Forums
May 17, 2024, 08:57 AM

Author Topic: TUS design flaw  (Read 501 times)

Offline Conny

• Quack

• Sweden Sweden
  • Quack!
    • View Profile
    • My website
TUS design flaw
« on: October 23, 2012, 02:48 PM »
Ever since I joined TUS this thing has been bugging me a bit..

I'm very into design and stuff and this doesn't really look right to me. The sidebar isn't aligned with the rest of the website. I would suggest to change it to this:

Agree or disagree, I just felt like pointing it out.

ps: had to do it in paint, excuse the crude execution on the example.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 02:55 PM by Conny »
Former xANKAx member.

Offline MonkeyIsland

Re: TUS design flaw
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 03:16 PM »
I think your new one looks ugly :P

Before you join, we were on a different TUS software, there we had 4 unique designs for TUS. After TUS2 release, the other 3 got dropped due to incompatibility. However I will be releasing those designs soon.

On a side note, TUS has almost 100% flexibility to get redesigned. If you are interested you can design TUS yourself and give me screenshots or HTML code. Since the flexibility is at maximum, you can code html in any way you'd like, in whatever order, whatever js library etc etc.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 03:23 PM »
so its possible to edit all menu and other stuff to navigate around on designs? thats actually great but it will take really alot of work, not sure if there is much people who will do that

Offline MonkeyIsland

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 04:59 PM »
Yea since TUS2, TUS has the max possible flexibility. You change any image you see like the animated R for replays, to loading js libraries like JQuery, MooTools or any other thing. You can redesign content, drop columns from standings, add columns etc etc ... But yea, it needs "do"ers.
Due to massive misunderstandings: MonkeyIsland refers to an island not a monkey. I would be a monkey, if my name was IslandMonkey meaning a monkey who is or lives on an island. MonkeyIsland is an island which is related to monkeys. Also there's been a legend around saying MonkeyIsland is a game. So please, think of me as an island or a game.

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 08:29 AM »
Ok,
Here is my suggestion, we can discuss from here if anyone wants to:

Left meny pannel:
hey, zippeurfou[unreadPM][Pendinggames]
  Your profile page has to be a new page where you can access to a level 2 link to edit your profile and moderate your group/clan, your league  setting (and view your file scheme as in every profile) like this page where you can access help and other stuff.
Toolbox-----------   Start a New Tournament
                              Start a New Cup
                              Start a new challenge
                              Start a new group
                              Start a new complain
                              Upload a file
                              Upload a scheme
                              Upload a map or mappack

We should be able to click on the "Toolbox" to access to level 2 link. The start a new challenge, new tournament, new cup could be grouped in one link who could be "start a new event" and from there you have a pickbox (like the one when you report and you pick the scheme pick) and pick wether it is a cup/tournament/challenge. Instead to have "scheme pick" you have "event type" with a linkable question mark who open a popup and say more about each type of event. Then you code something that say that the event is waiting for moderator approvale. Easy for the user to understand and automatic. Same goes with the start a new group where you'll be able to pick wether it is a community or a clan you want to do. The complain shouldn't be handled in a forum but rather as a private pm discussion between admin and members/clan involve in the complain.

Look for a game ---- [ x ]Clanner
                                [ x ]Single
People searching for a game [clannerNumber][SingleNumber]
This has to be done I really think this would be usefull
Report a game
The report game page has to change also. From the replay log you can already know if it is a 1vs1,2vs2,3vs3 no need to ask.
Quote from: wa log
Red:  "xTdCxfada"  as "1clanner=2hours!" [Local Player] [Host]
Blue: "ckc`crash`" as "messiiiiiiiiiiii"
Also since you asked people in their profile what is their wn nick you can auto fill the buddy part. You can also extract the scheme and suggest one. I would do it in a two step process, first upload replay then confirm information and comment game if you want to. Might sound longer but at the end I think not picking opponent, scheme, number of player will save time in global.

Analyzer
Logout

Now the top menu:
The ultimate site logo has to have a WA image and a link to the home page. The donate link could be on the bottom of the page under xhtml rss wap2 with a nice little image like in most of the sites. No forum link but a page that explain clearly what to do.
Forum Recent games  Standing  Playoffs  Hall of frame  Misc Help

In the hall of frame you would have a link to the award page and also a description saying what it is quickly so people would understand the difference between hall of frame and award.

Next is the part I am not really happy with so any discussion could be nice. I am sure that the file, scheme, map, group pages shouldn't be always accessible. It is not used often and they shouldn't get link at level 1 (always accessible). So I'd rather group them in the misc part with link level 2. What I don't like is that misc is not "user friendly"

The help part is the one who need the most work. Here you have to link on different thing: League, tournament, cup, challenge, map, schemes, group, files.

When you click on league, you will have links to:
How to report a game
Rules
Official League schemes pack

When you click on how to report a game you will have a video showing how to do it and advise as always check your opponent tus name...
When you go on the rules page you will have the basic rules for every scheme + link to every scheme specific rules.
Official league scheme pack is a link to a zip file with every official tus schemes.

For challenge, cup, tournament, group you just do a simple sentence who sum up what it is first and link it to the basic information page.

I didn't put a link to the calendar because I think its use is very very little and it could be just put an optional box in the home page.

Finally, a scheme and a map IS a file so the file part should be renamed something else...maybe misc file (but then you have to rename the misc part to other).

On a last note, the first page with all the boxes shouldn't be like that for someone not registered. It should give basic information about what wa and tus are (link to a nice video with show off to make some advertisement... any idea welcome). One you created an account it changes to invite you to put custom boxes (like recent games...) if you want to. Same goes with the chatbox it should be optional.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 08:35 AM by zippeurfou »