Forums
April 19, 2024, 03:01 PM

Author Topic: ''Worms Player'' like WM player or vlc player  (Read 2269 times)

Offline CoolMan89

''Worms Player'' like WM player or vlc player
« on: September 10, 2015, 09:50 AM »
How easy/difficult would be to create something like "worms player" where you can play worms replays? Maybe unnecessary, but what i am thinking of is along the lines of somewhere  where you can watch replays, extract clips and save them separately etc without having to use fraps and other software?

Offline ANO

Re: ''Worms Player'' like WM player or vlc player
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 10:12 AM »
you can't play it without converting it into a video format ===> rendering, encoding, processing etc... it would take a lot of time

meaning, that every time you want to watch a replay, you would always have to convert it and wait.

Offline Triad

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 11:22 AM »
The reason why replay files has such small sizes are because it uses WA to run those. It keeps what happened on a game as idk, commands or codes and uses WA Engine to simulate it again. It's far different than a normal video file. If WA recorded those as video, you couldn't scroll around map, open n close chat, and file size would be unnecessarily big.

Offline StepS

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 02:46 PM »
Playing a replay file and a real live game is basically the same. Implementing replay playback is almost the same as implementing the entire game, minus controls and networking.
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline Ytrojan

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 05:02 PM »
Try recording them on a VHS Tape. Or record them yourself. Why would you want a media player that you can only use for Worms matches?! What's next?! A weapon editor for lazy people?!
Imagine What a Buck Could Do!

I now declare a brand new league (and the successor to the failed Ultra League): WormsRF!

Offline MeTonaTOR

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 07:01 PM »
Worms Player? Just click 2x replays... Ofc it does not have GUI Interface, but keyboard commads... What else?
<Asbest> alright im too sleepy, i seen too many idiots today. i hope no one will get what i got. have a good night
* Asbest (~Asbest@5b606b87.bfe48da6.6c2d5d00.IP4) Quit (Quit)
<StepS> party
<OutofOrder> ♫♪♫♪ \o/ _o/ \o\  /o/ ♫♪♪♫
<Bamboy> ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
<StepS> (≧▽≦)
<Bamboy> ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ
<WTF-8> ( . )   ( . )

Offline Ytrojan

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 03:08 PM »
Worms Player? Just click 2x replays... Ofc it does not have GUI Interface, but keyboard commads... What else?
Yeah, if you REALLY need a stupid GUI interface on your Worms replays, go make your own!

I now declare a brand new league (and the successor to the failed Ultra League): WormsRF!

Offline CoolMan89

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 07:17 PM »
Try recording them on a VHS Tape. Or record them yourself. Why would you want a media player that you can only use for Worms matches?! What's next?! A weapon editor for lazy people?!
Yeah, if you REALLY need a stupid GUI interface on your Worms replays, go make your own!

BTW, if you cant come up with constructive criticisms or contribute something beneficial to the topic, u can just keep your sarcasms and comments to yourself cause no1 is personally asking YOU to come up with a solution or your input for that matter.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 07:31 PM by CoolMan89 »

Offline ANO

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 07:52 PM »
there is no solution... hope you have understood what we said.

Offline CoolMan89

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 07:56 PM »
there is no solution... hope you have understood what we said.

Yes I did, Thank you

Offline raffie

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 07:39 AM »
I've thought about a 'batch player' for replay files before, since this would allow me to stream replay files on Twitch when I'm not actually playing 'live', but then I thought; this is too specific for anyone to bother coding it.  ;)

I don't think it is currently possible to play multiple replay files consecutively, right?

Offline Ytrojan

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 11:15 PM »
I've thought about a 'batch player' for replay files before, since this would allow me to stream replay files on Twitch when I'm not actually playing 'live', but then I thought; this is too specific for anyone to bother coding it.  ;)

I don't think it is currently possible to play multiple replay files consecutively, right?
Right. Here's a better idea: A Worms demo disc! People would upload their replays and the best ones would get put on the monthly discs.

Offline Lex

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 03:01 PM »
A WAgame demuxer for ffmpeg is possible, but has licensing issues because the WA engine is closed-source.

Hypothetically, if the WA engine was open-source, a WAgame demuxer could be written for ffmpeg that simply serves the video and audio from the WA engine optionally built into ffmpeg, in a similar manner to how Themaister, author of ssnes/libsnes/retroarch/libretro, implemented a bsv demuxer for ffmpeg ( https://gist.github.com/Themaister/1154721 ) which played Super Nintendo input recordings using ffmpeg.

This would allow video players that use ffmpeg for decoding video (such as MPC-HC via LAV Filters) to play replays without encoding a video first.

WA can't save and load its state, though, so keyframe seeking would be slower for the longer into the game the seek point is, as the engine would have to run to that point.  WA state is pretty large, so implementing state-saving and therefore keyframes for seeking in a long replay would not be trivial, I think.  Anyway, that's beside the point.  Seeking would be possible, but just slow.

Team17 is unlikely to open-source WA, but I still have hope for that eventuality.

Offline raffie

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2015, 07:11 PM »
Interesting reply Lex!