Forums > Promotion Project

A Spiritual Successor to W:A

(1/22) > >>

Bamboy:
Current build for this project can be downloaded here: https://bamboy.itch.io/asteroidians

Greetings, fellow wormers.
I have been hard at work since the 1st of March programming a spiritual successor to W:A in Unity3D. Our working title as of now is 'Asteroidians', and the game takes place on an asteroid that is sinking into a star.

I have always loved W:A over other worms games but it has its share of problems that we are aiming to fix. The most important being accessibility for new players. A veteran and a newbie should be able to sit down together and both be able enjoy the game equally. However this is not an easy task to accomplish without also damaging the depth and variety that gives W:A its extensive replay value for veterans. I am hoping to get ideas from the W:A community about how this could be accomplished.

Another MAJOR thing that is specifically important for myself in this project is all the customization and features that W:A includes,  except tenfold. The other day I regarded the project as much as a tool as a game. Worms Unlimited has been a useful resource for ideas thus far.

Critical aspects of W:A we are looking to preserve, and features we want to include:

* Worm Physics
* Roping
* Large number of worms/teams
* Weapon Variety (+More of it)
* Smaller explosions so the big ones feel devastating
* Customization (Schemes, teams, exc)
* Importing PNG as maps
* Pre-placement of worms/teams/objects on maps.
* Online play (AI for single player will probably be an after thought)
We also are thinking about implementing a "buildables" type game style where you have the option to build something every turn as well as attack. These buildables, for example, would be in the form of being able to place a girder and fire a weapon in the same turn. We are hoping that this would develop a more interesting attack/defend style gameplay. As of all things, this would only consist as a scheme and could be toggled off in your created schemes. We are also playing with the idea of a more accessible mario-style movement system, which would also be swappable with the classic movement.

The project so far is very much still in early development. Functional gameplay as of now includes the basic team rotations, bazooka and grenade, terrain deformation, and randomized level generation.
Here's a video I threw together real quick. Note that all W:A sprites are placeholders and will be removed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8OU-npvyPU
I also stream my development on this project early mornings PST. https://www.twitch.tv/bamboy360

We are potentially looking for 2D artists and maybe C# programmers. If you are interested send me a PM with some links to stuff you're proud of. Although if you do not possess these skills then ideas and comments are also very appreciated. I want this project to be something that evolves and responds to the community's feedback.

TheWalrus:
Awesome!  If only T17 was like minded!  If I can help in any way let me know, unfortunately im not a programmer, but i have  been around the online community since the very beginning.  GL with the project!

Bamboy:

--- Quote from: TheWalrus on March 19, 2016, 01:11 AM ---If only T17 was like minded!

--- End quote ---
My thought precisely.  ;D

Kradie:
I am glad that there are committed and passionate people out there, that are willing to make a spiritual successor of Worms Armageddon. Perhaps I can be one of them, if you wish for my assistance within the development of music & voice, I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

Regardless of the matter, I wish you the very best with this project!

h3oCharles:
You might want to see Hedgewars. Not only it's open source, there is way too much potential to it and too much lazy and missing devs that you might do something too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version