Forums
March 29, 2024, 12:40 PM

Poll

Could Real Time overshadow turn based game modes on Worms Armageddon?

Yes
2 (4.9%)
No
23 (56.1%)
Only Race Games
16 (39%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: The beginning of the end?  (Read 3862 times)

Offline Kradie

The beginning of the end?
« on: January 28, 2022, 07:46 PM »
I am just curious to know what you think about this.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline TheWalrus

Re: The beginning of the end?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 09:09 PM »
I am just curious to know what you think about this.
Kradie, plz donate to TU$ for extra poll options

Offline Kradie

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 10:15 PM »
I currently voted ''Only Race Games''. Why? Well wkRealtime has proven to be hell a fun, and everybody to my knowledge seem to be moving away from the classic turn based rope races that we all grew up to love. Real Time could also make it easier for beginners and less experienced people to get into roping too. I would Imagine that it could be difficult for new players to adjust to turn based rope races though, and that they could see them as Inferior. 30 seconds turn time won't cut it because if you fail that's it, and if you simply rope too slow, it is over. At least there's a chance in real time, and for continuous retries and rapid Improvements.

30 seconds seem like the hardcore alternative now. Look ahead, observe the path you are going to cross, and do your best, this is now gone. What more is the time to connect to other players through chat. If you don't have discord or other communication apps you are basically left out.

Have you tried real time yet TheWalrus?

Offline Mega`Adnan

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 06:43 AM »
Real time racing feels more exhausting to me, because every time I play real time racing, everyone just go super fast and I get left behind.
I think I enjoy turn-based racing more than real time.

Adnan, you are Mega, not Micro and not even faint  :D So fight till the end please.

Offline KinslayeR

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 06:53 AM »

Offline Lupastic

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 10:39 AM »
this is probably the first poll on this site that shows the actual truth so far in the results rofl ;D

Yes0 (0%)No
7 (70%)Only Race Games
3 (30%)

Offline Echiko

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2022, 10:39 AM »
I think it is a great idea, but I don't think standard turned based games should be left behind.
If maybe people are in a hurry and want a fast paced game, maybe this one is for them. But for me, slow and noob, I still prefer the turn based one.

One of the most interesting thing in turns is to see what your opponent is doing, how he does this and that, with the right time and without thinking to tap faster to arrive first. Moreover it is nice when people spectate your fail AND your curse! It is after all show time! :P

I think RT is an amazing job and a great innovation, but normal turn based racing will always be fun. :)
This user cannot be contacted through PMs.

Offline Monata

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2022, 03:04 PM »
I don't see any reason to play big rope races without wkRealTime anymore but it's not like we're going to stop playing intermediate and other shooty shooty schemes.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2022, 04:07 PM »
As much as I appreciate the real time module by nizikawa, I don't think this really has a shot in W:A and I absolutely love to be proven wrong.

We are located in various parts of the world and the latency/ping is a real issue. From where I am living, even the AAA real-time games like FPS games or EA sports suffer so badly from it and their lag compensation algorithm is slim to none. This has made me very skeptical towards any real-time games. W:A is a pixel-perfect game and I don't think real-time could go any further than racing schemes but let me repeat myself: I absolutely love to be proven wrong.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 07:04 PM by MonkeyIsland »
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Zalo the moler

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2022, 08:50 PM »
As much as I appreciate the real time module by nizikawa, I don't think this really has a shot in W:A and I absolutely love to be proven wrong.

We are located in various parts of the world and the latency/ping is a real issue. From where I am living, even the AAA real-time games like FPS games or EA sports suffer so badly from it and their lag compensation algorithm is slim to none. This has made me very skeptical towards any real-time games. W:A is a pixel-perfect game and I don't think real-time could go any further than racing schemes but let me repeat myself: I absolutely love to be proven wrong.

You are absolutely correct, MonkeyIsland

Races in RealTime are mostly "everyone, look at me" spectacles. There is nearly zero interaction between swingers, perhaps slightly more interaction in Jetpack race. You might say "Hey, Zalo, just because you are so far behind it doesn't mean that there is zero interaction, you just suck". Well, go to your chatbox and tell me how many exchanges there are during the game. Tell me if your performance, there in the race, is a direct response to your opponent.

