Forums
April 19, 2024, 02:51 PM

Author Topic: WMDB's licensing problem - any lawyers in the house?  (Read 4514 times)

Offline Abnaxus

Re: WMDB's licensing problem - any lawyers in the house?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2020, 12:17 AM »
Does that mean I can prosecute you for uploading my maps ? I'll get rich !!

Kidding aside,you'll have trouble cause of different countries, having different jurisdictions.
I guess the only way to fully protect yourself is to ask uploaders to give you the full rights of maps...

I'll ask my lawier if he knows another into property rights, who could give us hints onto that.

PS: Fabrousse would never upload his maps again, don't delete them ! :(

PSS: I wonder if maps aren't T17 property since it's a T17 game (doubt it since it's not made into the game tho). Such as Portal 2 community maps or any new games map editor.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 12:19 AM by Abnaxus »
Watashi wa, jinmei ni iku sa reru ka o kakunin surunoni nagai jikan o matteita.
Shikashi, tada nariyuki o mimamoru.
Jikan dake to iudarou gen'in to naru.

May the force be with you.

Offline Kradie

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2020, 01:12 AM »
But what if someone takes a random map from the editor or a map from franz, and then convert it into PNG, print it out and then to sell it? Make a public museum to showcase these maps. Would this be illegal? Hypothetically of course.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline skunk3

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2020, 06:19 PM »
Perhaps I am being overly optimistic, but I don't see this being a serious issue now or at any point in the future.

The entire reason why the community makes maps is to share them. I can't think of anyone who would actually sue over this, and even if they were upset for some ridiculous reason, they probably wouldn't even know the proper channels through which to even begin legit legal action. They also wouldn't pay legal fees to seriously pursue such action, even if they had an actual case and most of the time they wouldn't. They also would/should know that if they raised a stink such as this, they would immediately and permanently be ostracized from the Worms community. They would get flamed and trolled so hard and would have to change aliases in order to even play a game. I also say they should have their IP banned completely.

Deleting all of the maps currently on the database would be a terrible option because many of creators are no longer active and cannot be contacted. W:A is its own little ecosystem and if this hasn't been an issue yet, I highly doubt that it ever will be.

tl;dr - not worth worrying about