Forums
March 28, 2024, 08:39 AM

Author Topic: worms armageddon soundtrack  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Husk

worms armageddon soundtrack
« on: July 30, 2018, 03:05 AM »
what does worms armageddon and castlevania: symphony of the night have in common?

well, this:

sounds familiar? well, listen to this at 4 minutes and 35 seconds:

i noticed similar thing with yet another ps1 game, but need to check what game it was
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 03:10 AM by Husk »

Offline TheKaren

Re: worms armageddon soundtrack
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 03:12 AM »
Ah, I like things like this :D

I know quite a few of these songs that use the same riff etc :)

Offline skunk3

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 03:19 AM »
Most likely a lot of the sounds are from some rompler keyboard that was fairly current whenever the soundtracks were composed and recorded. If  I were to venture a guess I'd say possibly the Korg M1, but I doubt it. Probably something Kurzweil, like a K2500.

Offline Husk

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 04:50 AM »
did u even listen to it? or do u mean the cry of help sound was made by k2500? and if it was made by k2500, what would be the odds of the castlevania composer making the same sound as wa's composer? there's huge amount of settings, so seems unlikely they both made the same sound?

i mean maybe it's a case of recycled sounds... we have seen it before with many classic nintendo games using same sound effects
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 04:59 AM by Husk »

Offline TheKaren

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 08:19 AM »
The creaky vocalish sound that pitchbends up then down, kinda sounds like sooty being tortured lol.

Offline skunk3

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 10:00 AM »
did u even listen to it? or do u mean the cry of help sound was made by k2500? and if it was made by k2500, what would be the odds of the castlevania composer making the same sound as wa's composer? there's huge amount of settings, so seems unlikely they both made the same sound?

i mean maybe it's a case of recycled sounds... we have seen it before with many classic nintendo games using same sound effects

The reason why I assume that it was the Kurzweil K2500 is because it came out the year before the Castlevania soundtrack was made and also because it was *the* industry standard keyboard for composers. (And still a damn fine keyboard today!) It's highly likely both dudes used the same keyboard, at least partially.

The sound is probably not actual synthesis... it's probably just a sample or something contained within a patch.

I am just guessing though. It could have merely been a sample from a cd-rom library. I used to have stacks and stacks of old sample libraries from back in the day on CD but lost them all, but that's okay by me since these days I don't really make music anymore aside from once in a blue moon and also I prefer to not use samples of outside material except when I'm making hip-hop. If I am making a techno track (my preferred genre) I create all of my own sounds from scratch per track, or I will do that and also use sounds that I have previously made. I'm a total synthesizer / drum machine nerd and have been making beats since I was in high school.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 10:05 AM by skunk3 »

Offline Husk

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 09:01 AM »
yea seems u have experience from this stuff, did u make any music urself? i never created any music so i didn't even think about the patch possibility

k no need to answer that question i just read the rest of ur post, bit off-topic but could u instead suggest some bands that influenced ur synth/drum passion? i like this kind of stuff

« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 09:08 AM by Husk »

Offline skunk3

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 07:25 AM »
yea seems u have experience from this stuff, did u make any music urself? i never created any music so i didn't even think about the patch possibility

k no need to answer that question i just read the rest of ur post, bit off-topic but could u instead suggest some bands that influenced ur synth/drum passion? i like this kind of stuff

You can skip to the bottom by the YouTube videos unless you want to read some long shit that doesn't matter lol. I'm just bored.

I've made a ton of music over the years but I'm really weird when it comes to my own art of any kind. I used to share it a bunch but eventually I decided that it was much too personal and that it's really for myself. I started off in high school playing bass in a ska band and also acting as the 'engineer.' I had a Fostex 4-track cassette recorder, some shitty mics, etc... I recorded everything and mixed it down and duplicated tons of cassette tapes to give out / sell. Around that time I got super into electronic music and wanted to learn how they made those sorts of sounds, so I started subscribing to magazines (many of them foreign and from the UK) and digging up any info that I could because at this time there wasn't endless information on the internet like there is today. I bought my first drum machine (Alesis HR16) and then eventually expanded my gear collection.