The reason why Breakdance competitions have always one competitor dance at a time, is because one, when intimidated, he/she knows that he/she needs to concentrate, think things through and perhaps pull off a hard trick in exchange.

I even ​had some Zar roper close the game upon reaching #1 place, because he didn't care to see who will be #2, #3, #4 we just stopped existing to him and he forgot about us :P I realised that I have been travelling through the map all this time, all by myself. I could have as well just played (Offline) match with 1 team  :D

The biggest, most positive diffence I saw in Bungee Race (real time), which is slow paced in its original form, and during the live match you have many funny exchanges on the chatbox. We had a blast playing for a while like this with a few people.

WkRealTime IS revolutionary, and so is Worms 3D, and so is Worms Rumble...

Spoiler! View
and so is Mole Shopper...

It being fantastic, I still see as a fresh separate category, rather than replacement for everything that we have known.

Offline KinslayeR

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2022, 09:15 PM »
Masta is gorilla, but his flying egg max speed is 300 km/h,  and mine is 56 km/h

Maybe it is ice cream internet or ice cream computer, I dont know,  but all I know this crazy thing is fun, but not really good for real gorilla competitions

Offline Kradie

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2022, 09:24 PM »

Races in RealTime are mostly "everyone, look at me" spectacles. There is nearly zero interaction between swingers, perhaps slightly more interaction in Jetpack race. You might say "Hey, Zalo, just because you are so far behind it doesn't mean that there is zero interaction, you just suck". Well, go to your chatbox and tell me how many exchanges there are during the game. Tell me if your performance, there in the race, is a direct response to your opponent.

I even ​had some Zar roper close the game upon reaching #1 place, because he didn't care to see who will be #2, #3, #4 we just stopped existing to him and he forgot about us :P I realised that I have been travelling through the map all this time, all by myself. I could have as well just played (Offline) match with 1 team  :D

If a player is far behind like a minute or more in a real time race game, it only stands to reason to host again Immediately. It is true that is ''Respectful'' to wait, but not if the person is far behind. I also had to stop racing and accept the fact that I shouldn't keep people waiting. That's just how it is. IT is not about the ''more experienced players'' dueling and flexing to each other though. This might develop resentment to other players and understandably so, but I ask you to remember that it is about fun, interaction, and Improvements. IF you are last, you can choose to continue to Improve. You are welcome to come back, and I don't care for people's skill anyway.

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2022, 11:05 PM »
>Could Real Time overshadow turn based game modes on Worms Armageddon?

no, because WA, still is, at heart, a turn-based strategy game. You only might think of that because it's a new revelation since god knows how long before PX's RealTime

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2022, 12:03 AM »
I didn't try the module yet, I'm happy to see people are having fun with this and playing more after the release of this premature version. This is something that people are asking for a long time, I am in a WhatsApp group of W2 Roper and they talk about real time worms frequently, years of imagining the possibilities. I always like any new scheme possibility and its nice to see that people already made schemes for this module.

I think this module will just make the gameplay of "unruled" races better, it will not substitute the turn based games, because they are still possible to play. I really hope races shine and I hope battle schemes become possible to play in real time as well (very specific schemes only probably).

However I do think this game was made for playing between turns and that's something nice when you can play with people on the other side of the planet without worrying about the ping. It is sad to play only against your own country like I used to do playing LoL.

Not all races will work well in real time, Board Game surely will be very hard to play in Real Time, Boom for Weapons will need Real Time limited turns just like Checkpoint Rope Race, due to the Low Gravity that cannot be used for more than the turn time. Also, Boom for Weapons would need someone to watch the replay and see if someone cheated or made an invalid move, using a weapon on the wrong place, etc.

I would like to try Driver with x1 Baseball Bat in Real Time.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 12:07 AM by FoxHound »
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Offline Anubis

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2022, 10:14 AM »

Real-time roping/racing is not as satisfying, because when I take my turn I want others to appreciate my roping the same way I wanna watch others rope and see their skills. Turn-Based roping has more meaning to me than any real-time ever would be able to.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 10:17 AM by Anubis »