Forums
March 28, 2024, 01:39 PM

Poll

Should they release Worms Armageddon v3.8 on Dec. 31st. even if it's unfinished?

Yes. ("even if it hurts the game" or "I don't believe Deadcode, it won't hurt the game to release it now")
16 (38.1%)
No. ("release it when the maintainers believe it won't hurt the game" or "release it at a future date when I don't believe it will hurt the game")
26 (61.9%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: February 27, 2018, 01:49 AM

Author Topic: Should they release Worms Armageddon v3.8 on Dec. 31st. even if it's unfinished?  (Read 21009 times)

Online Godmax

Hehe there is no update and there never will be. It seems impossible to implement dc continue functions otherwise they wouldve implemented the shit decades ago. Nothing will come ever. But its no prob Worms is still working.

Offline skunk3

Hopefully the game is getting updated today because nobody can host anything on WormNET right now. HB is down and even people who have their ports forwarded can't host. It's a chatroom for now lol.

[edit] Some hosting is back now.

Offline Urben

HB was down some days ago too, but only for half an hour.

Offline Sensei

Any news? CS, DC?
Is 3.8 happening anytime soon or it's postponed to indefinite date?

Offline Rabbzz

My guess is Team17 can’t be contacted

Offline Sensei

Oh, there's a way to contact them.

Let's all buy wmd at same time and refund it immediately.
That should send them a msg..

Offline Thewolensheep

• The MEGA retard.

• United States United States
  • A f@$!%$! loser.
    • View Profile
Creates soundbanks and other s!@t.

Offline Rabbzz

Oh, there's a way to contact them.

Let's all buy wmd at same time and refund it immediately.
That should send them a msg..

Ooo I like this idea a lot  ;D

Offline XanKriegor

Can we do it many times a day?  ;D

Offline h3oCharles

Can we get a lock on this thread, please?

Offline IT_IS_ME1987

Will you continue working on the game when 3.8 is released?
Yes, of course.

It is really demotivating to implement a feature or even bugfix, then see it waste away for years in a row in secret alpha builds that only a few people see.

We are in agreement, though, that we need to get back to releasing updates frequently. Hopefully this can become reality instead of another "when it's done" deadlock :)

at least fix the lag on WormNET plz
Could you please be more specific?

If something is buggy due to not being properly tested, yes, I can see the community leaving or being split between versions, but just make sure it's not buggy, eh?
Bugs (potential or known) are not what is holding the release back.

I recommend you
I recommend to not offer unsolicited advice, especially when you have access to less information on the subject than the party you're offering it to :)

What are these 3.8 features people are eagerly waiting for?
Check the support forums (esp. on Steam). Almost every thread is an actionable thing that could be fixed or improved. The worst part, though, is that many of them have been fixed years ago, just waiting to be released.

Devs should work on resuming the dropped game,
Yeah, however it turns out it's a really hard problem.

Then Again, Worms Armageddon 4.0 is probably using up all that valuable time, and that time could've been spent on the short-term 3.8.
Right now nobody is working on 4.0 stuff.

What is it then, are we getting update in January or it's postponed?
We've contacted Team17, and are using the time to continue working on the game.

Also, if there's stuff he's been doing more recently that I simply do not know about, that is very possible.
Lately, the division of labour has been mostly as follows:
  • Deadcode works on the game itself (code that ends up in WA.exe)
  • I work on everything else, i.e.:
    • Maintaining WormNET services, i.e. WormNAT2, HostingBuddy, SheriffBot
    • Maintaining the servers the above run on
    • WormNET moderation
    • Development tools (building, releasing, localization, documentation)
    • Development infrastructure (bug tracking, communication, source code repository)
    • Cheat countermeasures
    • Communication with Team17
    • Communication with the community, apparently
    • Setting arbitrary deadlines :)
    Of course, any of the things above are smaller than working the game itself. I might be wrong, but by my very rough estimate, the total amount of time we spend on W:A-related tasks lately ends up about the same.
This division occurred mainly by us doing the things we're better at. Deadcode has been working on the game's code since about 2002, and knows it inside and out. My experience is less focused and more widespread, which is why my time is better spent on all the support tooling.

Currently I'm working on an internal tool that will make it much easier for us to document and localize the changelog, at Deadcode's suggestion. This tool has an open-source component, you can follow its development here: https://github.com/CyberShadow/rtf2any/commits/master
Will be in W:A 40 full Unicode support?
IT'S ME. Never trust no one!

Offline Rabbzz

Lets worry about 3.8 before we start talking about 4.0.

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
Any news? Team17 is still dragging their feet approving the update?

Offline Sensei

Devs provided us with bit of excitement and then gone silent for months.
Feels like DayZ :D

Offline Crowe

Haha, I'm so curious about this update. It's been five years since the last one, and recently I started playing with some old friends. Wish the game didn't appear on Steam, cos T17 seems to take their time reviewing the update or whatever...