Forums
April 19, 2024, 11:06 PM

Poll

Could Real Time overshadow turn based game modes on Worms Armageddon?

Yes
2 (4.9%)
No
23 (56.1%)
Only Race Games
16 (39%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: The beginning of the end?  (Read 3935 times)

Offline vesuvio

Re: The beginning of the end?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2022, 04:19 PM »
realtime rr is laggy so iam not able to really do my best turns on the map.
i rly like the big rr challenges where players send their replay with best time rekord. i also think real skill you get through playen that and not realtime rr its just to laggy and u wont see your opponents turns
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 04:20 PM by vesuvio »

Offline Sensei

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2022, 04:24 PM »
We are located in various parts of the world and the latency/ping is a real issue.

I also thought this. Before we were in realtime game week ago.
I was hosting jetpack race (Croatia). In the game there were 5 more people from: Brazil, USA, Scotland, Greece, Bulgaria.

We agreed to start jetpacking when timer hits 10 seconds.
We all started at the same time. No issues for anyone regarding latency/ping or lag during the game.
I don't know how nizikawa does the stuff he does, but we all should be grateful he does it.

Module is still in early phase of development and it's already shown as a true game changer.
In a few months, don't think anyone would be doing turn based racing schemes. It just doesn't make sense anymore.
Important thing now is to host as many realtime games as we can with as many players we can get. Faster we test it and report all bugs and glitches, faster we'll get an updates and come closer to a finished product.
New era, I tell you!

Offline Echiko

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2022, 06:15 PM »

Real-time roping/racing is not as satisfying, because when I take my turn I want others to appreciate my roping the same way I wanna watch others rope and see their skills. Turn-Based roping has more meaning to me than any real-time ever would be able to.

Yes, exactly what I said and what I think. and I also say that sometimes I had moments where I was miraculously leading  :D, then my worm suddenly stopped to let other worms go on and surpass me. This was frustrating but funny at the same moment. (I even thought 'ok, there is a conspiracy here on wormnet so I will never win anything"  :P  :D )
I may suggest after some games to not have the room full (the more stuff you have to download, the more lag there would be) and maybe players should also think about lagging problems due to location.

The idea is good, but define it as the beginning of the end is a bit exaggerating imho. I like more the fact that I can sit here and have a turn based big rope race and observe the more experienced players do their best to show not only speed but also style. This shouldn't be put aside according to me. Even the eye wants his part!  ;) Sometimes this summer I remember that in some games we left the racing part behind in favour of trying some cool stuff on the rope and impress the other players, experimenting, gaining skills ... This was fun and interesting.  :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 06:22 PM by Echiko »
This user cannot be contacted through PMs.

Offline Lupastic

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2022, 06:25 PM »
Worms Armageddon is, was, and always will be a turn-based strategy game ^^ This applies for the battle-themed schemes, and to the racing schemes as well. As terrible idea was the Wkwormorder shit module, the same terrible idea is this realtime module is. People who enjoy playing it, feel free to do so.

"Well wkRealtime has proven to be hell a fun, and everybody to my knowledge seem to be moving away from the classic turn based rope races that we all grew up to love."

? ??? ??? ???

And saying that this will take over the game is ridiculous :D Look at the poll. It's laggy, buggy, doesn't make sense, looks terrible, unplayable, and it's not what WA is about. I could only see a total of 12-14 players playing it on a daily base, they play it all day long. I have 6 fellow hungarian friends on wormnet, who were being messaged VERY FREQUENTLY by certain noob retards to visit a website link of niszikava, and download this module. ;D They simply don't care about it, as 95% of the other players won't care about this module either. (:
Other than these 12-14 players, these group of friends who enjoy hosting this module all day long, no one will ever play this probably. :) And people don't give a damn to download it. And it's the better. The infinite spamming to advertise this noob stuff on wormnet is uncomfortable though. There are 2 people "Boka" and "smallppl" who are messaging every single user on wormnet, literally trying to get everyone to download it on the AG public chats and private messages. These 2 people are obviously renicks/alias new nicknames of other players from a discord server. They were pretty annoying sometimes. :D

Another bad example is that most newbie players who just want to enjoy this game, they join these realtime hosts on wormnet, only to be kicked out immediately, because they never visit discord, nor any other site to download any file as a plus to their Worms folder. This is not a good start for them, and a first experience to play WA online :)

For me, the only possible occasion I can imagine to play this gamemode if it gets added to HostingBuddy automatically as an expansion or something, and I can just load it with a command to try it out. It would be good for like a.. 15 minutes fooling arond with it, as Echiko said it now. But I hope this shall not happen in the future. :D

Game needs more players, a registration system and more advertising, so that everyone who played this GOG game in their childhood can come back now as an adult to play it online! A bigger community :-* Lots of newbies are coming from Steam!

