Forums > Promotion Project

Thesis: No mobile W:A version -> no future

<< < (2/3) > >>

h3oCharles:
yea, control schemes are going to be a pain in the @$$

Urben:

--- Quote from: Xrayez on December 28, 2017, 09:13 AM ---There's a worms clone I'm working on as a sole developer, mostly as a replacement to playing W:A. The game engine I'm using supports exporting the source code to: Android, iOS, Mac OSX, Windows Universal, Windows Desktop, Linux... and recently even HTML5 for web browsers.
--- End quote ---
Hey that looks quite good so far! Good job! I've put Godot aside for an unrelated idea too.  :D

--- Quote from: Xrayez on December 28, 2017, 09:13 AM ---But... Performance trade-offs is something to consider when developing for both mobile and desktop platforms. Lets be honest, desktops are far more powerful than mobile devices.

--- End quote ---
Of course. All I noticed is that Worms run on every potato PC. But I fear the ARM architecture is a huge factor where the required work is located.

--- Quote from: Xrayez on December 28, 2017, 09:21 AM ---As I know, W:A relies on input-driven simulation. It would be quite difficult if not impossible to implement deterministic, input-driven simulation across different architectures, operating systems, compiler versions, floating point calculations optimization etc... Most games rely on state-based approach instead, where, for instance, the worm's position is recorded every frame and stored in memory, while input-driven implementations allow to fire-off recorded keystrokes at specified frames to fully reconstruct the world's state at any point of gameplay.
--- End quote ---
I am aware that the input is special compared to other games. Surely I'm naive on how hard it is to implement on Android :D

j0e:

--- Quote from: Urben on December 28, 2017, 05:58 PM ---

--- Quote from: Xrayez on December 28, 2017, 09:21 AM ---As I know, W:A relies on input-driven simulation. It would be quite difficult if not impossible to implement deterministic, input-driven simulation across different architectures, operating systems, compiler versions, floating point calculations optimization etc... Most games rely on state-based approach instead, where, for instance, the worm's position is recorded every frame and stored in memory, while input-driven implementations allow to fire-off recorded keystrokes at specified frames to fully reconstruct the world's state at any point of gameplay.
--- End quote ---
I am aware that the input is special compared to other games. Surely I'm naive on how hard it is to implement on Android :D

--- End quote ---
What he's saying is that Windows and Android (or other OSes) do math differently. Due to rounding errors, even with the exact same code (assuming it would run), the same input of keystrokes on Windows might have a different result on Android. Which would cause desynchronizations and make cross-play impossible.

Urben:
I get what he means. ;)

I had the impression that Worms is working with integers all the time anyway because it is so much deterministic.

StepS:

--- Quote from: Urben on December 28, 2017, 06:13 PM ---I get what he means. ;)

I had the impression that Worms is working with integers all the time anyway because it is so much deterministic.

--- End quote ---
The game works with fixed-point numbers, where 16 bits are used to represent the integer part, and 16 bits the decimal part.
Before attempting to port to mobile devices, the game would first have to be ported to other PC platforms such as Mac and Linux. The biggest problem is MFC which is used by the game's frontend. Until those obstacles are resolved, mobile is not a possibility.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version