Forums > General discussion

Any logical reason why someone dislikes custom terrain?

(1/8) > >>

Sensei:
I'm really interested in hearing this. Ofc there are good and bad custom terrains, but same goes for those ~30 game terrains that are there since '99.

Curious what's the reasoning behind refusing to play terrain just because it wasn't in the game 20+ yrs ago. Even more curious about how many of you are there?

TheKomodo:
I'm guessing this is due to my comments during the BnG there? If not, I've explained there.

For me though, I only dislike them from a strictly competitive perspective.

At the highest level of, pretty much any game, it's not the mechanical skills that win games, it's knowing the environment in and out perfectly.

In most sports and games, strategy and memory, knowing your environment more than your opponent, is what wins games.

I'm happy to play funners with pre-made BnG maps and also custom terrains.

The reason why I don't like it, or will ever support it, is because allowing custom terrains means anyone can make their own terrain and master it, then use this to get an advantage over their opponents.

If, as I said on stream, 1 new custom terrain was added to the game officially, that would be fine.

If you aren't at that highest level, then everything I've just said isn't really valid to you.

This entire game, and almost any other game on the planet, memorizing EVERYTHING about it is important.

So yeah, the shape of objects is something players can memorise so they can control their game better, which makes for better shots and turns from everything, which makes it more impressive.

So yes, someone like me, who used to practise teleporting on objects of the most popular terrains in BnG to find out where I have to place to get the right banks/transfers etc, is actually something that's very useful.

That's why I allow custom terrains to be played in the AoA Cup, most of the players enjoy it, and none of them have an issue against it.

As a player though, I'd never willingly ever play on them in competitive games.

Funners though! I love them!

Edit - Just to make it absolutely clear, I never ever said I don't like custom terrains in general, just prefer NOT to use them in official matches for Leagues etc(Unless it's a Cup where that's the novelty).

Also, it depends on the scheme a lot too. There are many schemes where terrain doesn't matter at all.

In BnG though, it's VERY important to master the environments.

The more there are, the longer that takes.

Neither option is bad, it's just what we value as the best kind of competitional environment.

Sensei:

--- Quote from: TheKomodo on February 09, 2024, 09:44 PM ---The reason why I don't like it, or will ever support it, is because allowing custom terrains means anyone can make their own terrain and master it, then use this to get an advantage over their opponents.

--- End quote ---

?

You realize custom terrain is same thing as any other terrain in W:A, right!?
They're generated in game. Same as -forest, fruit, time...
What are you on about with "mastering a terrain"? Haha.

TheKomodo:
Cmon Sensei, think about it deeper... The objects are different shapes and sizes.

Sooooo... If you understood what I said...

Objects are more important in BnG than the terrain surface itself.

Sensei:
So you're basically saying custom terrains are bad because you didn't have time to master them?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version