Forums
March 28, 2024, 10:30 AM

Author Topic: WA speed run: any interest?  (Read 3200 times)

Offline TheWalrus

Re: WA speed run: any interest?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 07:15 AM »
the main problem with AGDQ candidacy of worms is that the game is quite slow, there has never been (to my knowledge) a turn based run speedrun that ive ever seen, they are mostly all fast paced games.

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 08:14 AM »
Yeah, hence why RR would be great if it were somehow doable. This is probably the slowest game I've seen done, with a power-walking ninja:

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 09:33 AM »
Yeah, hence why RR would be great if it were somehow doable. This is probably the slowest game I've seen done, with a power-walking ninja:

ahahah awesome nice find

Offline Korydex

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 09:41 AM »
Spoiler! View

Offline barman

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 02:10 PM »
there has never been (to my knowledge) a turn based run speedrun that ive ever seen, they are mostly all fast paced games.

Pokemon?
These consist mostly of walking and turn based combat and are very leisurely paced.

Speedrun.com has an "All Missions" category in Worms Armageddon, but no records at all: http://www.speedrun.com/Worms_Armageddon
I'm sure all 33 missions could be finished in 90 minutes or so.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 02:12 PM by barman »
My WA compilation videos: 2007 2013
My photography work

Quote from: Statik
barman's fails are best

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 06:30 PM »
Final fantasy is also a popular speedrunning game.

Offline Korydex

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 06:42 PM »
Spoiler! View
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 07:34 AM by Korydex »

Offline Prankster

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2017, 09:40 PM »
Prehistorik 2

Offline Tomi

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2017, 10:12 PM »
my fav :D

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2017, 03:05 AM »
Final fantasy is also a popular speedrunning game.

yeah this is what im talking about, boring as sin, 6 hour final fantasy "speed run"

worms would at least be better than this, dunno who can watch a 6 hour speed run of a RPG spamming attack over and over

Offline avirex

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2017, 01:52 AM »
nice one Tomi!! that brings back memories :DD

on topic: i think having random w:a videos, nobody really finds them, to see what level we have brought the game to.. not only skill wise, but in development as well (shout out @ deadcode and cybershadow ofc) and all the other people that contributed snoopers, map generators, rubber worm, project x, and more... and ofc all the hundreds of people who made the thousands and thousands of maps we have!!

so anyway... with all that said...

speed runs are pretty popular, and people do look for them, and watch them, on youtube, and i can only imagine there are some websites dedicated just to speed runs in various games...

i am not interested in speed runs at all, but i did watch the Mario64 speed run a while back, just because i played so much of that game years ago... and when i seen the speed run i wanted to check it out... especially after i seen it was done in like.. less then 20 minutes?? dont quote me on that... but then i for sure had to see how it was done.

anyway.. my point is... the reason i wanted to watch the speed run is the nostalgia factor...  and i would imagine that would be the same with W:A...almost everyone played some title from t17 worms.... so when they see speed runs posted for Worms:Armageddon, hopefully the are interested.

so it would be a very good way to get people to see w:a (worms in general) and want to search other videos, and see all the different variations we play, and the skill we have (mainly roping variations, but there are other schemes that were never intended by t17 as well that might peak peoples interest)

i would recommend that whoever makes the video, put some captions in the video, how w:a is still active, and has people still working on updates, still has an active community and leagues... with links to TUS, and maybe some other vidoes, that would be a bit more catchy to watch (like ttrr speed runs)

so, in short...  i agree, i think w:a mission's speed runs will be a good idea :D not only for competition for anyone who wants to participate, but also for people to view, and hopefully get peoples interest to start playing, or return to w:a.

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2017, 09:14 PM »

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2017, 03:49 AM »
Thanks for the opinion Jeff. Yeah, I would bank on the nostalgia factor getting some views, that's what drove me to look at things like the SM64 speed run too, and then all the Games Done Quick stuff, it's fascinating. Plus maybe we could ask Cue or someone with a worms related channel to put up a video once I get the routine down, reaching more interested peeps. Seems there are no other runners interested, but maybe someone else will emerge once a run is actually completed ;O.

Offline barman

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 05:52 PM »
Here's something I found: http://www.speedrun.com/run/wzp7j1vz

Basic training + all missions in 1:53:05.
My WA compilation videos: 2007 2013
My photography work

Quote from: Statik
barman's fails are best

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 09:50 PM »
Hey bar, yeah I've seen Pichi, he's done a good job showcasing WA. Those methods are mostly suboptimal, except for the last mission which works really well. With my routes, my first run was roughly 1 hr 23 mins. But video capture lags my computer, so I'm trying to practice playing at 800x600 res so I can actually record stuff!