Forums
April 19, 2024, 07:41 PM

Author Topic: Tool Assisted Speedruns by Dcrew  (Read 4392 times)

Offline Anubis

Re: Tool Assisted Speedruns by Dcrew
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 01:39 PM »
Tool assist is very interesting, to see the things possible, it's pretty geeky too, but it doesn't look nice at all...

Honestly, i've still yet to see a tool assisted replay that impresses me with stylish roping, with a smooth flow.

There are way too many stupid kicks/pumps/outlaws which just ruin it :/

Any chance you could do some with nice roping instead of fast roping? I'd love to see that :)

Most, if not all, Tool assisted replays are done by people that have not a very high sense of roping. Meaning, they can't rope themselves at a high level. If someone that loves and embraces warming would have their tools it would look stunning because that individual knows what good looking roping looks like without making it feel totally artificial and robotic.

Offline rUNaW4y

• “Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear”

• Italy Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 01:43 PM »
Agree, even if TAS could be an intersting way in order to get details about the game's dynamics.

Offline TOMT

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2016, 02:00 PM »
Nice! I feel I'm getting warmed just by watching this, haha! :)

Is there a module that can show the position and speed of the worm while you make the run?

I remember having a module like that in Super Mario World while TAS'ing, only like that could complete levels at 100% maximum speed, and I bet it's even more important in a game like this! :D

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2016, 03:04 PM »
Can someone write a negative comment on these videos just to check if its the same Dcrew from a few years back? That could make for one hell of a topic to fap to after work, coz shoes didnt really work out that well.
<Ramone> we're just nicknames
<Ramone> isn't that sad..

<Johnny`> !fart
* Johnny` has farted out 0 Scoville units.
<Johnny`> Sonova

My W:A related channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/HighCostage

Offline dcrew

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2016, 06:22 PM »
Let's do a battle?
Nice stuff btw.

Thanks and sure thing, most of the day I'm on the Worms IRC, though I'm in GMT time zone and don't generally reply until late noon when I'm at home.

Tool assist is very interesting, to see the things possible, it's pretty geeky too, but it doesn't look nice at all...

Honestly, i've still yet to see a tool assisted replay that impresses me with stylish roping, with a smooth flow.

Any chance you could do some with nice roping instead of fast roping? I'd love to see that :)

I'll give it a shot, though we do those things to gain the best speed we can that's all. Contact me on the Worms IRC and I'll send you a video when I get 'round to it.

Nice! I feel I'm getting warmed just by watching this, haha! :)

Is there a module that can show the position and speed of the worm while you make the run?

I remember having a module like that in Super Mario World while TAS'ing, only like that could complete levels at 100% maximum speed, and I bet it's even more important in a game like this! :D

Glad you enjoyed it, and there sure is, provided by the Tool, I only use it during the process so it can help me

Thanks everybody else too! :)

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2016, 06:25 PM »
Can someone write a negative comment on these videos just to check if its the same Dcrew from a few years back? That could make for one hell of a topic to fap to after work, coz shoes didnt really work out that well.
its a different dcrew from UK ofc

Offline Husk

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2016, 07:50 PM »
Sorry for the bad english, it isn't my native language.

dcrew by this: "People who don't natively speak english, again.. should say: "Sorry for the bad english, it isn't my native language."

u mean I need to include that f@#!ing sentence in every post I make? or does sending u a PM explaining the reason be enough?

« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 07:58 PM by Husk »

Offline dcrew

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2016, 09:24 PM »
Sorry for the bad english, it isn't my native language.

dcrew by this: "People who don't natively speak english, again.. should say: "Sorry for the bad english, it isn't my native language."

u mean I need to include that f@#!ing sentence in every post I make? or does sending u a PM explaining the reason be enough?

I don't recall ever saying that :L

4 more replay (videos) added!

