've already waited this long; if I am to choose between hurting the game I love and getting a new update now vs. waiting longer and giving this game the best chance at success, I will choose the latter.

We might be able to make a more informed decision if we knew the specifics, but since that's not possible, I, for one, trust Deadcode and his reasoning above, as he knows the situation.

It seems like the maintainers feel like the community is forcing them to keep a promise they made. I don't think we would want that if if means hurting the game in the long run, but with this poll we can find out.

Offline GeneralEcchi

• Arr Pirate

• Sweden Sweden
  • ᔕᕮᕮK ᗩᑎᗪ ᗪᕮᔕTᖇOY !
    • View Profile
    • GenEcchi DA
Aren't that's what most of game company doing these days ? Releasing unfinished garbage fire ?

Offline XanKriegor

I agree with GeneralItchy, let at least one game be different  :D

Offline Urben

I found out by accident that the next version is coming soon. I assumed to wait another few years for an update so I am happy with everything that is closer than that.

Offline Sensei

Too many fresh members make threads and seem more interested in game and incoming update than any of old TUS thugs. But then again, why would anyone make aliases and talk about that?

Quite intriguing.

Offline Jengu

Just release it as a beta update. You can create a public beta branch through Steam. Link for those that want to know more.

Offline h3oCharles

another shitstorm inbound

Offline TheWalrus

There is quite simply no reason why this game should be still getting updates 17+ years after release.

Suspend your imminent need for 3.8 and let deadcode & cybershadow do as they will, they are a boon to this community, more than we deserve, quite frankly.

Don't poke the bear

No, there is nothing essential that needs fixing right now.
Here comes the snow

Offline Husk

it's simple, ofc not... why release something that isn't finished o_O

Offline Sensei

Voted it should be released. Not that I think game needs any major updates as it is, but the fact that most of competitive scene left few months ago without wish to return is kinda frightening.

That 3.8 unfinished update won't bring anything bad to W:A, but it could bring at least some of the forgotten players to come back.. Maybe 1 game, maybe 1 week, maybe 1 month, not important. Important thing is to get that ppl back before the point of no return...

And if you tell someone he'll need to wait another few months/years for next update, I'm afraid that will be the end.

Maybe it's completely wrong way of thinking, but that's how I feel.

Offline Husk

nah sens i understand ur point

Offline CyberShadow

• W:A maintainer

• Moldova Moldova
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
*looks at poll results*

Well, it's settled. Update delayed until December 31, 2022. Pack it up, boys! I'm sure all 7 people still playing W:A by then will find the wait worthwhile.

the maintainers are confident W:A will not be hurt by the release

No. The entire idea that an "unfinished" release of a W:A update will "hurt" the game or community and is worth delaying the update indefinitely is Deadcode's and Deadcode's alone. Nobody else (who knows what this is exactly about) shares that opinion.

There is a reason why I practically stopped working on the game itself a long time ago.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 04:26 PM by CyberShadow »

Offline miketh2005

*looks at poll results*

Well, it's settled. Update delayed until December 31, 2022. Pack it up, boys! I'm sure all 7 people still playing W:A by then will find the wait worthwhile.

the maintainers are confident W:A will not be hurt by the release

No. The entire idea that an "unfinished" release of a W:A update will "hurt" the game or community and is worth delaying the update indefinitely is Deadcode's and Deadcode's alone. Nobody else (who knows what this is exactly about) shares that opinion.

There is a reason why I practically stopped working on the game itself a long time ago.

I had a feeling it might be something like that. Will you continue working on the game when 3.8 is released? If so, I change my mind, unless Deadcode wants to come clean for why he thinks it will hurt the game to release now, since no one seems to know or understand why he doesn't want to share why.

Offline h3oCharles

at least fix the lag on WormNET plz