Forums > General discussion

D3D9Wnd 0.7.1.1: Direct3D 9-based windowed mode with multi-monitor support

<< < (24/25) > >>

h3oCharles:
not sure how wine will work for this tbh, as wine wrapper already makes a new window.

cgar:
Yea with the force virtual desktop tweak the frontend becomes a nice moveable window. But its so small. Would love the same 1080p fullscreen frontend like I have on windows.

Any idea what causes the black window over everything? Its so strange.

StepS:

--- Quote from: cgar on November 09, 2018, 04:18 PM ---Yea with the force virtual desktop tweak the frontend becomes a nice moveable window. But its so small. Would love the same 1080p fullscreen frontend like I have on windows.

Any idea what causes the black window over everything? Its so strange.

--- End quote ---
That's because of the design of the frontend menus, called "DXMFC". What happens is that DirectX and MFC work together, where the former renders graphics on the screen, and the latter specifies the layout of buttons, forms and other controls like in a regular Windows application (you can see what the "innards" look like by opening WA.exe in Resource Hacker and opening "Dialog"). However, the result is that there are two windows: the actual graphical window (or DX), and the MFC window over it. Normally, on Windows systems, the MFC window is transparent and never obscures any part of the screen. However, Wine does not perfectly recreate this weird behavior. The result is that with most renderers (except DirectDraw, where it seems to have been implemented specifically for the game), the MFC window appears black and obscures the screen.

On Windows systems that use DWM (Desktop Window Manager) and fake-fullscreen-emulation, starting with Windows 8, another issue can be seen, where the MFC window is transparent, however all forms appear white and cover their graphical counterparts. That was the famous Windows 8/10 bug in 3.6.31.0 that got fixed in 3.7.0.0, although it still manifests itself when running in windowed mode (which D3D9Wnd works around when it's active), and when minimizing/restoring the game in latest Windows 10 updates (with "Fullscreen optimizations" enabled by default), resulting in even more whiteness.

All of these issues have been completely fixed for the next update (3.8.0.0).

cgar:

--- Quote from: StepS on November 09, 2018, 08:18 PM ---That's because of the design of the frontend menus, called "DXMFC". What happens is [...]
All of these issues have been completely fixed for the next update (3.8.0.0).

--- End quote ---

Thank you very much StepS. A very thorough explanation. I had heard rumblings about the upcoming v3.8 release and got exited. If it will also allow me to use D3D9 with wine then I'm extra excited!  :D

StepS:
D3D9Wnd 0.7.1.0 has been released

* Localized error/notification message boxes will now use Unicode to work independently of the system encoding.
* Minor fixes.
D3D9Wnd is now open-source
The full source code of the module, along with Worms Helper Tools (used in WormKit module development), has now been released and is available on GitHub. In addition, two more editions have been released in separate branches: the original simplistic version (now called "D3D9Wnd_naked"), redesigned to work with any Direct3D 9 application, as well as a lightweight edition for WWP Remastered. The wiki page has been updated. You can post your issues, suggestions or patches on GitHub from now on.

D3D9Wnd 0.7.1.1 has been released (April 13, 2019)

* Fixed version range checking code to detect WA.exe versions better. It is recommended, but not necessary, to update.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version