Forums
April 19, 2024, 02:57 PM

Author Topic: WA is on life support  (Read 9651 times)

Online Sensei

Re: WA is on life support
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2022, 01:42 AM »
20+ years number of terrains was ~30. Now we have 60+ (?)

20+ years game was turn based. Now we have realtime feature.

And that's just 2 things from top of my mind that players did in last year. Not bad for a dead game. Activity is not the best, we all see that. But community is far from dying.
Skunk, these veterans stories.. Come on man. You've been saying same shit for a decade now. 90% of people you're wishing to come back were some stoned 16 yr olds, like you were back then. You had fun and at some point it stopped and life moved on. Stop glorifying them.

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2022, 05:05 PM »
Worms isn't dead, Mablak and ruffledbricks still breaking new ground on speedrunning:

People still creating content, great activity for a 22 year old game!

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2022, 01:01 PM »
im trying to get various tournament-oriented discord servers to host tourneys. this also means involving none of you nor most of TUS infrastructure (I will most likely use challonge), because I don't want to bring in elitism or ruin the fun with sweaty tryhards

if someone gets salty over the last sentence, this will prove the point
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 01:04 PM by h3oCharles »

Online Sensei

« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2022, 01:35 PM »
im trying to get various tournament-oriented discord servers to host tourneys. this also means involving none of you nor most of TUS infrastructure

And you came to TUS to post that  ::)

Offline iidoyila

« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2022, 02:22 PM »
"game is only random noobs" and i'm sure you're being so nice to them and encouraginh them to learn and play more

Offline nino

« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2022, 12:18 PM »
The problem on activity is that nowadays the lil putos does not want play WA..only PS5 ou new PC games... and us when are around 40..yes iam 39 now hauhauha mostly dont have time to play as b4, well atleast me, my life is f@#!ing busy! work / wife / kid / travel and others stuff, but ill show WA to my lil prince very soon ae.

WA gave me something that i think was the best thing. Gringos Friends and Learn english for free cos king xD
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.

Offline Lupastic

« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2022, 12:58 PM »
my life is f@#!ing busy! work / wife / kid / travel and others stuff, but ill show WA to my lil prince very soon ae.

will be waiting for your child to grow older and face us in big rr, roper, elite, jetpack race, boom race etc P: :D
everyone make sure that ur kids will be using the language filter when joining wormnet and parental supervision while playing xD
registration & moderation on wormnet should be available as well!

Offline skunk3

« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2022, 07:44 PM »
skunk3 is correct regarding the drop of activity but at the same time, those of us who stayed don't care. So what? We're still enjoying the game.

In all my time of playing WA I think I might have seen you on WormNET less times than I can count using my 2 hands unless you are going by some alias I am not aware of.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2022, 07:54 PM »
20+ years number of terrains was ~30. Now we have 60+ (?)

20+ years game was turn based. Now we have realtime feature.

And that's just 2 things from top of my mind that players did in last year. Not bad for a dead game. Activity is not the best, we all see that. But community is far from dying.
Skunk, these veterans stories.. Come on man. You've been saying same shit for a decade now. 90% of people you're wishing to come back were some stoned 16 yr olds, like you were back then. You had fun and at some point it stopped and life moved on. Stop glorifying them.

I don't really care about extra terrain themes. They are cool and all but that doesn't address the core of the problem.

Also, realtime is a feature that barely ever gets used. It was popular for a short time and that's it.

Little by little the community is dying. Of course the game isn't completely dead (as in zero players) but it's a far cry from what it used to be. The level of competition is nowhere near as high and the average skill level 'per capita' isn't as high either. This is because most of the best players no longer play and that's just a simple fact. I'm sure WA is still thriving for those who like Kaos, Mole, and Shopper though.  ::) It is the people who make the in-game community fun and engaging and now there just really isn't much of what I'd consider a community because most of the cool/funny/skilled/dedicated players are gone. Yeah, I'm aware that we have this forum and various Discord channels but that's no substitution for being in-game and interacting with people. That's just how *I* feel about it, anyhow.