I've worked since I was 12 years old and I spent a lot of my money that I made from jobs on music gear. When I finally got a sampler it was a game changer for me. I was also really into early music software, like Propellerhead's Rebirth RB-338, although I've always found hardware to be vastly more fun to use than software. I made hip-hop beats, Detroit-style techno, and Chicago-style house music. (I grew up kinda between both cities.) Eventually I found myself favoring techno for production but when I DJ'ed at raves/parties I often played more house than techno. Some time in the early 2000's I gave up hardware for a while and tried making music completely on the computer because I was convinced that it was the future but I eventually got sick of it because it was so boring and the lack of hands-on control really bothered me.

I then switched back to using all hardware and did live PA sets locally, both by myself and with another dude who I used to record music with. To me there's nothing more fun than live PA. Making finished tracks and taking the time to make tons of tiny edits and whatnot is totally boring to me. I'd much rather program certain sequences and sounds and just freestyle with the machines live while manipulating effects, patterns and mixing. I like weird, dark, polyrhythmic, acidic techno that ebbs and flows, that swells and crashes. Stuff for pitch black rooms and a head full of LSD lol.

In the last ~10 years or so I have been extremely unproductive musically. I moved to a new state in early 2009 due to losing a good job in late 2008 because of the recession and I also had a super shitty breakup with the girl I was dating at the time and was dealing with other crap too, like a loser roommate who refused to work and instead just played video games and smoked weed all day because his mom owned the house we were living in and he was confident that she wouldn't evict us. Well, he was wrong. lol. I was paying my half of the bills every month and still got kicked out. I was also dealing with other headaches and drama and was just totally sick of my situation. Anyway...

I hadn't seen my mom in several years and since I didn't expect to lose my job out of nowhere I didn't really have any money saved up, so I asked her for help for the first time in my adult life. I moved in with her in early 2009 and her place was small so my gear sat in storage for a couple of years, because when I first moved out here I planned on just staying long enough to save up some cash and my plan was to move out to the West coast, like Oregon. On a whim I decided to apply to some colleges and I got accepted to a few so I ended up staying there for 4 years while I went to school. (2009-2013.) When I finally finished school with my useless degrees I moved to the closest city so I no longer had to live in the middle of nowhere, and it took me a long time to meet people here. I didn't make any friends at all for probably 2 years. Finally in 2015 sometime I made some DJ friends and got introduced to the electronic music scene in town but I quickly realized that the scene pretty much sucks... almost everyone is into dubstep and other newer EDM bullshit. I tried playing some live PA gigs at places in town but the owners would always ask how many people I could bring in. I was like... "I don't f@#!ing know. I just wanna play." I played like twice and there was hardly any turnout at all.

Later on that year (still 2015) I experienced an intensely bad bout of depression and lost interest in almost everything. I ended up selling all of my music gear and haven't really done anything since aside from DJ out a couple of times, but I don't even do that anymore. I actually sold my DJ controller and I sold one of my turntables too. I only kept one turntable and my mixer so I can listen to records at home since I have a pretty big collection. Although I am not suffering from intense depression like I once was, I just don't feel the drive to make music like I used to because I feel like all the joy in life has been sucked out of me, to be honest. I'm never happy, but not usually sad. I'm just kinda like a blank emotional zombie 90% of the time. There are moments in which I wish I could jam out on some drum machines and synths but I don't have them anymore and I can't afford to get back into them anymore since I essentially live 'paycheck to paycheck' and simply can't afford to spend money on non-essentials. I am back in school pursuing a master's degree so I hope that one day I can break free from financial slavery and actually be able to afford to enjoy life rather than just getting by.

Anyway -

Artists/bands that influenced me as a teen? (just some random examples, not a "top" list or anything)

And many many many more.

Offline Husk

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 12:52 PM »
awesome to see u like old prodigy, i love jericho aswell, 10/10, also "back 2 skool" is awesome and so many more, ok now to the text part of ur post haha

hmm yeah alot of stuff i like has its roots in house or vice versa

"I'm never happy, but not usually sad."

yeah i have noticed for myself if i feel like i can't be myself, that i have to act something else than i am not, then i am not genuine and it drains me. so i try to remind myself to be myself and not think about what others think of me, just enjoy what i like

also i feel similar to u as lost drive and it feels like everyday is the same. seems like you found happiness playing instruments, so i'd suggest u to go for that again m8, maybe look for used instrument on amazon?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 01:17 PM by Husk »