Forums
March 29, 2024, 01:11 AM

Author Topic: Worms Tool Assisted offer an advantage? Alternatives to make it public?  (Read 4794 times)

Offline Leoric

For my part, It would be great idea to have limited TA access. The most valuable use I would find for it, is the ability to replay my mistakes in previous games and see if I could get them done right.

But what TA stuff needs to be implemented to worms online games, would be the opportunity to continue game from how it was, after disconnection.

Offline Memox

This has been my wormy dream since Dario and Komito mentioned it. I would love to use it to improve myself in the game, with the sole contraindication that it could vastly fuel my addiction. Seriously, interacting with a replay? That's f@#!ing awesome. And it's not likely that that can be abused, Deadcode just need to implement some kind of watermark in-game saying: "Hey, this dude is taking control of a replay. If he pulls off something great, you've been warned!"
\\\ My websites ///

My Worms Armageddon Review (and other blog posts about gaming)
The Autism-O-Meter

My Worms Videos
YouTube playlist

My (other) Reviews Hub
Steam Curator page

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
This has been my wormy dream since Dario and Komito mentioned it. I would love to use it to improve myself in the game, with the sole contraindication that it could vastly fuel my addiction. Seriously, interacting with a replay? That's f@#!ing awesome. And it's not likely that that can be abused, Deadcode just need to implement some kind of watermark in-game saying: "Hey, this dude is taking control of a replay. If he pulls off something great, you've been warned!"

Hi, Memox! Did you ask Deadcode if he would give it to you? Regarding the replays generated by TA, afaik, they are encrypted. So I don't understand how anyone could forge and publish a replay made with TA.

"The tool-assisted versions of W:A save replays in an encrypted format, which is playable only with the tool-assisted version. Only Deadcode can decrypt them, thus making them playable with normal versions of W:A." https://worms2d.info/Replay_file#Security
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 03:18 PM by Albus »

Offline Memox

Hi, Memox! Did you ask Deadcode if he would give it to you? Regarding the replays generated by TA, afaik, they are encrypted. So I don't understand how anyone could forge and publish a replay made with TA.

I didn't, but if he didn't give it to you, a veteran, I highly doubt he would think about me first. Let's just hope he releases it sooner or later as a limited edition, maybe in an official patch. It's harmless, if well implemented, I think... Everybody would benefit from a TA, let alone the potential for those tournaments where you need to restore a game. There are a multifarious of purposes with this tool and it would suck if only a selected few benefitted from it.
\\\ My websites ///

My Worms Armageddon Review (and other blog posts about gaming)
The Autism-O-Meter

My Worms Videos
YouTube playlist

My (other) Reviews Hub
Steam Curator page

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
Let's just hope he releases it sooner or later as a limited edition, maybe in an official patch. It's harmless, if well implemented, I think... Everybody would benefit from a TA, let alone the potential for those tournaments where you need to restore a game. There are a multifarious of purposes with this tool and it would suck if only a selected few benefitted from it.

I think the same. I don't know much about TA, but if it has some interesting features already complete and could be added to the game, that would be great.
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
I think the same. I don't know much about TA, but if it has some interesting features already complete and could be added to the game, that would be great.

I was informed that the program has a manual, which lists all the features. I asked to have access to this manual. If anyone who has the TA and wants to share the manual, it would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 10:49 AM by Albus »

Offline StepS

The problem with TA is that it's been stuck in a loop of not getting the correct design implemented from the start.
Originally, TA was supposed to be public and available for all, but the publication has been delayed because Deadcode's plan was to make encrypted TA replays switch places with public replays. So you could freely alter the contents of the decrypted replay for TA purposes, but altering regular replays would not be possible. This was the plan but currently we're still stuck in a state where this format change has not happened, and therefore the build has not been made publicly available.
I've seen a new implementation of tool-assisted recently. The problem is that it suffers from the same design problem, where TA replays are encrypted, when it should be the other way around. The only solution to that unfortunately is waiting for proper support for the new format(s) in the base game.
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline nizikawa

« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 05:24 AM by nizikawa »

Offline Albus

• Brazil Brazil
    • View Profile
The problem with TA is that it's been stuck in a loop of not getting the correct design implemented from the start.
Originally, TA was supposed to be public and available for all, but the publication has been delayed because Deadcode's plan was to make encrypted TA replays switch places with public replays. So you could freely alter the contents of the decrypted replay for TA purposes, but altering regular replays would not be possible. This was the plan but currently we're still stuck in a state where this format change has not happened, and therefore the build has not been made publicly available.
I've seen a new implementation of tool-assisted recently. The problem is that it suffers from the same design problem, where TA replays are encrypted, when it should be the other way around. The only solution to that unfortunately is waiting for proper support for the new format(s) in the base game.

Thank you very much for the explanation, StepS.

I am working on a wormkit module that implements some aspects of TA build.
Here is an example replay created with it: https://www.tus-wa.com/maps/map-1976/msg279988/#msg279988
And a video of it in action: https://files.catbox.moe/1aqbjz.webm

Don't worry - if it ever gets a public release, I will make sure that it is impossible to use it for cheating. The module will require a special modified WA.exe with network capabilities removed. The created replays will announce that they are using TA and will lack state checksums. The module will be closed source and the dll binary will encrypted to prevent reverse engineering.

I had already been informed of your initiative. I, and all players who do not have and wish to have TA, are very grateful for your initiative.

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
I am working on a wormkit module that implements some aspects of TA build.
Here is an example replay created with it: https://www.tus-wa.com/maps/map-1976/msg279988/#msg279988
And a video of it in action: https://files.catbox.moe/1aqbjz.webm

Don't worry - if it ever gets a public release, I will make sure that it is impossible to use it for cheating. The module will require a special modified WA.exe with network capabilities removed. The created replays will announce that they are using TA and will lack state checksums. The module will be closed source and the dll binary will encrypted to prevent reverse engineering.
This is great, keep up the good work!