Forums > Other worms games

S2K's WA-to-WormsDC Conversion Project [LATEST UPDATE: 2021-02-17]

(1/3) > >>

Squirminator2k:
Do you love the wacky, cartoony terrains, maps and speechbanks of WA but wish you could experience them in a 1st-gen Worms game? Well, wish no more! Presenting S2K'S WA-to-WormsDC Conversion Project, which aims to take every single one of those lovely assets and downscale them for use in Worms: The Director's Cut on the Amiga.

As well as working to convert all of the 2nd-gen assets, I was also able to convert the two terrain styles that never made the jump from the PC version of the original Worms/Worms Utd. - CANDY and MONEY. These are also available to download.

CURRENT STATUS

* Speechbanks: 100% complete
* Terrains and Mountains: 100% complete
* WA Maps: 100% complete
* WA Screensaver Maps: 100% complete
* Worms World Party Maps - Single + Multiplayer Missions: 100% complete
* Worms World Party Maps - Training + Time Trials: 100% complete
* Worms United Maps: 0% complete - not yet begun
REQUIREMENTS

* An AGA Amiga - A1200, A4000, or an expanded CD32.

* Note that an accelerator board is likely required - these have not been tested on an unexpanded Amiga.
* WormsDC must be installed on the Amiga's hard drive - these files cannot be added to the floppy disk version.
* (Yes, these files work fine in an emulator - I recommend using the latest version of WinUAE in an AGA A1200 configuration with extra Fast RAM. The files will also work in FS-UAE and Amiga Forever.)
DOWNLOAD LINK

All completed assets are available in both .zip and .LhA format, and can be downloaded [here]

INSTRUCTIONS

* For the terrains and maps, simply unpack the archive into your WORMSDC drawer on your Amiga's hard drive.
* For the speechbanks, unpack the archive into your WORMSDC/TWSAMPLES drawer on your Amiga's hard drive.
CREDITS

* Original assets by Team17
* Worms United assets originally extracted by nizikawa
* Downscaling and conversion by Squirminator2k
* CONVERT (MS-DOS tool used to convert .WAV sounds to .IFF format) created by Jesus Villena
* Special thanks to Andy Davidson
ANY QUESTIONS?

Feel free to post any questions you may have in the thread below, I will do my best to answer them!

Squirminator2k:
Fun aside: For completeness' sake, I wanted to do a speechbank using the effects from WWP Remastered, but CONVERT chokes on those files and spits out insanely huge IFFs. I have no idea what Team17 did, but those are some janky WAV files.

I think they just repurposed the same sound effects they used in Worms Reloaded so I might be able to snag 'em from there, but blimey.

h3oCharles:
after you complete this, do you plan on converting the other way? WormsDC-to-WA?

--- Quote from: Squirminator2k on February 08, 2021, 07:23 AM ---I think they just repurposed the same sound effects they used in Worms Reloaded so I might be able to snag 'em from there, but blimey.

--- End quote ---
either WWPR or WRev, either way, they are indeed duplicates from some newer games

Squirminator2k:

--- Quote from: TheMadCharles on February 08, 2021, 07:05 PM ---after you complete this, do you plan on converting the other way? WA-to-WormsDC?
--- End quote ---
I've actually already done some of that, kind-of! I took the WormsDC version of the English speechbank and converted the files to .WAV, and that's been up to download on Dream17 for a while. I believe someone may have uploaded that here too (which some edits, it would seem - not too keen on that).

I also recreated the WormsDC gravestone, so I used that! Can't remember if I ever shared that one.

Converting the color maps the other way 'round is a neat idea. Some of the maps are just downscaled versions of maps from Worms United though, so it might be better to convert from there, TBH.

--- Quote from: TheMadCharles on February 08, 2021, 07:05 PM ---
--- Quote from: Squirminator2k on February 08, 2021, 07:23 AM ---I think they just repurposed the same sound effects they used in Worms Reloaded so I might be able to snag 'em from there, but blimey.

--- End quote ---
either WWPR or WRev, either way, they are indeed duplicates from some newer games

--- End quote ---
I'll have to do some digging. I checked Reloaded, but all of those sounds are compacted in a file format I'm too lazy to try and crack open. Honestly, I'm not particularly feeling a need to do the WWPR sounds, it was mostly a completeness' thing.

Squirminator2k:
The WA screensaver maps are now 100% converted, and have been uploaded for download!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version