Edit: Updated AZ01 RR #22, redubbed for a better time
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 12:29 AM by dcrew »

Offline j0e

• Canada Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 06:00 AM »
Nice videos dcrew. I TAS'd humRR1 once.. probably my favorite .bit RR map (which I made). Made it to the end and back in under 30 seconds. Lost the replay, and the single step program though haha. Your replay is better anyway. That bigrr one with invisible walls is crazy.

Offline dcrew

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2016, 08:10 AM »
Nice videos dcrew. I TAS'd humRR1 once.. probably my favorite .bit RR map (which I made). Made it to the end and back in under 30 seconds. Lost the replay, and the single step program though haha. Your replay is better anyway. That bigrr one with invisible walls is crazy.

Thanks, I've actually just updated my record for that (video updated), got it down to 12.64 sec from 12.94 sec.

Edit: Just for you, start to finish to start in 25.72 sec:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 08:55 AM by dcrew »

Offline StepS

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2016, 01:09 PM »
Most, if not all, Tool assisted replays are done by people that have not a very high sense of roping. Meaning, they can't rope themselves at a high level. If someone that loves and embraces warming would have their tools it would look stunning because that individual knows what good looking roping looks like without making it feel totally artificial and robotic.
For me personally, it's the other way around. While I already had a solid base of roping skills when I started tool-assisting back in 2014, doing these runs has changed my style of everyday roping. In every game that involves rope, I now instinctively try to perform the most optimal tricks possible in a given situation. It has also augmented my sensing of the game's environment, I now take much more details into account whenever I press a button on the keyboard.
At the same time I disagree that a personal roping skill level would result in a better TA output. It is simply not possible to preserve speed while trying to adjust the style to be as close to human as possible (without getting at least a 20% decrease in the time result of the run). Remember, these are *speed* runs... With a primary goal to establish records and beat others' records. You would see what I mean if the TA build was public right now.

To keep both, specially crafted maps would be needed. Levels built specifically with TA in mind, where a combination of speed and style are achievable. That could require a lot of thinking and planning, to engineer the most suitable map. Battle Race? Piece of cake compared to this.

Like I've already said above, this doesn't fall within the definition of "speed" runs. Doing this on regular small RR maps would provide little feedback.
However, some ideas can be used with Big RR-like maps, especially with unlocked or slightly unlocked speed limits (i.e. TestStuff). Back in 2014 I made a test run on a Big RR map that utilizes the indian rope feature. It is not focused on either style or speed, so is not very stylish, but should still catch your attention at some parts.

BTW, this isn't the first time that indian-rope is used with TA. Some people might remember Wyv's video from 9 years ago that utilized this. If you haven't already, you should check it out.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 01:32 PM by StepS »
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2016, 02:08 PM »
For me personally, it's the other way around. While I already had a solid base of roping skills when I started tool-assisting back in 2014, doing these runs has changed my style of everyday roping. In every game that involves rope, I now instinctively try to perform the most optimal tricks possible in a given situation. It has also augmented my sensing of the game's environment, I now take much more details into account whenever I press a button on the keyboard.

Unfair advantage, freedom for TA! ::)

Offline Anubis

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2016, 03:04 PM »

I don't actually get the fuss about it being kept private. Since you can't use it online anyway there's no risk.

Offline biscuits

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2016, 03:27 PM »

I don't actually get the fuss about it being kept private. Since you can't use it online anyway there's no risk.

I totally agree with Anubis. If it can't be used online, why is it so private? What's the point? Why can't everyone use it and have fun offline? Makes me think that it actually does work online, which is shady and pretty lame.

good game W:A Steam reviews

courtesy of "gloom" for allowing me to use this signature, it's the best ;)

Offline DaisyJ

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2016, 03:41 PM »
Quote from: biscuits

I totally agree with Anubis. If it can't be used online, why is it so private? What's the point? Why can't everyone use it and have fun offline? Makes me think that it actually does work online, which is shady and pretty lame.

I can confirm such a way to do it online exists.  However it greatly lags the game during your turn so there is no way you wouldn't notice somebody using it.