Forums > Gaming Central

Multiplayer RPG games (not MMO), also Monster Hunter World

<< < (2/6) > >>

skunk3:
So I've been playing MHW today and I gotta say that I'm not loving it. It's basically a MMO. There's a lot of boring collecting crap that you have to do and the combat is basically go to this location, attack the monster, try to evade attacks, and keep chasing it down until it's dead. Over and over. Then you get slight upgrades on your gear. I wasn't expecting it to be like a MMO. I was thinking more of an exploration game that focuses on co-op ass kicking. I'm gonna stick with it for a while to see if my opinion changes but I HAAAATE MMOs.

edit:

So it's not really like a MMO per se, but it does require you to team up with people to get the most out of the game, and to also not spend forever dropping one monster when a group of 4 can do it extremely fast. I've also been told that the end game is extremely grindy. I actually think I'm gonna try to get a refund because I can already tell that this isn't a game that's going to suck me in. I hate games based upon grinding.

TheKomodo:
Damn, quite surprised you don't like it, it does have grinding yeah but tbh I never paid attention to that, if you are worrying about grinding after playing the game for less than a day, you are playing it wrong man.....

It's the characters, music, the world, the sillyness, the cuteness, everything... Perfecting your routine and combos to take down monsters.

It IS a very annoying grinding game if you aren't having fun, but when you just actually love the gameplay and feeling like you are in that world, you just collect stuff over time lol.

I dunno, maybe I see it differently, it's the only game besides Zelda and Worms that I actually love right now.

skunk3:
Well, I started the game using the heavy bowgun because that seemed cool to me and it was just so slow and plodding that I got irritated and finally tried a different weapon. I switched to the dual knives and it's WAY better. I do way more damage and the combat feels more fun, but it's still not amazing. Basically all you do is just spam a button over and over again while steering in the direction of the monster and then rolling away when it telegraphs some sort of attack... then just run back in and start hacking away. I think it's one of those kinds of games that would be potentially fun if you had a dedicated group of friends who play it together but solo it's very blah. I haven't researched the game at all so I am experiencing it as a totally clueless beginner just figuring things out as I go along.

It just seems like the combat isn't really that deep. There's no skill tree that you can use to customize your play style. There's no perks or feats that I know of that really separate you from anyone else... just different weapon styles. There's nothing about the game that makes me go "wow this is awesome" aside from the first time I see some huge monster... but the novelty of that wears off pretty quick because you end up seeing those same monsters a million times. I was just hoping for more customization... more personalized play styles, as well as more dynamic combat other than "I run up to the monster and spam the A button." I am only a couple of hours into the game and I know that it probably (hopefully) gets better as I go along but for now there's hardly anything to craft and the only items that I can buy are trash. I find myself collecting just about everything I see because I'm afraid that if I don't I will regret it later on, which in turn gets boring because endlessly collecting shit is tiresome.

I've been told that the early part of the game is fairly boring and that it's basically just a tutorial for the "real game" which starts when you hit 'high rank' as a hunter. We'll see. 

Sensei:

--- Quote from: skunk3 on August 11, 2018, 08:29 AM ---Basically all you do is just spam a button over and over again while steering in the direction of the monster and then rolling away when it telegraphs some sort of attack... then just run back in and start hacking away.

--- End quote ---

That's what I saw on twitch streams. And that's the reason I asked you in discord why you like this game, but hate WoW? As a guy that never played either, I find them quite similar.

Similar idea at least. Run around, hack&slash creeps, hack&slash monsters, fullfil quests..
Is there any depth to it or that's basically it? Cause hype is enormous and I'm just curious - why?

TheKomodo:
skunk different weapons are used to collect different parts of the monsters, for example you use a great sword/long sword to cut off tails, you use a hammer to smash heads, you use a bowgun to shoot certain parts as well, things you cannot do with other weapons.

I used to love the bowguns, the heavy bowgun is even slower than the normal one, trust me once you get all the proper stuff a heavy bowgun is EXTREMELY powerful...

I guess when it comes down to it, it's not the most complex game of all time, it is a very repetitive game, but that's exactly what makes it great for me.

Repetitive games suck, unless it's repeating things you absolutely love, and the core basic elements of this game bring me peak fun when playing video games.

The music of Monster Hunter is in my top 3 soundtracks of all time, for anything, games/movies/tv etc, between that and the visuals, I can sit there just watching the screen for an hour texting my gf chilling with the music...

With the right party having a laugh I can sit there playing for up to 24 hours straight trying to beat better and stronger monsters, then once you beat enough you get High Rank, then once you complete that, you get G Rank! Which i've never had before, I doubt I ever will because I can't seem to find a group of people I fit into.

I mean, look at Worms Armageddon...

We play on the same maps constantly, even if we make a new Big RR map, it's just same shit, different route.

Another BnG map, same shit, diff hides.

The combat system itself is simple as shit, aim and shoot.

The graphics are EXTREMELY outdated, but we love them!

I think games are more about friendships, and enjoying the artwork/sound/feeling of playing with other players, more than they are the game...

There is no point sitting saying what you think is bad about the game cuz it doesn't really matter, it IS a great game technically and creatively or it wouldn't have sold as many copies as it has and have the massive fanbase it does, this game is FRICKING HUGE! In Japan!

I don't even know if you understand this feeling/thing i'm talking about, it's hard to explain and I haven't done the best job, really tired today, f**kin lost 2g earlier, got home and banged my foot off my chair snapped half my nail off, then continued to putting my f**king Zelda hoody on backwards, i'm not having a good day  :D

I will say this though, if the initial world/graphics/audio, feeling of cuteness and adorableness, feeling like a hero! Doesn't pull you in, and you are one of these people who expect to be blown away with combat systems n sh*t, walk away now, go design your own or something, don't waste anymore of your time, this game is not for you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version