Forums
March 28, 2024, 10:44 PM

Author Topic: WormNET is down - No news anywhere?  (Read 2758 times)

Offline TheKaren

WormNET is down - No news anywhere?
« on: December 18, 2020, 01:49 PM »
WormNET has been down for hours, no news about it anywhere, not surprising giving we all know how little Team17 cares about WA these days...

Would be nice to have a message of some sort from someone telling us what's going on, is this planned maintenance or something broke?

Offline Kradie

Re: WormNET is down - No news anywhere?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 04:04 PM »
Ladies and.... Gentlemen.... It is back! Great Snooper won't connect though.

I think that CyberShadow moved us from Team17's server to the new one.
Global Wormin' - A Friendly Discord Worms Server
https://discord.gg/zvFwZuAKQB

Offline Korydex

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 04:10 PM »
Try to call them maybe ^^

Offline Kradie

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 04:23 PM »
Try to call them maybe ^^
I wonder what they would say, or if they even care...

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 03:21 PM »
Why noone coming to the community server? At least it's up and running

Offline Kradie

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 03:46 PM »
It just proves how poorly people actually cares about WA. All they do is lurk in their snoopers, organize games with ''selected'' players. Instead of actually looking for people to play with. They also like to pretend how much they care by talking big about WA.

I am not there but I will be there later on as usual. Nothing changed.

Offline StepS

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 06:37 PM »
I'm seeing the same volume of joined/left as on the official server.
The difference is purely in those who stay connected, as in, most snooper users have not reconfigured their programs to connect to the community server. So it feels like there are less people, when in fact we have the same number of lobbies created as on Team17's WormNET.
Keep in mind that eventually wormnet.net will become the main server for reasons described in this post. However, it was not planned to happen now as it's still under development and this downtime was not accounted for. Yesterday, a lot of bugs were fixed and the work actively continues.
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 08:45 PM »
Quote from: StepS
I'm seeing the same volume of joined/left as on the official server.
So the official server is down for good? We now have to wait for the new server to take its place in wa.exe?

I am very grateful for what you're doing for w:a and in no way impatient or anything. It just took me some time to realize that I have to do something about my connection (e.g. switch to the community server, which is usually empty), because it was just forever "connecting, please wait". It occurs to me that some players would just abandon the attempts and leave w:a after a few days of the wormnet being down...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 08:55 PM by Nick Riviera »

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020, 08:57 PM »
I appreciate everything people have done for WA, but it's really bad to just take the usual service down without even telling us about planned maintenance, that's actually a really sh*t thing to do.

Offline StepS

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2020, 11:15 PM »
I appreciate everything people have done for WA, but it's really bad to just take the usual service down without even telling us about planned maintenance, that's actually a really sh*t thing to do.
I'm not sure who you are blaming here?
As already said, we don't know why Team17's server went down. They themselves probably don't know either since it must've been an accident. We also do not control it and we can't bring it back up. In any case, we will not know before Monday.

Because of this, the Community Server was launched ahead of time to let people play. This is NOT in any way linked to the planned eventual replacement of the Team17 server.

So the official server is down for good?
No it is not. I don't know where you even get such ideas. I'm sure when Team17 gets back to office on Monday, they can figure out and fix it, but until then this is all we have.
We cannot assume it is "down for good" unless we get an official confirmation, anything else is wild speculation, nothing more.
Also this is not the first time that a Friday breakage of this kind happens.

It just took me some time to realize that I have to do something about my connection (e.g. switch to the community server, which is usually empty), because it was just forever "connecting, please wait"
This is incorrect. The game actually throws a "Switch to community server list? Yes/No" dialog box when connection fails. The vast majority of people did not have to go into settings, the server list just gets enabled when you click "Yes" on connection failure.

If you did not get such a dialog box, that means you did not wait long enough, or there is something wrong with your network setup that causes it to never fail (I can't imagine there being a reason for it).
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2020, 02:00 AM »
No it is not. I don't know where you even get such ideas. I'm sure when Team17 gets back to office on Monday, they can figure out and fix it, but until then this is all we have.
We cannot assume it is "down for good" unless we get an official confirmation, anything else is wild speculation, nothing more.
Also this is not the first time that a Friday breakage of this kind happens.
  I see! Thanks!
This is incorrect. The game actually throws a "Switch to community server list? Yes/No" dialog box when connection fails. The vast majority of people did not have to go into settings, the server list just gets enabled when you click "Yes" on connection failure.
If you did not get such a dialog box, that means you did not wait long enough, or there is something wrong with your network setup that causes it to never fail (I can't imagine there being a reason for it).
It does that if I double-click it ("connect manually"):

But if I don't, it's stuck like that (at least >10 minutes)

PS Please don't get mad at us :) You're our only hope!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 02:02 AM by Nick Riviera »

Offline unitek

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2020, 10:58 AM »
I also had trouble finding information, luckily TUS exists. I have the exact same symptoms as Nick Riviera when I want to connect to Wormnet.  I hope we will find a solution.

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2020, 12:32 PM »
I'm not sure who you are blaming here?
As already said, we don't know why Team17's server went down. They themselves probably don't know either since it must've been an accident. We also do not control it and we can't bring it back up. In any case, we will not know before Monday.

Because of this, the Community Server was launched ahead of time to let people play. This is NOT in any way linked to the planned eventual replacement of the Team17 server.

Ok, so I was wrong about it being planned maintenance, I apologize for that, sorry!

However, it's still really unfortunate that nobody from Team17 noticed this and then made some kind of announcement.

I'm sure when Team17 gets back to office on Monday, they can figure out and fix it, but until then this is all we have.

Wow, so they don't even have any weekend staff? Damn that's pathetic...

I guess these days we get used to companies having weekend staff, at least 1 person just to keep an eye on things, even if they can't fix it, they can still make an announcement.

It goes a long way to strengthen relationships with people even if you simply acknowledge downtime, but being left completely in the dark absolutely sucks.

Offline h3oCharles

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2020, 02:48 PM »
imagine an indie game company working on weekends smh

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2020, 04:03 PM »
Oh wow, imagine, people working at the weekend, what a ridiculous, outrageous and primitive concept  ::) ::) ::)