Forums
March 29, 2024, 01:12 PM

Author Topic: WA speed run: any interest?  (Read 3201 times)

WA speed run: any interest?
« on: January 15, 2017, 11:04 AM »
So I've worked on a speed run of the WA missions off and on for a while, with the idea of doing all 33 consecutively, though a full run isn't done yet. I have most pretty well optimized, a lot of the methods being similar to the ones here, but more repeatable: http://worms2d.info/Mission_records. Is anyone else interested in getting a routine down and trying for the best time? It could be fun, leading to streaming, and a neat way of attracting attention to the game. If anyone's interested, I could get you up to speed on what I know.

Also, it would be interesting if we could create a speed run category involving RR that had some sort of legitimacy to it, because that would be the most attention grabbing. But alas, I can't think of a way. Aside from asking Team17 to include a series of RRs with WA on Steam that they dub the Worms Derby.

Offline TheKaren

Re: WA speed run: any interest?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 11:09 AM »
Wow Mablak, Liam(M3ntal) and I were talking about the same thing when we were watching Summer Games Done Quickly last year, specifically the house missions.

And even player created missions that can become globally known :)

A massive Big RR map would be great for a speed run, one that is literally 30 minutes long or something, would be impressive :)

I am definitely interested, in June I plan to move in with my girlfriend and we will be getting the best internet connection available and I will do my best to become an exceptional streamer so I can help with that, people like DarkOne/Walrus etc are excellent commentators, we could make this work together :)

Offline Korydex

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 11:09 AM »

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 11:47 AM »
There's a lot of things you could speedrun wise - you could race through a certain map pack (perhaps one author, perhaps some people could make a few 'official' packs)
You could do DM speedrunning, TCB challenges (perhaps the MrTPenguin maps), there's a weekly TTRR challenges you could do in a row.

Endless possibilities!

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 12:08 PM »
A RR speedrun would be a collection of times on specific maps, I don't see that much appeal to it, unless you can paste all the maps together in the same huge map, and connect them. But I don't know how good it would be to have someone roperace for 15-30 minutes, for the person roping I mean
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 12:10 PM »
unless you can paste all the maps together in the same huge map, and connect them.

That's a great idea!

For some people(myself included) my hands get extremely painful tapping too fast too long, which is another reason I tend to avoid TTRR(And pull out of JPRR cup), but some people could go on for a very long time.

Was it Cueshark who created "Beat The Sheep" or wasn't it Nail? Or someone? That was pretty cool, it became quite popular for a while then died down, but was a huge map that lasted 5-10 minutes of non-stop roping :)

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 12:19 PM »
Speedrunning deathmatch is also pretty interesting because it's all improvisation. But there's still room for lots speedrunnig shenanigans with AI abusing and the such.
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 12:30 PM »
Speedrunning deathmatch is also pretty interesting because it's all improvisation. But there's still room for lots speedrunnig shenanigans with AI abusing and the such.

I don't know what that is, can you explain please?

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 12:36 PM »
If you watch speedruns for other games, you can see players break the game, sometimes spectacularly. It's the kind of thing that makes it possible to finish Legend of Zelda:LttP in about 3 minutes.
W:A doesn't have such game breaking mechanics (at least, to my knowledge), but there's certainly ways to break the AI of computer teams

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 12:37 PM »

I don't know what that is, can you explain please?

It's one of the single player modes, where each stage has you against more and more worms and higher level CPU teams

If you watch speedruns for other games, you can see players break the game, sometimes spectacularly. It's the kind of thing that makes it possible to finish Legend of Zelda:LttP in about 3 minutes.

sure, but it should tell you something that many games have glitchless speed runs, or no skip modes. Many people watch them for the game breaking but many others do it simply for the skill showcase.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline Free

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 12:50 PM »
Grrrrreat idea!!!!

Offline Masta

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 02:27 PM »
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 06:38 PM by Masta »

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 10:38 PM »
Thanks for the support Dave. I think if it were RR it would have to be broken up a little between maps, for the sake of sanity and carpal tunnel. And yeah we could easily group together some maps, possibly ones from TUS challenges, but would people outside worms view it as a legit category of speed run? There are speed runs of games like terraria, the sims, etc, but those are usually at least tied to some in-game achievement.

So yeah ropa, Deathmatch would be more of a possibility if it just allowed rope knocking. Then it would at least be more of a showing of intermediate skills and not be boring... doubt that can be done though. And of course that's the only prob with the missions, they're an entirely different thing than BnG, RR, Inter, and don't really show the biggest skill sets we all have. The main skills they showcase are good planning/optimization and efficient execution of moves, and to some extent game knowledge.

>Unless of course, teleporting the worm becomes part of the speed run, which I personally disagree with.

So that's the thing, we would want to gear this towards speed runs in general. In which case it's really a timed event from the moment you start the game until the end. I don't think tele would mess up the RR skill at all, it just means people would usually have to do soft landings on the ends. Edit: oops, thought we meant finishing and then tele-ing to the next map in the same turn. But either way, it's the same kind of time sink for all players.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 02:42 AM by Mablak »

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 02:05 AM »
No worries, happy to support any way I can for something I truly love :)

Personally speaking, the original Worms Armageddon missions, completing them all as fast as possible, sounds like the best place to start.

Which also includes, at the end of each mission, starting the next one as fast as possible, sort of like Zelda OoT runs, where they have to skip parts as fast as they can, I believe viewers would share this common bound.

Personally, I am not interested in participating in a speed run, too casual for that these days :D But i'll learn how to stream best I can and help out any way I can :)