Forums
March 29, 2024, 09:27 AM

Author Topic: Update your WormNAT2!  (Read 8837 times)

Offline CyberShadow

• W:A maintainer

• Moldova Moldova
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
Update your WormNAT2!
« on: September 20, 2015, 10:44 PM »
Hi wkWormNAT2 users,

Old versions of WormNAT2 have a bug which causes random desyncs/disconnects.

This can happen even when you're not hosting!

This is fixed in the latest version (v2.3). If you're using WormNAT2 (i.e. you have wkWormNAT2.dll in your W:A directory and have loading WormKit modules enabled), please download the latest version:

http://worms.thecybershadow.net/wormkit/wkWormNAT2.zip

Just drop the two files in your W:A directory and overwrite the old ones.

As an added incentive to update, I decided to remove the nag message that showed up on start-up. You might occasionally get a reminder in the lobby instead.

Users of old versions will see a message in the lobby when hosting games. Be warned, old versions will stop working completely on January 1, 2016.

Snooper authors who added WormNAT2 functionality to their snoopers:

The official version of WormNAT2 now implements the snooper protocol used by Wheat Snooper, so you no longer have to ship custom versions of the DLL. Check the source code of WormNAT2 and Wheat Snooper for details. The gist is: open a control connection to the HostingProxy server by connecting to proxy.wormnet.net:9301, read a port number (16 bit LE integer). Host the game at proxy.wormnet.net:PORT. Run WA.exe with the parameters: /wkargs /wnat2 X-Y-Z, where X is your snooper's PID, Y is the socket handle to the HostingProxy connection, Z is an event handle. WormNAT2 will duplicate Y and Z into its own process, take over the control connection and call SetEvent(Z) to inform your snooper that the game is hosted and it can release its connection handle (Y).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 11:07 PM by CyberShadow »

Offline Hurz

Re: Update your WormNAT2!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 10:59 PM »
awesome, thanks :)

Offline Nivman

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 11:25 PM »
seems like its not working for me

Offline CyberShadow

• Moldova Moldova
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 11:27 PM »
Connectivity may be spotty for an hour while DNS changes propagate. Post here if any problems persist for longer than that.

Offline Nivman

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 11:31 PM »
it works now (=
thanks for the update

Offline Sensei

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 11:35 PM »
Didn't really understand what's this fixing at all, rarely had troubles with any kind of disconnections.
But ty Cyber, I updated :)

Offline Tomi

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 06:34 AM »
Is there any advantage of this? The old way was working well too. Am i right that now anyone have to have that dll to use wnat?

Offline CyberShadow

• Moldova Moldova
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 06:38 AM »
Is there any advantage of this? The old way was working well too. Am i right that now anyone have to have that dll to use wnat?
Not sure what you mean, but nothing changed in how you have to use WormNAT2.

Offline Tomi

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 04:00 PM »
ok, nvm..

Offline XV2

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 05:18 PM »
Hello

Files changed the same error

Offline Hurz

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 09:18 PM »

never experienced skipped packet desynchs? will be glad if this will be erased now.

Offline CyberShadow

• Moldova Moldova
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 10:16 PM »
Hello

Files changed the same error

Well, apparently they aren't changed then! Make sure your snooper isn't overwriting your wkWormNAT2.dll.

Another way to check is to rigth-click on the file, select Properties, and on the Details tab, the "Product version" field should say 2.3 (or higher).

Offline Sensei

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 12:01 AM »
Since I upgraded, WormKit started to acting weird. Icon is not even there anymore, like it got erased. Even snooper sending me some error messages before hosting the game.

Btw, 2/3 games I hosted disconected after aproximately 10 minutes. I'm hosting every night, and never had problems until today.

Basically, this update screwed me up somehow. Is it possible to downgrade on older version?
Ty.

Offline Hurz

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 12:20 AM »
i saved the old madchook and wormnat2 dlls just incase update wouldnt work, but so far its just fine.

Offline CyberShadow

• Moldova Moldova
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 02:22 AM »
Since I upgraded, WormKit started to acting weird. Icon is not even there anymore, like it got erased.

Which icon? Are you still using a version of W:A so old that it doesn't have built-in WormKit support? Either way I can't think of any reason that would be related. How did you install it?

Even snooper sending me some error messages before hosting the game.
Unfortunately I can't do anything about this.

The way snooper authors added WormNAT2 support was to modify the module's code and use my WormNAT2 server without my permission. I have not been happy about this, but I've let it slide because ultimately it's a net benefit to the community. However, what you are seeing is the consequence of their choices - I can't update things on my side without possibly breaking things for unofficial WormNAT2 clients. The snooper API is not something I came up with, I adapted something that was already out there, and even though it worked in our tests, it takes two parties to create a stable and working API.

Btw, 2/3 games I hosted disconected after aproximately 10 minutes. I'm hosting every night, and never had problems until today.
Can you post some replays?

Basically, this update screwed me up somehow. Is it possible to downgrade on older version?
Ty.
You can get the older version from here, but again, this version will stop working in January. It would be better to fix whatever problems you have with the new one.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 02:34 AM by CyberShadow »