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2022, 06:50 PM »
Lupastic, if you really enjoy the different schemes of this game, you should know that many of these schemes wouldn't exist without modules and updates. RubberWorm is a module that a guy like Nizikawa made and some others later contributed to it and now it is officially inside the game. Many people didn't like mods and now they have to accept that a mod was implemented and that some Rubber schemes like Kaos are being played on WormNET frequently.

You shouldn't disencourage Nizikawa on his work, because he has made a lot for this community no matter if you like his work or not. His job already encouraged people to create more Terrains and stuff for the game. And probably made people play more. I don't know why so much hate on your words. WormOrder module was already updated to make people who were against the idea calm down, because now you will know if someone is using it or not.

The game needs updates, I agree that the hosting issue is the main problem, but if this was something easy to solve this would be already solved, because no body likes to see people asking how to host many times per day and newbies giving up the game because they cannot host. We do need more players, but if the hosting issue is not possible to solve, at least other updates will make people play more. Because most people get bored of playing a game that doesn't change. I don't understand how people still keep playing the same old schemes and say that the game doesn't need updates, but at least they love the game to this point and keep the activity of the game. You can keep the activity without being against the progress.
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Offline King-Gizzard

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2022, 06:57 PM »
I see the module as a fun new way to play some schemes and if it doesn't tickle your pickle, there's the turn-based option.  It's always great to see new innovations like this.  But I see MonkeyIsland's point on real-time for schemes where land is destroyed or worms interact.  The game state has to be deterministic on all machines down to the pixel.  With it being peer-to-peer, no machine holds the authoritative game state so I imagine the game speed would have to follow the laggiest player? I'd love to see it implemented though :)

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2022, 07:27 PM »
@Lupastic, Calm down maybe? This is just another flavor to W:A. Why not? The old options are pretty much still there and available. There are still players who don't like to rope. W:A has survived because of these innovations. Every player can find some interesting idea in it. You don't have to like every aspect of the game.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Edoardo Moretti

• Italy Italy
  • Wacky Asperger and creator of War'n'Guns.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2022, 07:58 PM »
@Lupastic, Calm down maybe? This is just another flavor to W:A. Why not? The old options are pretty much still there and available. There are still players who don't like to rope. W:A has survived because of these innovations. Every player can find some interesting idea in it. You don't have to like every aspect of the game.
MonkeyIsland has right! There's no need to went full panic, you're not forced to like every aspect of the game.
It's just an experimental new way to play Rope Race and Jetpack Race, or even Parachute Race and Wascar.
All of the turn-based mods are still available, after all Worms is originally a turn-based tactic.

And honestly I liked the real time option/module, it could make a WA mode based on Worms Rumble but better.

Offline Sensei

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2022, 08:08 PM »
@Lupastic, Calm down maybe?

This one's unique, MI, don't even try to reach out.

After enjoying 20 years of updates brought to us by DC, numerous modules and programs made by community.. After daily usage of all of these modern upgrades, there's a guy (and probably few other "important" individuals) who's saying realtime module is a terrible idea!?
Module that changed the game upside down, while still giving people option to choose how they want to play it!

Terrible idea? Enlighten us, Lupastic? We all wanna hear logical explanation to this.

(see below)

« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 08:16 PM by Sensei »

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Offline Sbaffo

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2022, 10:14 AM »
Quote from: Lupastic
Gne gne gne and other bullshits

Where’s the smite button

Offline xnd

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2022, 11:27 AM »
That doesn't make any sense. Realtime has been played for many years.  Any new idea that generates engagement should be encouraged. The turn-based game will not cease to exist as well as the challenges in which we send replays. Imagine, at the time there was only roper and other rope schemes started to be created, if players spoke "look at this shit" what would happen.
We have to be grateful for this kind of initiative.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2022, 01:15 AM »
Personally, as a huge fan of Big RR I am not a fan of the realtime option. It would be far too chaotic and distracting for me. I like having time between turns to chat or do whatever. There's some custom scheme ideas I can think of that would benefit from realtime, but RR definitely wouldn't IMO. It would be an amusing novelty to try out a couple of times and then never again.