Forums > General discussion

The Rotated League

(1/4) > >>

Ray:
I had this idea for quite a long time now, few people might know about it, I'd now like to present it to the public. What you need to know and understand:

* This is only an idea yet. This is a concept that is not on the workbench yet, it might never make it there. I am gladly accepting ideas or any help of any kind you can offer, if you think this idea is good and you want to take part in the procedure of bringing it to life.
* This league is not meant to be rivalry for The Ultimate Site, my plans are to make my idea come alive and see if it works out.
Why?

"Ray, why do you want to launch a new league when we have The Ultimate Site?"

As I mentioined above: please don't accuse me of trying to "race" with The Ultimate Site, first of all, I don't have the time and resources to do that, second of all, the two concepts are absolutely different, and that is also the answer to the question. It is going to be different.

"Why don't you want MonkeyIsland to implement your idea into The Ultimate Site?"

Because it is different. The Ultimate Site has an enormous amount of features, databases and who knows what else is cooking in MonkeyIsland's kitchen. This idea is not simply an idea for a new type of competition, it is also an idea for a website. Here, the community has a big impact on what is going to happen, while I insist to my own plans and want absolute freedom over what I do, even if this sounds like a tyrannical way of leading a website, but remember that The Ultimate Site was new with this type of attitude towards the community.

The concept (so far)

The website

This is one of the reasons I want it separate from The Ultimate Site. I haven't managed a project of this size before and I need the experience to become better in my job. I have ideas I want to implement and try in a working and used environment.

I want the website to be as clean and clear as possible. I am not going to install and create thousands of features on community requests, the site is going to feature the absolute necessary things one might need.

* There is not going to be a Shoutbox.
* There are not going to be Forums.
* When someone acts as an asshole, the person gets banned. Forever. I don't want to regulate and decide with jurys and discuss something for weeks and base a decision upon that. There are going to be crystal clear rules with crystal clear consequences to when a person breaks these rules.
Once again: this might sounds tyrannical, it might sound like I'm trying to create rivalry against The Ultimate Site, but this is not true. Please, if all you ahve to comment is something like that, just don't bother.

The League

Here's how I imagined it would work: instead of the concept of you play whoever you want whenever you want, I'd make the competition more like any given country's football league. You have the first division, the second, the third... and in a given season, each team - or in this case player - faces everyone else in their division and at the end of the season, the best advances to the next division and the worst goes down a division.

Each season would consist of one month. January, February... are all seasons. Each division would stand of 6 players which means you'd have to play 5 games in a month.

Very clear and strict rules to prevent people not playing their games (without further notice). As I mentioned before, the concept is by far not ready yet, it lacks a very particularly created plan as to what happens in different situations - such as a draw, not playing your games, etc.

But first, I need to know what you think. If 30/30 people say it's shit, I won't bother. Feel free to express your hatred or to ask, think about ideas, I'll accept them all.

Peja:
wow ray, would be awesome to get this done, but activity might be a problem for this league concept. anyway i have been waiting for a concept like this, love the idea with seperate leagues. good motivation reach higher divisions. but how you want to classify the palyers? based on tus rank?

Abnaxus:
Copycat detected.

Ray:

--- Quote from: Peja on December 19, 2011, 04:51 PM ---but how you want to classify the palyers? based on tus rank?

--- End quote ---
This is one of the biggest problems I was dealing with, I am open to any ideas. We are talking about how to put players into divisions in their first season. I had the thought of comparing it to the Classic League overall ranks, but... well, why should one's performance depend on the earlier performance in a different league?

Someone had an idea of just making the first season the same as it is on this site for instance, free for all, but then again, that is the absolute opposite direction what this whole plan is built around.

Maybe the best idea would be to randomly put players into equivalent groups of 6, and after the first season, every single player is sorted based on the number of wins in their season and that's how they get sorted into the divisions for the next season. That is true for only the first season of course.

Oh yea, and I left out that each season is a different scheme, based on the votes of the players. Elite, Team17, BnG, Roper, Rope Race, Shopper.

Random00:
Imo you will have to many games not being played. So I think this concept just doesnt work with worms. Sorry :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version