Forums > TUS Discussion

More map categories

<< < (3/4) > >>

TheKomodo:

--- Quote from: FoxHound on July 29, 2021, 06:22 AM ---
--- Quote from: Komito on July 27, 2021, 12:32 PM ---That's why the "Misc" category exists.

--- End quote ---

I don't think "miscelaneous" is the same thing as an "original new concepts" category. Both should exist. Miscelaneous would be maps that can be used for any scheme, memes, maps that are jokes or protests, etc. Original new concepts would unite all the schemes of this list and the others I missed that didn't reach the filter number.

--- End quote ---

Wow, you went hard there on the word miscellaneous! Poor miscellaneous! :D

I'm not sure why you have such a negative association with the word?

Your suggestion is for "Original New Concepts" and "Miscellaneous" to do the exact same thing if you put 200 maps scattered across 130 different schemes into either?

Miscellaneous just means it consists of various types, having various qualities, which is perfectly true.

"Original New Concepts" is an inaccurate category for maps of various and mixed schemes, especially when you take into consideration the following:

* Some of the schemes are not original, they are simply remixes and alternate versions of others.
* Many of the schemes are not new, they have existed for over a decade.
* The word concept itself means it is an idea, a though, a prototype of sorts.
* Some of the maps are for existing categories, or for multiple categories, or the uploader either wasn't sure which category to use, or didn't care.
* Some of the maps are made without the intention of being for any scheme, like my "By Komito By Komito" map for example.
So in the end, the word "Misc" short for "Miscellaneous" is accurate and fitting.

Edit - Decided to go for bullet point instead lol.

FoxHound:
Okay, I'm not against Miscelaneous category and I was not very precise with "original new concepts". What I meant to say is that I often go to Misc. category in WMDB and there are many maps which are not maps for alternative/different schemes. So it is not that useful for me who thinks that it would be so much better if all these schemes were united in a single cathegory. In WMDB it is more useful to search for the "Original" tag, but there are many maps designed for unique different ideas that are not tagged as "Original".

In my opinion it is better to have both Miscelaneous category and a category for other different, alternative or unique ideas. I would prefer it as a category than searching for the "original tag". People would easily click and see the interesting ideas. And the other random maps would still be available in "misc." category.

h3oCharles:
how about this:
1. generic island
2. generic cave
3. new scheme

FoxHound:

--- Quote from: TheMadCharles on July 31, 2021, 10:06 PM ---how about this:
1. generic island
2. generic cave
3. new scheme

--- End quote ---

Do you mean these 3 itens would replace the Misc. Category? Or are these 3 itens tags? I think that any stimulus to people create new schemes is welcome. And I agree that it is useful to find caves or islands if these tags or categories be implemented. TUS allows .bit and .lev maps, TUS permits black and white maps too (an advantage over WMDB), so it would be good to filter normal maps.

FoxHound:

--- Quote from: MonkeyIsland on July 27, 2021, 05:56 AM ---Well we could set a minimum number of required maps for a category. Obviously if a category has only 1 map or 2, it doesn't need to exist separately. How many maps do you think should be the minimum requirement?

--- End quote ---

Okay, now that I discovered way more than 138 schemes, and considering that TUS still has almost the same categories as WMDB, it would be cool to have at least a few more categories. Not sure if this is planned for TUS 3.0 or if it can happen in TUS 2.0, but I keep missing more categories.

I still don't have a good number to suggest, but if only one more category be added, that would be great already.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version