Forums
May 03, 2024, 08:05 PM

Author Topic: [HOWTO] Using AutoHotkey with W:A  (Read 3768 times)

Offline Tomi

[HOWTO] Using AutoHotkey with W:A
« on: September 23, 2013, 12:47 PM »
Hi!

I'd like to share a HOWTO thread with you to present how to use the AutoHotkey program to remap the keys of your keyboard. The best thing is that AutoHotkey will replace the keys you want only if Worms: Armageddon is running! It won't be a long post, because it is really easy to make AHK working. I hope a thread like this doesn't already exists, if yes then this one can be deleted. I got this solution from Statik.

1. Download and install the AutoHotkey software from http://www.autohotkey.com.
2. After the installation start the program if it is not started already. You can find the program near your clock, a green icon with a 'H' letter.
3. Right click on it and choose "Edit This Script".
4. Notepad opens the default script. You can delete everything from the script to write your own one.
Here is my script:
Code: [Select]
#IfWinActive Worms2D
RCtrl::space
RWin::space
RShift::F8

The first row is important. It means that the script will take affect only if Worms: Armageddon is running.
The other rows looks like this: KeyA::KeyB. It means that if you press KeyA then KeyB will be pressed.
So you can replace your keys like this as you wish. The list of the key names can be found here: http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/KeyList.htm

5. Save the file.
6. Right click on AutoHotkey icon near your clock and choose Reload This Script.
7. You are done.

ps.: You will need to write your script only once ofc ;)

Offline l7cx1Cl

Re: [HOWTO] Using AutoHotkey with W:A
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 12:50 PM »
Awesome. Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 12:59 PM by l7cx1Cl »

Offline Husk

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 12:55 PM »
nevermind xD

Offline Turko

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 01:14 PM »
Autohotkey is considered cheat isnt it?

Asbest`FAW> after match I will complain to ffie 
MOD`Dmitry> ok i too 
TdC--Turko> and ill get a lawyer

Spoiler! View

TdC''Turko> When will you fix your pc?
TaG'G> Never
TaG'G> Or maybe next week

Offline Hussar

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 01:26 PM »
I was used this program be4 as key remaper but something is wrong with him,

i changed ahk for "KeyExtender" and now i see then my control is way better !!!!

am so happy then i did it coz i back now to good shape  8)

i wont recomend AHK as key remaper to anyone ! srsly leave it Tomi
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 01:59 PM by Berria »

Offline Masta

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 01:33 PM »
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 06:36 PM by Masta »

Offline Fenice

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 03:19 PM »
Finger roll in spacebar FTW!

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 06:59 PM »
@Turko
using autohotkey for simple remaps is allowed, however using autohotkey in such away that it allows you to press one space while another is being held down is against the rules :)

Which part of your script is simple, exactly? :D

I really don't like it that keyboard remapping has become synonymous with making the game easier for yourself by bringing all the relevant roping keys close together (and having several spacebars in case of "finger rollers" who don't know what finger rolling is). Ten years ago, literally the only acceptable use of it was to switch to a different key after you managed to break your natural spacebar and didn't want to buy a new keyboard.

I wonder what will pass for "not cheating" in another ten years...

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 07:39 PM »
you probably wouldn't see my awesome rr turns without key remap... I doubt that big space is good for fast taps even on my 100$ kb other keys are more soft, I don't see anything bad, because all spacebars are different...

edit: remap didn't make my life easier (at least in rr, cuz there is rope only), I just want keys to react as fast as possible, and small soft keys do it better

edit#2: I think the developers of this game tried to choose the best positions for weapon keys so players could access them easily. It worked for Intermediate, but I believe they would make special keys for rope and chute if they would release WA: TTRR game :D Players with better timing & skills should have advantage rather than players with long fingers
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 07:45 PM by Statik »

dt`wreckz: zooks are effected my win

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 08:15 PM »
I know, I get all that, I just wanted to say that in a time when the community at large was a little more purist about this, the danger of something that definitely crosses the line between not cheating and cheating (like that Brazilian AHK script or notching/kamikaze rulers) becoming the norm was less. The history of WormNet teaches us that if every player gets to decide for themselves what should and what shouldn't count as one of the skills that WA tests, we will eventually get in a wild west situation where the only thing that matters is being more clever than your opponent, without any restrictions. In the past at least, this is where leagues stepped in and made it very clear what goes and what doesn't.

Offline StepS

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 06:05 AM »
this makes me want to dig into wkKeyRemap on my own
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 30 2013 23:59:49 <StepS> you need it to be actually bigger
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline avirex

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 02:32 PM »
when you dig into it steps, please dont release any corrupt scripts.

Offline StepS

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 06:41 PM »
when you dig into it steps, please dont release any corrupt scripts.
scripts? it's no scripts buddy, only W:A's own keyboard code. We only work on the native level  ;)
Dec 30 2013 23:59:44 <StepS> windowed mode isn't the only thing you need about frontend
Dec 31 2013 00:00:13 <StepS> it actually is very small on my 15-inch full HD screen
Dec 31 2013 00:00:25 <StepS> while running at 640x480 or stretched mode makes it fuzzy
Dec 31 2013 00:00:44 <StepS> this problem has been around since the Worms Armageddon's release and no one has even tried to beat it
[...]

Offline avirex

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 12:16 AM »
people tend to call them scripts, i have no idea about that shit... none of it strikes my interest.

Offline StepS

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 11:01 AM »
people tend to call them scripts
really? wormkit modules = scripts? I'd like to hear more from such people
[...]