Forums
May 16, 2024, 08:45 AM

Author Topic: Playoff Regulations  (Read 3706 times)

Offline Chicken23

Re: Playoff Regulations
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 06:57 PM »
Personally I think if you care THAT MUCH about reaching playoffs, just reset your rank every season...

Or spend the time reaching the top 4.

Your choice.

We disallowed resetting your rank if it was over 1000 to prevent people from taking an easy route into playoffs on seasonal points.

Also trying to get into the top 4 spots for overall is not easy. Its easier to get into the top 4 seasonal points if your a newcommer. When your overall rank gets into the top 15 its hard to get enough seasonal points for a PO spot, or get into the top 4. Its most likely that 5th overall is a better allrounder and player than the 4th seasonal player! He may have had a better season with a better winning precentage and still miss out on playoffs.

Offline Ray

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 08:08 PM »
2. You shouldnt be able to reach POs with just being good at 1 or 2 schemes. (means you win 85%+ at these schemes and have like 50% winnings in the other schemes)
That is actually a really nice thought. The league is all-around after all, so I would love to see what happens if the PO qualifications required 60% winning percentage in each scheme!

Personally I think if you care THAT MUCH about reaching playoffs, just reset your rank every season...
You cannot reset your rank every season, since we had similar cheap incident in the past, and now you cannot reset if your rank is higher than 1000.

Or spend the time reaching the top 4.
I think currently Random is the best player around and even he could not manage it in the last season... ;)

Let me sort of sum up the ideas that I love in this topic and I support (and seemingly the majority does):

1. Showing the overall ranks as default. I would put that to a separate link, with no Time Machine in the corner and no pages, just showing all the players based on the overall standings. A link called Ladder maybe, or something else.

2. Increasing the length of the season to 60 days and the number of Play-off participants to 16, with 12 players qualified by the seasonal points and 4 players by the overall.

3. Include the restriction of winning percentage for each scheme, as mentioned above.

4. One week for each round of the PO, with a nice counter. Also, I wouldn't show the PO participants of the current season by default, rather the previous season's PO, and since the counter and the more strict rules would make it sure that the PO finishes within a month, there is no point showing how the next PO would look like, because not enough players meet the requirements until that point anyway, or it's very likely to change.

Offline darKz

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 10:54 PM »
2. Increasing the length of the season to 60 days and the number of Play-off participants to 16, with 12 players qualified by the seasonal points and 4 players by the overall.
That's gonna be a temporary solution though, same shit different colour in the long run. :)
I remember knowing who it was but dont remember exactly what I knew
~ Dubc 2010

Offline Ray

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 11:00 PM »
I'm not so sure about that, I remember that the season length was changed to 45 days from 60 days because at the beginning of the season, players achieved high ranks and then didn't play, as a result, in the last 2-3 weeks the league was dead basically. Now the reason for that was they reached PO positions and they didn't want to let them go out from their hands.

With this solution, I think both problems get solved.

Offline darKz

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 11:25 PM »
Yeah but what I'm saying is that with more seasonal playoffs ranks it's going to be the same sooner or later, that people with high overall ratings who deserve playoffs much more are being left out because they can't reach them per seasonal rating. :) And that's IMO the biggest flaw about the current system.
~ Dubc 2010

Online MonkeyIsland

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2010, 04:29 AM »
12 overall and 4 seasonal seems better. But doesn't it make the PO in each season kinda with the same people form previous season?
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline darKz

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2010, 05:01 AM »
Yes MI, because the best players in this league won't change every 2 months. League playoffs should only include the best players, makes perfect sense to me. They still need to play 70 games and gotta win a lot to keep their position right?

The point about playoffs qualification is not that it's good to always have different players in the POs, it's that you gotta work hard for your spot - chances are still the same for everyone.
Also, as previous seasons have shown, the top 4 seasonal players are very likely to change every season so it's not always the exact same people in the playoffs.

So my final suggestion would be to change the playoff spots to 4 seasonal and 12 overall and sort the league standings by overall rating by default because the seasonal rating really plays just a minor role in comparison. It's still nice to see how much someone improves throughout a season.
~ Dubc 2010

Offline Ray

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2010, 07:47 AM »
Well, I would agree with that, can't really think of anything else to say. :)

1. Showing the overall ranks as default. I would put that to a separate link, with no Time Machine in the corner and no pages, just showing all the players based on the overall standings. A link called Ladder maybe, or something else.
::)

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2010, 07:04 PM »
Yes MI, because the best players in this league won't change every 2 months. League playoffs should only include the best players, makes perfect sense to me. They still need to play 70 games and gotta win a lot to keep their position right?

The point about playoffs qualification is not that it's good to always have different players in the POs, it's that you gotta work hard for your spot - chances are still the same for everyone.
Also, as previous seasons have shown, the top 4 seasonal players are very likely to change every season so it's not always the exact same people in the playoffs.

So my final suggestion would be to change the playoff spots to 4 seasonal and 12 overall and sort the league standings by overall rating by default because the seasonal rating really plays just a minor role in comparison. It's still nice to see how much someone improves throughout a season.

I agree with this.

But would you want to increase the length of season to 60 days? This would give more time for the playoffs to be completed. Its hard getting 4 clans and 8 singles done. 16 playes will be tough!

Online MonkeyIsland

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2010, 07:14 PM »
hmm 12 to 4 seems to have a big difference. What about 10 to 6?

I don't know about making overall default yet. We had discussed it before, the whole concept of seasons rely on the standings.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

Offline Ray

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2010, 07:16 PM »
I would also go with 12 overall, 4 seasonal, points out the increasing importance of the overall ratings. Besides, don't look at the gap, look at that there is no less spots for seasonal performance. ;)

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2010, 10:54 PM »
hmm 12 to 4 seems to have a big difference. What about 10 to 6?

I don't know about making overall default yet. We had discussed it before, the whole concept of seasons rely on the standings.

But when more playoff spots are awarded for overall which should be the case, the concept of seasonal points isnt as important as overall points. The players chasing for seaosnal point placement into the PO's can just click on the seasonal tab. Have overall as default. It really is more important because the league is a ladder.

Offline Ray

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2010, 11:37 PM »
Can't quote myself enough times...

Just create one more link, called Ladder instead of Standings and that could contain the overall rankings, all of the players, no pages, no time machine. Deal? :)

That would make the most sense, since if it has the biggest importance (which is true IMO) it can be easily placed to a separate page. Ladder would be even a nice name for that, Standings represent current standings, seasonal points.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 11:38 PM by Ray »

Offline Chicken23

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2010, 01:12 AM »
Can't quote myself enough times...

Just create one more link, called Ladder instead of Standings and that could contain the overall rankings, all of the players, no pages, no time machine. Deal? :)

That would make the most sense, since if it has the biggest importance (which is true IMO) it can be easily placed to a separate page. Ladder would be even a nice name for that, Standings represent current standings, seasonal points.

i disagree, why have 2 standing pages? It just over complicates the website even more.

Just switch it to overall as primary instead of seasonal, and then u can click on seasonal to view it when u want. Just like i currently do with overall.

Offline TheKomodo

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2010, 06:41 AM »
How about making a point system that takes into account someone's win percentage and/or their win percentage against higher ranked players which would be different than someone who had a high win % against lower ranked players.

If this is even possible?