Forums > Schemes

Weapon balance ideas for intermediate?

<< < (2/5) > >>

rUNaW4y:

--- Quote from: jattaman on February 12, 2023, 10:18 AM ---Hello
I'm not knowledgable about worm history, but did Intermediate stay the same throughout all the years?
I started playing online and people seem to play the same exact thing I've seen on my first copy of game on PSX.

Or did community introduce some balanced schemes, but they never beat the original in popularity?

I know that later there were Pro and Elite schemes that nerfed cluster bomb,(and oddly Pro has grenade buffed, anyone know why?), but from my experience noone wants to play them since they introduce worm placement and people don't have time for that.

--- End quote ---

Why do you consider the historical intermediate version unbalanced? Can you please provide further details about your issues?

FoxHound:

--- Quote from: h3oCharles on February 21, 2023, 08:26 PM ---it's a very delicate balancing act, cuz as soon as you touch something, then something stupid is about to happen... kinda like trying to change counter-strike's mechanics

--- End quote ---

I think Intermediate is easy to balance compared to other schemes, specially RubberWorm/Extended Scheme Options ones.

Snooker was very hard to balance. Months of testings.
Flat Earth Apocalypse was very hard too. Crates cannot increase the health way too much and must still help you survive for longer. Considering that 1-6 players can play.
No Jumping by Kredens was probably very hard to balance too.
There are other schemes such as Drive for Weapons that to make the map work well without easy shortcuts or serious problems is very hard.

I gave a break from a scheme that is being hard to balance the map with the scheme too and is also based on WFW.
Some schemes sbs made probably were hard to balance too.

Even Jet Pack War that doesn't require so special maps was not so easy to balance.

Goku Battle Arena took some time to balance probably.

Usually schemes with huge flood or with Health Crates, Multishot, complex physics modifications are difficult to balance. Weapon and utility crates can be complicated to balance too, e.g. in Kaos-like schemes.

FoxHound:

--- Quote from: rUNaW4y on February 21, 2023, 09:27 PM ---Why do you consider the historical intermediate version unbalanced? Can you please provide further details about your issues?

--- End quote ---

Intermediate is balanced. But to play it in a different way, when you modify it you need to consider a lot of things. For example, changing the worms health can make some weapons become stronger or weaker. I think shotgun in intermediate can be used almost in all turns which makes the game more repetitive, predictable and boring. I'm saying this, but I know the Shotgun can make magic and is very versatile with its secrets. I think too many ropes make players easy access the entire map and drop weapons on the head of the worm. Less ropes makes the game rely on more caution, save ammo, do not fall, more artillery. You have to think a lot. I understand that rope knocks make some incredible moves and can surprise a lot. But I still prefer to play with less ropes.

FoxHound:
Two other things that really bothers me in Intermediate:

1 HP sudden death. For me it was mainly designed to defeat CPU5, resisting the perfect shots to have a chance in SD. For who is winning is a bit frustrating when this happens specially when players don't have a notion when it will start. Who is losing will try to Darkside the whole game until it starts. I don't like this.

Too slow water rising. In cave games that players wait the water to reach the top of the map to use homing weapons, it's torture to wait that long, with 45 seconds of turn time. Also, I think the rise is not so impactful while in game after so much time waiting for the Sudden death. To the water rise slowly, SD should start way earlier.

jattaman:
Thank you for all of your replies.

I have a question, which intermediate version is loaded when using hostingbuddy !host intermediate? or !host normal? Majority of people on wormnet use this from what I seen, I think.

--- Quote from: rUNaW4y on February 21, 2023, 09:27 PM ---
--- Quote from: jattaman on February 12, 2023, 10:18 AM ---Hello
I'm not knowledgable about worm history, but did Intermediate stay the same throughout all the years?
I started playing online and people seem to play the same exact thing I've seen on my first copy of game on PSX.

Or did community introduce some balanced schemes, but they never beat the original in popularity?

I know that later there were Pro and Elite schemes that nerfed cluster bomb,(and oddly Pro has grenade buffed, anyone know why?), but from my experience noone wants to play them since they introduce worm placement and people don't have time for that.

--- End quote ---

Why do you consider the historical intermediate version unbalanced? Can you please provide further details about your issues?

--- End quote ---

Foxhound already said about 1HP sudden death and shotgun and I share his reasons for why I dislike these. From my side, I want to also mention the cluster bomb and mortar "tricks". I just feel that it's not what these weapons were meant to do, hence I'm calling it "unbalanced" at 3 stars power, but it's a matter of preference I think. I also don't like how some teams are sometime totally screwed with random placement - and me and my friends sometimes don't have time for playing many rounds or for worm placement - this was my main inspiration to create an intermediate variation of my own.

I think that, all in all, worms armageddon is a symmetrical game. It's not assymetrical, like let's say, starcraft or age of empires - where every player is given different means to achieve victory. Every balance change in a symmetrical game can be rejected with argument "you can do the same" or "you play under the same circumstances" :D

Luck in crates is another topic touching "balance" - I think that worms without crates doesn't feel the same, but I perfectly understand why people play intermediate without crates at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version