Forums > General discussion

Activating Stretch in windowed mode on 3.8

(1/2) > >>

StepS:
With 3.8 there is a (currently undocumented) feature to stretch or shrink the in-game window to appear different from the display resolution.

* Open the registry editor (Win+R -> regedit.exe)
* Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Team17SoftwareLTD\WormsArmageddon\Options (paste into the address bar if using Windows 10)
* Create two REG_DWORD values named WindowXSize and WindowYSize.
* Edit these values in mode to the size values you want* (e.g. 3840x2160). A common use would be to stretch to the desktop res borderless, so you can specify your desktop resolution.
* Check and/or edit DisplayXSize and DisplayYSize, this is the actual internal resolution and the one you see in game options. This resolution will be stretched or shrunk to the Window size you specified earlier. Shrinking a higher-resolution to a window of smaller size is actually new and was not possible in D3D9Wnd. So, for example, you can set a 1920x1080 game to run downscaled in a smaller window with borders.
In the future both of these should become more accessible in the game interface.

Note that this does not apply to the menus and for that SuperFrontendHD is currently required.

Another thing to mention is that super-resolution is already supported and you do not need to explicitly specify WindowX/YSize for it. So, if you set the game or video export to something higher than your desktop res, it will automatically be shrunk to fit the desktop. The aspect ratio will be preserved, unlike in D3D9Wnd.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This DOES NOT WORK with OpenGL renderers. They do not support scaling/stretching of any kind. You need to use a Direct3D 9 renderer for this. (DDraw works but is not visually good in my experience)

* Size of the window's client area, excluding the border.

h3oCharles:
can i have 720 upscaled to 1080p tho?

note to self: yes, i can, run game at 720p, and set display x/y size to 1080p

Mega`Adnan:
I am trying to set up WA with taskbar visible on 1920x1080 screen.
I tried to make WA windows stretched to 1920x1030 (50px for taskbar, I've checked with Photoshop), but it seems like the stretched windows is being set in middle of screen but not from top.
I wanna make sure it's being set from top of screen without the top bar being seen.
I wanna do the same for frontend too.

[attachment=1]

[attachment=2]

h3oCharles:
gonna necro this to say that apparently this used incorrectly can backfire by framerate hitching like crazy
apparently, i was trying to stretch 1080p to 1440p, while i had my resolution set to 1080p

because of this, to ease my way into switching between the resolutions, i made registry edit files
the two examples ill provide is for 1080p and 1440p, the resolution dimensions are written in hex

the most notable usecase i found for this is setting game to 720p and stretching it to 1440p, with a 1440p custom resolution using nvidia drivers - making every pixel 2x in size
it is especially useful for figuring out nudging and notching - an essential skill for figuring out precise shots

Lollie:
I was just pointed this way by h3o, thank you for sharing this! I wanted a way to scale the in-game resolution by 2X (1280x720 in-game, to fit a 2560x1440 screen), and this solved it. Hopefully a future W:A update isn't too far away.

After setting this up, I noticed that the frontend menu was now displaying in a 1280x720 window despite having SuperFrontendHD installed. If anyone else is encountering this, open your Worms Armageddon installation folder, and edit the file "wkSuperFrontend.ini" in Notepad/++. Under [Misc], look for (or if missing, add the line) "Resolution=" and set it to "Resolution=Desktop". This will force the frontend to run at fullscreen resolution again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version