Forums > General discussion

WMDB's licensing problem - any lawyers in the house?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Anubis:
My maps were actually uploaded without my permission on TUS, I created them but didn't upload them myself. I think it's time to sue TUS... xD

TheKomodo:

--- Quote from: CyberShadow on March 19, 2020, 10:04 AM ---Whether it's likely or not, and whether it goes as far as legal action or just vague threats to take it, having our ducks in a row will help avoid trouble later.

--- End quote ---

Agreed.

Growing up, I always thought(about condoms), it's better to have one and not need it, than need one and not have it :/

Xrayez:
I raised a similar question 2 years ago about TUS maps as well, so as a game developer I'm also concerned.

https://www.tus-wa.com/forums/maps/what-is-the-license-of-uploaded-maps-31692/msg266349/

Having ability to load any kind of map is likely a serious legal issue in and of itself. How can ensure that those maps are not actually distributed by me? For W:A it's not much problem because, well, the activity is quite low and nobody is really aware of such a feature in my opinion. It's a matter of time before someone could take legal action against you... I might be paranoid though. ???

MonkeyIsland:

--- Quote from: Anubis on March 19, 2020, 10:13 AM ---My maps were actually uploaded without my permission on TUS, I created them but didn't upload them myself. I think it's time to sue TUS... xD

--- End quote ---

The W:A starter mappack has over 8k maps, which was originally uploaded by Mablak. If something happens I'm gonna blame it on him xD

--- Quote from: CyberShadow on February 28, 2020, 07:53 PM ---By the way, I think TUS has the same problems, but it's not up to me how TUS wants to address them.

--- End quote ---

TUS does have the same problem. (it also extracts maps from replays uploaded) I'll follow your footsteps on the licensing.

Chicken23:
If there were some legal documents written up (requiring some kind of solicitor service I'd imagine..), could something like DocuSign be using in an uploading process which covers the terms and consent of the map rights to the community/website owner?

It would make uploading maps a bit of a pain in the arse but could be a necessary process? Perhaps in time could be as effective as GDPR/cookie policies?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version