Forums
May 20, 2024, 11:03 PM

Author Topic: Streaming Worms?  (Read 1856 times)

Offline darKz

Streaming Worms?
« on: July 23, 2011, 02:46 AM »
Howdy partners  :),

I've been watching Starcraft 2 streams quite a lot lately and had the idea to stream myself playing some Worms via justin.tv..
In theory it's quite easy. Download Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder, get a plugin, run your game in windowed mode and you're good to go... Yeah that's right, you can only stream games in windowed mode. :( But smart as I am, I got around that issue by using VMware and install Windows XP on a virtual machine. So I got my WA in a nice little window and set up the streaming software.

Then I hosted a game with my desktop PC, joined with my laptop where the streaming software is and started streaming... Generally you could say it worked, but I got a major problem... See for yourself, the stream is lagging - you can still see some recent broadcasts there, I was just playing around.

Notice that the stream runs at around 15 fps at some parts, and at around 2 fps on other parts. I can't figure out what the problem is, I was literally doing nothing with my laptop while broadcasting, I closed everything except the virtual machine and the streaming software, yet it still drops frames and is generally just slow.

So my questions are, does anyone know what the problem could be? I think it could be either my processor (Mobile Core 2 Duo, 2x 2.13GHz) or my internet connection (1 Mbit upstream) but the latter one is rather unlikely. Does anyone wanna try this for himself? I can give advice if needed. And finally, can anyone think of a different way to run WA in windowed mode than running a virtual machine?

Any help is appreciated, I'd really like to do this because I'm curious about the viewers' reaction. It might even boost the WA player count by a bit if it's successful.

Cheers. :)
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline nino

Re: Streaming Worms?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 03:00 AM »
mate, when i bought the my macbook, i tried run worms in a virtual machine with xp, and this sucked hard, i had to much lags even playing defaults, it was really umplayable tbh, i dunno why tho.

so maybe ur problem is the same, the virtual machine =/
You Are Losing Time Reading my Signature.

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 06:06 AM »
pr had suggested streaming for worms before. I remember he was trying a lot and he even told me about windowed mode.
The last thing he told me was that you need a powerful PC to be able to stream fine. According to that, it must be your processor.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 06:18 AM »
Maybe you can try with a second computer connected by ssh -X in the first one.

Offline Joschi

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 08:01 AM »
I still miss the "delete post" button  :P

Sorry, I didn't read your first post carefully. I thought you need help at streaming generally. But all I could have suggested, you already did.

All I can suggest you is to ask kalababa for help, he taught me streaming too. And for me it works, though I've done the same way like you did.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 08:07 AM by Joschi »

Offline darKz

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 10:12 AM »
Marc, what's that ssh -X thing and how does it work? I've googled it and if it's Secure Shell I'm not sure how it helps me. :D

Joschi, out of curiosity, what kind of processor does your PC have? It's really the only thing I can think of... Except I messed some setting up, but I played around with settings so much it's almost impossible. :<
~ Dubc 2010

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 10:22 AM »
yep it is sir :p.
you connect to the main pc with ssh and get the screen with -X. it'll be like vmware but with your main pc :).
I didn't try it on windows. But I used to do it with my old computer.
Problem is you don't have sound. You'll need to tunnel esd in ssh and will give you lot of latency.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 10:30 AM by zippeurfou »

Offline darKz

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 10:57 AM »
yep it is sir :p.
you connect to the main pc with ssh and get the screen with -X. it'll be like vmware but with your main pc :).
I didn't try it on windows. But I used to do it with my old computer.
Problem is you don't have sound. You'll need to tunnel esd in ssh and will give you lot of latency.

Will this work in a window on my laptop? If so, I think this should eat a lot less CPU then, might try it...

Edit: I've been reading about SSH -X now but can't really figure out what to do. Can you explain it to me please? :P
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 01:04 PM by darKz »
~ Dubc 2010

Offline nino

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 01:50 PM »
i think i got an idea, but u'd need 2 pcs for this.

download ultravnc and then ull be able to "see"the screen of other computer by connecting on the other computer with the lan IP adress. I think this could work dunno tho, just an idea ae.

Offline darKz

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 01:53 PM »
Yeah I guess I could try with a remote control tool. Does UltraVNC show the other PCs screen in a window putinho?

My worries about my CPU being too weak weren't for nothing by the way, Joschi is running with 4 CPUs.
~ Dubc 2010

Offline Aerox

• ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

• Spain Spain
  • KH KH clan

• :::::::::::::::::::::
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 01:59 PM »
you could try streaming from the replay files opened in a different computer.

it would give you some delay but   ::)
MonkeyIsland, my friend, I know your english is terrible and your understanding of society limited. However, in real life, people attack and humiliate others without the use of a single bad word. They even go to war with lengthy politeness. You can't base the whole moderation philosophy of a community based on the use of bad words and your struggle with sarcasm and irony. My attack to Jonno was fully justified and of proper good taste.
Eat a bag full of dicks.

Offline nino

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 01:59 PM »
ye m8, it shows in a window.

Offline darKz

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 02:09 PM »
ropa the point is, I need WA in a window, it doesn't matter if it's a virtual machine or the remote control view from a different PC, if I don't have a windowed version of WA I can't stream it.

I'll try it later or tomorrow with that remote control tool then, thanks nino. :)
~ Dubc 2010

Offline nino

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 02:24 PM »
np ae. u r welcome putinho

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 03:36 PM »
Well it's not that easy check this:

nino idea does the same but seems easier :)
Good luck