Forums
March 29, 2024, 12:38 AM

Author Topic: Why is WA so popular in certain continents/nations?  (Read 6187 times)

Offline philie

Re: Why is WA so popular in certain continents/nations?
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2013, 01:34 AM »
Instead of this, sometimes in school i offer "if you beat me once in 4 schemes i selected at WA, i ll give you 25 Lira (~14$ , ~10 €)" or something like this to my friends xDD actually this one works too ;D one of my friend thinking to start playing WA now xD

:o

Offline Triad

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2013, 07:15 AM »
thats rly cool, good work Triad.
most of Turkish people has played a worms game in their life once and most of them played worms around 2004-2007 mostly. I remember i was playing wwp offline when i was 7 years old or something xD but unfortunately most of them wont play it now. I was playing wa in 2009, there was lots of good Turkish people like tenxone, cevval, steak, fume. But then i took a long break So after my long break from 2009, i returned in 2012. i saw that theres very few people in wormnet. So i decided to create a Turkish Worms site. And i created ultimateworms.tk

After creation of UC, i advertised this site to Turkish people in wormnet and some gaming sites. And i have 37 members on UC site now :) Most of people in UC started to play WA online seriously after they met me or registered UC site. I teached everything i know to them and also explained everything i know on UC site. And now they all are good wormers and i proud all of them :-* people of countries who has low number of players should do something like this if they want to increase that number. Its really works.

Instead of this, sometimes in school i offer "if you beat me once in 4 schemes i selected at WA, i ll give you 25 Lira (~14$ , ~10 €)" or something like this to my friends xDD actually this one works too ;D one of my friend thinking to start playing WA now xD
  Sounds like you have done more for promoting worms than our very own worms promotion project team.  Great story man, especially having so many turkish members from a country with traditionally less people on wormnet.  I'm not sure I could get 37 americans for a worms group, lol.   Congratulations on your success.
thank you so much guys :-*

Thats a good way. JohnMcClane was about the same. He and Medal were in the same class and they just ask some others to join, so Oley came. Circle goes bigger and whoops, you have a bunch of newcomers at one slap.

Keep that way! :)
thanks :-* yeah its a good way. For example i met gh0st in 2012 summer. He even dont know how to play shoppa. Now he's a FAW member. His younger brother Killer just 10 year old but he's very good at rope. AsiLL is classmate of gh0st and started WA in 2013, but he improved himself very fast and we beat che in wxw once with asill :D

Offline SpideR

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2013, 01:39 PM »
The piracy statement explaining W:A's popularity in Brazil is wrong, that's just north-south prejudice.

Back in the 90's I remember buying Worms2 in a game magazine for like 10 reais (like US$5)
I also remember talking about worms with many friends at school, playing it online with them, and even today, many people remember "worms" with a monalisa smile :)

An idea... what took many brazillians players into this game was the "WOW, lemme copy your W:A disk?"

Nowadays it's just easy to download a torrent and try the game.
It wasn't like that in past.

Offline rU`

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2013, 02:51 PM »
Nowadays it's just easy to download a torrent and try the game.
It wasn't like that in past.

tru dat, though I'm quite surprised by the amount of newcomers that have purchased the game through steam, or at least that's what they all told me.  ::) It seems there are still legit people out there.
LaW`T0WER , LoR`T0WER at wwp 2004-2007

TdC`Leroy , cFc`Leroy at w:a 2005-2008

Played leagues: CBC/CBS, FB, XTC, LW, TUS.

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2013, 12:38 AM »
South Americans and slavs tend to cling to older games.
Here comes the snow

Offline Fcrate

• Egypt Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2013, 11:51 AM »
Any old game doesn't have much Americans left, in the beginning you always see Americans, at the end, its Europe, and Eastern Europe to be more specific, Africa and South America, communities are what keep the old games rolling, I play MoH:AA/MoH:SH for 11 years straight, I've seen ppl come and go, but those who stayed are always in a community/clan, where friendship holds the ppl together, if it wasn't for my clan, I wouldn't be playing MoH still.
Piracy also helps, +1 to that, Most of the third world countries don't buy the games, they torrent it, and you get a strange mix, some nice people who can't pay for the games, and they usually pirate old games where no one is looking to update anymore, and they can play online as well, and some **** as well, I totally agree with StepS here, his point is exactly mine, the "Educated" ones buy the games, but I have to add this: IF they can, the price of the game might not be an object, but to set aside some money to pay for an internet Visa or something could prove an obstacle,  and they don't see the point anyway, why buy what you can get for free? I pirated the game myself ( as I didn't intend to play it for long, was just to play with a couple of friends for old times sake @ wwp ) but now I got hooked, and I want to buy it legally, however, on steam its for $15, which is way more of what I would pay on a game like this, I'd pay $5 more and get Company of heroes.
$15 might not be much for an European or an American, but its quite a sum here in Egypt, and in most third world countries, it represents 7% of the average monthly salary here, would you pay 7% of what you get on an old game?
Generally, companies tend to forget about the purchasing power difference between countries, and there isn't any legal way to buy games here in Egypt except online.
Egyptians are currently dominating the MoH:SH/MoH:AA communities, and I dare say that 99% of them didn't buy the game ( only me, and two others ), if it weren't for piracy, these two great games would be long dead by now.

