Forums > Gaming Central

Why gaming became worse

<< < (2/7) > >>

Xrayez:
My 2 cents as a game developer (at least that's what I do at the moment):

As of quality of video games made today, I'd say there are two factors that negatively impact the trend of games:

* game jams (as in "hey guys, I organized a game jam, I invite you all to make half-assed games in a week or two")
While I must agree that participating in a game jam contributes to increased social participation in game development field, it also makes people want a quick fix that leads to making the industry look sorta unprofessional and overcrowded (especially for indie devs). Add a little conspiracy and you can figure out how easy it is to steal a really good game idea during those jams. Personally I'd just stick to making a single game and dedicate enough time to polish the game, but it seems that people have become inpatient.

* grinding, microtransactions...
Honestly until recently I didn't even know a half of those terms and I don't think I need to. About micro-transactions and such, take a look at this site for devs: https://enjincoin.io/

There you'll find how this blockchain technology (recall bitcoin) is going to be used for claiming the ownership of game items, assets etc. I might be a bit conservative in this regard but this seems boring to me (perhaps if I played those kind of games I'd change my mind). I wonder how I'd go about incorporating these technologies in unobtrusive ways...

skunk3:

--- Quote from: TheKomodo on September 07, 2018, 05:17 AM ---I'm so grateful for growing up during the best era of gaming there will ever be, seeing friends I grew up at school with playing Fortnite makes me cringe so much...

People just follow trends, it's lame as f**k!

I've played 336 hours in DayZ, that was all within about 3-4 weeks as well.

I started playing it earlier this year, then they brought out the newer patch, and I absolutely hate it, I cannot stand the new user interface, I loved it the way it was, minus the double carry bug.

I had the most awesome collection of gear and bases on the server I played on, I was basically a TISY tour guide taking people on loot runs by the end, going on hunting trips, I never even killed a single player, although I stalked so many people to make sure they played fair, could have easily got a few hundred kills if I wanted to, but personally wouldn't ruin someones fun like that.

When I get used to something, and grow to love it, and they change it, pisses me off beyond belief... Sure, improve graphics, fix bugs, but why the f**k did they have to change the user interface? And I used to love reading the little messages that popped up saying "I am thirsty", "I am hungry", "My leg is in pain" etc, just like in real life you talk to yourself in your head when you feel/need things.

Quite a few things I didn't like about the new patch, tbh, but I won't go there.

--- End quote ---

There are 672 hours in 4 weeks. 336 hours (of gameplay time) is fully half of that time. Do you not have a job or any sort of a life? I'm not trying to sound insulting here but f@#! man. That's 12 hours of game play every single day for a month straight. If what you've said is true you have a problem.

Anubis:

--- Quote from: skunk3 on September 07, 2018, 08:04 PM ---
--- Quote from: TheKomodo on September 07, 2018, 05:17 AM ---I'm so grateful for growing up during the best era of gaming there will ever be, seeing friends I grew up at school with playing Fortnite makes me cringe so much...

People just follow trends, it's lame as f**k!

I've played 336 hours in DayZ, that was all within about 3-4 weeks as well.

I started playing it earlier this year, then they brought out the newer patch, and I absolutely hate it, I cannot stand the new user interface, I loved it the way it was, minus the double carry bug.

I had the most awesome collection of gear and bases on the server I played on, I was basically a TISY tour guide taking people on loot runs by the end, going on hunting trips, I never even killed a single player, although I stalked so many people to make sure they played fair, could have easily got a few hundred kills if I wanted to, but personally wouldn't ruin someones fun like that.

When I get used to something, and grow to love it, and they change it, pisses me off beyond belief... Sure, improve graphics, fix bugs, but why the f**k did they have to change the user interface? And I used to love reading the little messages that popped up saying "I am thirsty", "I am hungry", "My leg is in pain" etc, just like in real life you talk to yourself in your head when you feel/need things.

Quite a few things I didn't like about the new patch, tbh, but I won't go there.

--- End quote ---

There are 672 hours in 4 weeks. 336 hours (of gameplay time) is fully half of that time. Do you not have a job or any sort of a life? I'm not trying to sound insulting here but f@#! man. That's 12 hours of game play every single day for a month straight. If what you've said is true you have a problem.

--- End quote ---

Life is about having fun, if playing video games is your main source of fun you are having a great life. Not everybody loves to follow the normal way of, work, f@#!, have children, retire, die. Your time is so short, nothing you do here has any meaning other than enjoying yourself. You have 70-80 years and that's it, just do what you love and be nice to your fellow humans.

Even if you are an artist, your work will most likely be forgotten sooner than later unless you are the top of a generation like beethoven, michael jackson etc. But most work/art will be forgotten faster than you imagine. And that's artist/celebs, if you are just a normal joe, honestly it doesn't matter what you do. Just have fun.

TheKomodo:

--- Quote from: skunk3 on September 07, 2018, 08:04 PM ---There are 672 hours in 4 weeks. 336 hours (of gameplay time) is fully half of that time. Do you not have a job or any sort of a life? I'm not trying to sound insulting here but f@#! man. That's 12 hours of game play every single day for a month straight. If what you've said is true you have a problem.

--- End quote ---

I quit my job around that time, so I had plenty free time, I was literally playing like every day for 8-16 hours.

What do you consider as having a life?

I enjoy spending most of my time playing games, watching entertaining series and films, and dating now and again trying to find someone that likes what I do.

Would rather spend my time indoors talking/chatting/playing games with people I like, rather than being outside with people that kinda piss me off, I constantly see people doing bad things, lying, cheating, being selfish, being manipulative, ganging up on people, bullying, people being racist and bigots.

I enjoy cycling on my bike every few days for an hour around where I live in the spring/summer/autumn.

I used to date/party a lot when I was younger, I used to go clubbing, i've done so many different things in my life, but playing games, making music, watching stuff, is what I enjoy doing most.

Life is hard when you are very compassionate and empathic, when you feel sad and depressed at all the evil in the world but can't do anything about it because nobody f**king cares about it.

I can't get rich and help the world, because I don't want to go down the academic road, and get a boring job that benefits someone else financially more than it helps other people be happy in life.

The only thing I really love doing, that actually has the potential to make people feel pretty awesome, is making music, one day I might become successful and could get a lot of money, and can help spread awareness on many of the things I hold close to my heart.

Until that day, i'll just keep being me, and doing what I enjoy.

skunk3:
There is a vast difference between 'having fun' and 'doing you' and having a problem. Playing video games for 12 hours a day for a month straight is indicative of a serious mental health problem, and I don't say this as a joke or an insult.

Think about it: 24 hours in a day. Slash that in half from the top due to game time. That's 12 hours per day NOT gaming. The average human being sleeps approximately 8 hours per day, but for the sake of charity let's assume 6 hours. That only leaves a person with 6 hours of each day (likely less than that) doing things other than gaming and sleeping. That's only ~6 hours per day spent doing normal, productive things.

I like gaming, but I know a problem when I see one. When my gaming was at its heaviest, I was deeply depressed and had substantial mental health problems.

Personally I feel like there's so many better ways to spend one's time than sitting in front of a screen vegging out. I work, go to school part time, make various kinds of art, read, play other types of games IRL (poker, D&D), do household chores, AND game. I just think it's weird how a lot of people with gaming problems would rather invest more time into 'leveling up' their f@#!ing video game character than 'leveling up' their real life. I can understand being an obsessive gamer somewhat if you're a kid/teenager, but as an adult? No way.

As I said, I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here, I'm actually genuinely mildly concerned. People these days need to get away from the computers and tablets and game systems and interact with real life more often.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version