Forums > Other worms games

S2K's WA-to-WormsDC Conversion Project [LATEST UPDATE: 2021-02-17]

<< < (2/3) > >>

Squirminator2k:
In extracting the maps from WA and WWP, I've made a fun discovery: There's over 100 of the buggers! I've split them into separate categories.

There are some maps, particularly in WWP, that are for single-purpose gimmick missions and I'm honestly having a hard time deciding whether to include those or not. On one hand, the completionist in me thinks it's worth doing. On the other hand, you couldn't actually play a game on these maps.

I suspect I'll skip them.

Squirminator2k:
Yesterday I completed and uploaded the archives for the WA maps. Late last night, however, I caught a pretty glaring error with TWOSHOES.WRM16. I've just fixed and reuploaded - if you downloaded it last night, I recommend redownloading it today.

Also, fun fact: If you're not an Amiga user but still want to see how the maps look after downscaling, download the WA Maps .zip archive, extract it somewhere, add .iff to the end of the filename, and the images will open in PhotoShop. I actually corrected the error in PhotoShop without even needing to switch on my Amiga. :D

Squirminator2k:
I decided to have a quick peek at the maps for Worms United. Some discoveries:

MOUNTAINS
They all have mountain sets! I had entirely forgotten that. Unfortunately, Worms Utd's mountain dimensions are entirely different from WormsDC's, which I already kind of knew from converting the mountains for the MONEY terrain, but yikes! I have to choose between drastically changing how the mountains work for WormsDC, or just abandoning them entirely... but the fact that the few maps from Utd that Team17 converted themselves for DC included a mountain set means I'd want to go after that uniformity. So the Worms Utd stuff is definitely going to take longer than everything else. Yikes!

DIMENSIONS
A standard Amiga Worms/WormsDC map is 960x350px. This is 50px shorter than the maps in Worms Utd. For the most part, I don't think this presents a problem - there's usually enough space at the top or bottom that cropping isn't an issue. There are a couple of maps, however, where this isn't going to be possible, so I have to make some hard choices. That Windows 95 map, for example! I would probably have to lose some of the icons at the top of the map, and if I do that is it still the same map? Again, this is something that's going to require a lot more work than the WA maps, which after resizing are actually only 2px shorter than the WormsDC mapsize.

Squirminator2k:
WWP Training + Time Trial maps have been uploaded! I put these through a more rigorous conversion process, in part because... well, Team17 cut a lot of corners making maps for WWP, and making sure they were 100% accurate and authentic downscales was a Process™.

h3oCharles:
im dumb, i meant WormsDC-to-WA, edited

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version