Offline avirex

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2013, 02:07 PM »
im sure there is alot of game nerds here... ropa comes to mind.

but for some of us who dont know every title by its abbreviation, what is MoH? any game you played for 11 years makes me wonder if its any good... i like old catchy games, rather then all this new shoot em' up shit

Offline TheWalrus

« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2013, 03:37 PM »
im sure there is alot of game nerds here... ropa comes to mind.

but for some of us who dont know every title by its abbreviation, what is MoH? any game you played for 11 years makes me wonder if its any good... i like old catchy games, rather then all this new shoot em' up shit
MoH = Medal of Honor.  Get a ps3 or xbox and join the rest of america, avi.

Offline Fcrate

• Egypt Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2013, 05:02 PM »
I'm not talking about the new Medal of Honor, I mean Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, and its greater sequel: Medal of Honor:Spearhead. its a FPS game, and there are quite a few American servers that are still populated, so your ping should be OK.

Offline avirex

« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2013, 06:16 PM »
ahhh.... just another shoot em up game :X

ps3? whats that?? lol jk..

im not into video games much.. dunno why i even play w:a still, i guess just because of the friends i have made... dont get me wrong, i still have fun and enjoy it, but its mainly the community thats keeps me here.

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2013, 12:28 PM »
awww avi loves us.... so when u gonna come to ny and get drunk and pick up slutty ghetto trash

Offline avirex

« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2013, 11:26 AM »
hahah slutty ghetto trashhh sounds just my style, for real :DD

btw: i need to PM you!!! been meaning to do this for days.. check ur pink box babygirl

Offline taner

« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2013, 06:44 PM »
What exactly is the question about 11 years old kids? I think the two things are even less connected among children/teenagers since they (mostly) don't even have their own money to buy stuff. Now how does langauge come here? I only mentioned torrent usage.
Anyway, I didn't want to get into a flame war here, but yes, I'm quite sure about that. Maybe it's different in Russia.
lol man, its simple. only an educated person would buy the game, and an uneducated person would just download it, he would never buy something he can download, i don't see anything being complex in this sentence. yes, again, i didn't say that all of such users are like that (would be stupid if I did lol). but still there are, and the main point is that if you compare the percent of uneducated population from both legal and illegal spheres, it'll differ A LOT in the 2nd, to more than 95% compared to first. I doubt that, for example, taner and Godmax actually bought their games. if they did, they would most likely be educated then as they would have enough clue what buying a game is, what earning money is, what living a life is, what is good and bad, and this stuff. uneducated persons don't buy games. sorry but i cant explain it further, i thought it was pretty simple and obvious

ah well, if you still dont get it: by an uneducated person I mean someone often trolling/bullying/flaming in internet, or having intentions to do so, showing no respect, misbehaving and writing badly and other things, i hope you can describe all of this with one word. sorry for confusion

Education,trolling and buying a game are 3 different things.One cant be the reason of the other two.What they teach u in mother Russia is "whats good and bad" but not "why is it good and bad".What they just teach you is that certain things are the way they are(thats just a simple example) but not why.This simple way of thinking gets passed from a generation to a generation and thats what makes u russians ,below average human being which is the reason why most of you guys are degraded.I see that you're trying to look smart with that post,in front of the worms community,but anyone with an average IQ would realize that you are just an idiot.
Buying a game or not is just a free will and education has nothing to do with it.Another thing that makes you russians simple minded is that you don't understand the difference between being smart and educated.
Education doesnt make you good,bad or smart.It just makes you educated.

PS.Im not trying to offend you.I'm just pointing out the facts.

Offline Fcrate

• Egypt Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2013, 07:08 PM »
Buying a game or not is just a free will and education has nothing to do with it.Another thing that makes you russians simple minded is that you don't understand the difference between being smart and educated.
Education doesnt make you good,bad or smart.It just makes you educated.
I agree Education has nothing to do with it, its "how much money you have in your pocket" and " are you willing to spend it on a game just to get it legit" Its mainly ethics, that doesn't come with education.
However, I disagree when you say that education doesn't make you smart, in fact it does, well, it makes you smartER, brain is just a muscle, if you work out 3 times a week you'll be physically fit, also if you read a few books a year, you'll be mentally fit.

Offline taner

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2013, 07:15 PM »
even an idiot(nothing personal StepS) can learn something after reading it 50 times.that just makes him educated,but not smart.

PS.I really thing that books are boring and movies can give you much more .
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 07:21 PM by taner »