This is my favorite game of all time and it just really sucks to jump on WormNET and see nobody but a small handful of random noobs. Most of these new players either can't figure out how to use in-game chat or are too lazy to do so, so there's no getting to know people and develop friendships in a lot of cases. WA back in the day felt way more connected than it is today and that's why I bring it up so often. 

« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 08:01 PM by skunk3 »

Online vesuvio

« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2022, 08:09 PM »
and it is true--- but what can we do about it ?`pay a influencer to spread w:a to humanity^ if u do so maybe more new players than worms ever had

Offline Echiko

« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2022, 08:25 PM »
Anyway without the so called 'noobs', WormNET would be even more desert, at least they keep the server active and it shows there is still an interest in the game. Don't forget that everyone was a noob before becoming a top player. When I came back in december 2020 I hoped WormNET was still a thing, and when I came back I still remembered how to play shopper, how to do some stuff and eventually decided to stay there and even met some people.

I am not saying that "now is better than before", but let's not forget that keeping a server alive costs money, and every newbie that comes even to play with other friends newbie still shows activity. Any of us can still show them how many things you can do with this game and, on a long run, they could become more interested, as I became when I came here for the first time ever (and in the past, for newbies it was even tougher).

I instead like the fact that the community is not so big but not so small either. I admire the old players (still around or not) who were so talented and I wish I could become like some of them, and I like enthusiastic newcomers that came for an occasional game and had become an active member of the community :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 08:31 PM by Echiko »
This user cannot be contacted through PMs.

Offline FoxHound

• Scheme maker, map maker and Worms Knowledge Base editor. I also have translation projects.

• Brazil Brazil
  • STF STF clan
  • WoSC WoSC community
  • PoC PoC community

• Founder of WoSC, a community about scheme creation
    • View Profile
    • My Worms Knowledge Base page
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2022, 03:35 AM »
I will always repeat that the main problem will always be the hosting issue. Without solving this, the game will not grow, because you can't even play with your own friends easily. It's just not very attractive to say to people play a game that you can't even have fun with your own gameplay style as a host. Team17 is the real problem. I think only if the company do something or maybe if the devs talk to them and reach an agreement things would change significantly.

Right now I do support any update to the game, like new terrains, new scheme options, real time, soundbanks played for every player (without needing to download packs), etc... All effort by volunteer and free work of the devs is amazing, these updates will keep me playing and interested on this community, but all of that will not solve the problem of not being able to host. It is like having a cancer in the face and use a make up to hide it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 03:41 AM by FoxHound »
I doubt you see this link moving below (you will have to zoom in. If you click at it, you will have maden the impossible):
'

Offline Silver86

« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2022, 10:41 AM »
Activity in the game is slowing to a trickle compared to what it once was.

There's hardly any long-time players who are active anymore. Most of the people in AG are snooping (2/3rds at least) and the people who are in there are just random noobs. Clanners are dead. I rarely see any sort of ranked games hosted for any league. I've been busy this summer but I've also tried to make time to play WA when I can and every time I sign on (no matter the time of day) it's a disappointment. I haven't checked TUS in long time and from what I can tell, even this forum is half dead. It looks like the same posts that I saw last time I logged in here are still at the top with hardly any new replies. At this rate it makes me wonder how much longer the servers will even be running.
Skunkeee ;p
I guess life just goes on and most ppl dont have so much time for games as they used to, still love wa but havent played in a long while.

Offline grogu85

« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2022, 06:48 AM »
[Well I've started playing after taking a bit of a break it is a mixed bag of toxic people, and patient people but the thing i don't understand is why people join then leave immediately or only play a few turns, even just playing through one round is ok but people aren't making the community any better. Handle is grogu853 also if you want to play i post on discord and i play anything except RR and shopa
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 06:52 AM by grogu85 »

Online vesuvio

« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2022, 08:30 AM »
hey grogu85  :D WELCOME to tus. yes thats because the people you play with are maybe noobs.. here you find much different minded people to play with but it can be a bit hard for you in the beginning to keep up with =) i hope the others notice you and welcome you too and give you some discord servers for example